The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:07 pm

The Potters Orchid Railway's senior management went into action last night. The 920mm siding extension was poured, 60kg mixed in a barrow by the head grafter and troweled by MAM. (POR board chair and many other executive positions) A sizeable ash pit is included so this extension can be used as a steaming bay. All was keyed with 1/4" galv rod in with Concremate and two 1/4" galv rods that run under the ash pit for reinforcement. The head grafter will soon realise his long time dream to have a small cactus garden in the garden railway. This will be next to the extension. Head horticulturist and POR chair person is researching the correct soil types to be used.

Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:22 am

I am sure with MAM's researching you will have a cactus garden that will be a joy to see Dazza. You do have some very excellent ideas to have an railway line to be admired. I do anyway... :thumbright:

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:27 am

One can never have too much siding space on a garden line. :thumbright:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:54 pm

The workshop lads sorted the dead O ring in MAM's safety so the constant leaking whisper is gone. Test steaming with 12 axles on the hook, 34 mins and then 37 mins actual moving time, 30 psi, chugging at a peaceful and realistic speed. Slartibartfast placed the stone bridge in place to sort the rock work plan at Potters Junction, but he was muttering moans about the restricted space.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:04 am

That does look tight Dazza....

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:28 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:04 am That does look tight Dazza....
Major work in this area has begun, poured a new footing for the block wall to move it out and give more room for the bridge. Creative ideas are flowing. I will not be building another garden railway but I have sure learnt a lot and would do a lot differently but that is the journey eh.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:01 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:28 pm
FWLR wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:04 am That does look tight Dazza....
Major work in this area has begun, poured a new footing for the block wall to move it out and give more room for the bridge. Creative ideas are flowing. I will not be building another garden railway but I have sure learnt a lot and would do a lot differently but that is the journey eh.
It sure is Dazza.
I have learnt so much since my endeavours in garden railway, but mistakes are still made, thankfully though, not major ones.....

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:36 pm

The civil engineers were in action at the Potters Orchid Railway, however some uncivilised mutters frequently echoed over the landscape. Block wall alignment changed to fit and protect the stone arch bridge. Rocks were heaved about , contemplation, more heaving and more contemplation. More grunts, then the rocks were moved aside, concrete foundation mixed and poured. 100kg of ready mix in mixed in the barrow. Rock heaved back into place. The last big push on rock work is on, using up all left over rock available. We hope it all looks OK after a few Reds in the evening moon light.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:38 pm

The POR's head horticulturist was preparing the Cactus garden. The POR's marketing director believes this will be a good addition to the attractions for tourists and passengers. The real reason is the head grafter (Captain Plod) always wanted a cute cactus garden.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:00 am

Those cacti will look really nice when they have aged a bit Dazza. MAM is great at her biology isn't she..

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:29 pm

MAM "Do you need any more rock?"
Me 'Nah, plenty enough to use up.'
One week later.
Me "#*&$%##@*!!! there is not enough rock, I need more rock..."
15mins later
MAM, "$10 as much as you want, 15min drive" (via the ether net)
We set sail for the rock collection and load up.
MAM "Do yo want this one ?"
Me 'Nah'
Me 5mins later, my cranium thinks, that rock is a close 30 degree angle, that might go into the junction and we need a stepping stone. So it is loaded into the Dunnydoor.
An hour later I am grunting and perspiring as I roll more rock out the back of the Dunnydoor wagon and with luck it only has to be rolled a few meters down hill to Potters Junction. Also another trip to get yet more bagged concrete.
3 hours later I am also placing the pointy rock into concrete in the V of the junction and a lovely access stepping stone it will be.
MAM " Agh see, it was a good rock" :roll:
After some contemplation juice (Coppers Pale Ale) while channeling Slartibartfast it was decided that two rocks were to be removed and replaced. Grunt grunt, heave heave, grunt heave, mix concrete, heave grunt. Who the heck needs Gym membership. 12 hours later, another 100kg of concrete mixed in the barrow I reckon we might be 1/3 the way through Potters Junction terra forming.

Some nice orchids from MAM's collection are appearing upstairs in the barracks .

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:26 pm

Wonderful story and great pictures....that angled rock was waiting for you.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:35 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:26 pm Wonderful story and great pictures....that angled rock was waiting for you.
Yes, it was patiently waiting for millions of years as it knew it was destined to be the stepping stone in that location.
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:49 pm

From this moment on the curves heading west from Potters Junction will now be known as the "Cactus Curves"

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:58 pm

"Alight here for the Orchid House"
Some current output from MAM's Orchid house that is located above the Orchid House Loop

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:20 am

That is a very beautiful display Dazza. Shows MAM's artistry to the next level. Love those Orchids also, unfortunately I don't have much success in growing them. We buy them from the centres, but they never last.....

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:53 pm

FWLR wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:20 am That is a very beautiful display Dazza. Shows MAM's artistry to the next level. Love those Orchids also, unfortunately I don't have much success in growing them. We buy them from the centres, but they never last.....
Thanks , she is smarter than the average bear eh Boo Boo

MAM got the orchid books, joined an Orchid club, they do need re-potting all sorting their feeding regime and not over watering. I have no idea of how to look after them etc.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:04 pm

While the head horticulturalist attended to more Bonsai, in particular the one that is in the V at the Orchid House Loop the head grafter was mixing mortar and filling in the rock work at Potters Junction. The thoughts of if the loop radius was greater it would require double the weight of rock, now that would not be very appealing to the labour force. Warm weather has struck, which is not welcome as the shorts are out with the 31 degree days here in September. :(

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:02 pm

The Potters Orchid Railway's rock supply is diminishing, a few more in place, ready for mortar. The end of the major rock work that has occupied the labour force every evening and most weekends these last 4 months is in sight. YAY!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:26 am

I'm impressed with the way you've numbered the rocks and marked their relative positions. You've taken the art of "painting by numbers" into landscaping ...... 👍

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube