The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:55 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:29 am What a fabulous video that is, it's the first email I viewed on my laptop this morning and wow it blew me away so much I had to play it on the 55'' inch telly. The views are amazing and what a massive difference the front view makes. You have got to tell us how you managed that Dazza. Was MAM driving the loco also....

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant...... :thumbright:
Rod, see my post reply to Jimmy with some pics. I sort of drove the loco, I left it to it's own to sort it out. I like slow realistic running which to me is soothing. It got a rattle up for one lap, but settled down. MAM's loco has a Slomo and I think these are compulsory. To go and watch on a 55" , crikey, there are so many loose ends and gaps and seams and rocks to fill in, I would think the big screen show them all up a lot more. I am pleased that many enjoy, sharing is enjoying.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:01 pm

On her way home last night the head horticulturist and chairperson of the POR board (MAM) called into to the big green box of the evil empire last night and returned with materials and more plants.
MAM is a sweetie, she presented a cute new little cactus to the POR head grafter, which was planted without hesitation into the POR's cactus garden.

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:04 pm

More concrete last night. 30 kgs worth. I am still amazed how little a 20kg bag goes. This railway is a black hole for concrete to be tipped into. Only once will I impose this footprint on the world we live in. I feel guilty at times.
A slate wall will appear here soon. The station building is just a temporary affair, just polnked there for kicks and giggles.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:26 am

Thanks for the information on the camera wagon Dazza.

Love that new cactus...What is the name of it please mate.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:55 am

Just watched the video right through. It gives an idea of how just how much work has gone into this quite complex system. Faultless performance. Not surprising as obviously no corners have been cut with the trackbed which is top notch. A great run through a superb rocky terrain
which will be even more stunning when all your plantings mature.
Any problems with wildlife nesting in the tunnels, or wind blown detritus getting in?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:34 pm

FWLR wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:26 am Thanks for the information on the camera wagon Dazza.

MAM found it at the Big Green Box of the evil empire. The tag has no name, just " Snazzy Succulents, Cactus Species" . I am afraid that is not much help.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:41 pm

invicta280 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:55 am Just watched the video right through. It gives an idea of how just how much work has gone into this quite complex system. Faultless performance. Not surprising as obviously no corners have been cut with the trackbed which is top notch. A great run through a superb rocky terrain
which will be even more stunning when all your plantings mature.
Any problems with wildlife nesting in the tunnels, or wind blown detritus getting in?
No problems with wild life yet, we were afraid the Brush Turkeys would smash the garden up as they scratch about, or decide to make a nesting mound near by, but all has been good. Leaves, yes, lots of leaves, I hose the track down before a decent run session and then wipe the track with the scourer pad side of an old dish sponge and few drops of light oil on the rails on the entry to the loops. Cleans the grit off and smoother steady proper running speed for the manual locos. I am yet to make tunnel doors, the list is still long. As for rock, I had to put some small rocks in last night and I look at rock work with dread at the moment. I am all rocked out.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:43 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:34 pm
FWLR wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:26 am Thanks for the information on the camera wagon Dazza.

MAM found it at the Big Green Box of the evil empire. The tag has no name, just " Snazzy Succulents, Cactus Species" . I am afraid that is not much help.
Thanks anyway Dazza. Will try to look for it online and get a name for it..

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:21 pm

I did a bit more slate wall in the morning.

Then the sun arrived and it was time to retreat to under a roof. I was doing jobs in the Red Room like hanging my firing shovels and little tidy ups and then clean the room, mop the floor.

With the major terra forming done on the POR just as the hot weather arrives, time to get back to my little loco build and knock it over so I can then start the 5" 253 in a couple of years time. When the shade arrived at the slate wall site, I finished it off before dark.

Made a dirt road as well at the Orchid house loop. Still to be brushed off.

Plantings are filling in nicely

and a few more corners done over the weekend.

The Bonsai cavities are still a project to be sorted. Kit buildings as well to be done one day.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:21 pm

All looking lovely. The slate walling is so nice, takes the hard edge off the concrete. Plants taking hold so well they will need taming soon.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:59 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:21 pm All looking lovely. The slate walling is so nice, takes the hard edge off the concrete. Plants taking hold so well they will need taming soon.

Thanks Peter, I have another wall to do but there is a crises of Slat Chip supply here. I need another 15kg bag of chips but this now proving hard to locate here down under. Plant trimming before the new ruin session should not be too difficult. The fast growers are located in the easier access areas so with luck a bucket full for the compost bin every now and then.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:23 am

Looking really impressive on all fronts Dazza. love the slate walling. Are you putting some on the walls under the track in your photos. The Red Room still amazes me hows pink and sap it is. I never seen such a clean engineering room....The plant are looking wonderful, filling out beautifully.

I haven't seen Willamina for a few days, hope she is doing ok...

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:44 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:23 am Looking really impressive on all fronts Dazza. love the slate walling. Are you putting some on the walls under the track in your photos. The Red Room still amazes me hows pink and sap it is. I never seen such a clean engineering room....The plant are looking wonderful, filling out beautifully.

I haven't seen Willamina for a few days, hope she is doing ok...
Thanks Rod, all the slate is just walled up against the concrete base, none under the track. You might be seeing my pile that I rummage through to seek the next suitable piece to receive a small dollop of liquid nails and before being placed onto the growing wall. There is a problem, the supply of chip slate down under seems to be = Zero now, the bags are discontinued and I have need for another bag. This is a worry. :scratch:
I work in a gritty bike making workshop daily, so a nice hobby room is my need. The Red Room is the next room to the bike making workshop under our house. Make it nice and enjoy. Plant growth is pleasing us, tank water, regular worm juice from the work farm and yay !
Willamina and more of her clan are doing well, they scurry about the place every day gobbling up insects.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:13 am

Great to hear Willamina and her clan are doing well. Wish we had them up here, those spiders get everywhere in our garden, especially in the big bush, for which I have completely forgotten the name of. Phillipy did tell me....

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:05 am

Coming up extremely well, that is. Few examples of a first railway come up that well, or at the very least mine certainly didn't. I must agree on the workshop front - It ought be clean, tidy and well-organised at all times. Will have to return to this thread to take notes, when I get to build my own workshop in a couple of years..
That I-beam running overhead, I presume is to facilitate the future 5" work?
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:44 am

Old Man Aaron wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:05 am Coming up extremely well, that is. Few examples of a first railway come up that well, or at the very least mine certainly didn't. I must agree on the workshop front - It ought be clean, tidy and well-organised at all times. Will have to return to this thread to take notes, when I get to build my own workshop in a couple of years..
That I-beam running overhead, I presume is to facilitate the future 5" work?
The I-beam is for 5" and boilers and it was used to lift the mill and lathe off the crates or off the ute out side. The beam runs outside to the carport. One can unload and load under cover, rain or sun, night or day.
For more pics of the workshop and stuff going go here

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopi ... &start=600

and or here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyn ... 076/page1

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:03 pm

The first Cactus planted in the POR Cactus garden flowered yesterday, pic taken early in the morning, by sundown it was gone. There are more buds on their way.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:25 am

That is a really beautiful flower. Is it only a one day flower then Dazza...

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:12 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:25 am That is a really beautiful flower. Is it only a one day flower then Dazza...
Yes, and the pop open at night. There a few more buds appearing. You can also see a little stingless native honey bee on the flower.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:21 am

I did see an insect Dazza, but of course had no idea what is called. Shame such a beautiful flower shows for only one day.