The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:29 pm

"Wallace, do you think it is a good idea to be up there ?"

"# 4 Starter is installed and tested OK, I reckon we are done Shaun"
"Baaaaaa baaaa"

Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:37 pm

The visiting locos arrive for the test operations. Wallace is bit too excited while the workshop foredog is contemplating the days operations.

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:38 pm

"Its a Bundy Fowler"

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:42 pm

Coal fired operations on the POR begin with Ben's loco.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:49 pm

The creatures of the deep poke their heads up to see what the heck is going on above their domain.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:51 pm

Even "Monty" came by for a bit of train spotting at the POR.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:56 pm

" I really think you should come down now Wallace, your tea is getting cold."

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:00 am

Operations were going well and then a third loco was let out of the yard onto the mainline.
Whoops
SPAD
Out with the flying gang
and
Paper work...
The POR is happy to report the tanker wagon was already empty, but this does present suspicious implications with regard to this incident.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:05 am

More reports from the first test operations at the POR.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:30 am

The contractor for the POR tunnel portals and stone bridge is close to delivering so the head grafter of the POR last night grunted some rocks closer to their final location. The last big push of terra forming is on. However the extensive signaling system is a project for next year.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:56 am

That greenery really compliments the rock-work well. Is the signalling at this end of the line now complete?
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:38 pm "Its a Bundy Fowler"
I can understand Wallace's excitement over the Bundy, having been of the same mind when I bought mine. 8)

Looks a great time (SPADS aside) was had running. Hope no clearance issues crept through?

Regards,
Aaron
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:44 am

Old Man Aaron wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:56 am That greenery really compliments the rock-work well. Is the signalling at this end of the line now complete?
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:38 pm "Its a Bundy Fowler"
I can understand Wallace's excitement over the Bundy, having been of the same mind when I bought mine. 8)

Looks a great time (SPADS aside) was had running. Hope no clearance issues crept through?

Regards,
Aaron

Thanks
If all goes to plan, in 6 months time a lot more greenery should cover most if not all of the sugar cane mulch and a lot of the intended greenery will be running over many rock faces and over the back ground block wall.
Signalling is now fully operational if desired and is mostly complete at the Orchid Loop end of the line but for a one starter's base area not yet filled in which is a little job to do in the afternoons as the days get longer and there is the permanent water proof battery box to be fitted next to the lever frame. Another small job to fill in spare moments. Also the final cover for the lever frame and the Pendle Valley signal box, Midi station kits to build (I have never attempted resin buildings before) and it will be placed in the V of the Orchid House loop. There is actually an imprint for it's base in the concrete.
The big grunt is now to build the cuttings, rock and hill over the tunnel at Potters Junction. This will fill in the next 4-6 weeks.Then plant it out so they are underway for the summer. There are then the final buildings. The actual Potters Junction station yard and buildings will left to titter along into 2021 and 2022. I need to get back to the Red Room and work on my coal fired loco build.
The Bundy Fowler is a new loco my good friend Chris recently bought. He is also a driver at the Mary Valley Rattler.
One little project is to extend one of the sidings by 800mm - 1000mm to ease a pathway pinch point when some one is servicing their loco there. Discovering such things is what the test run of the weekend was for.
The paths, shelter awning and more gardens against the back fence is also a big push to be done before the new year.
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:55 am

Looking fantastic Dazza. You and MAM have worked so hard to bring us what is a superb line. The greenery is looking brilliant and those Bonsai trees MAM has cultured work so well. They look like they have been there well before the line was built. Just like it would have been in real life maybe...

Always look forward to seeing your brilliant photos too, they kind of whisk me away to a different world...

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:29 pm

FWLR wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:55 am Looking fantastic Dazza. You and MAM have worked so hard to bring us what is a superb line. The greenery is looking brilliant and those Bonsai trees MAM has cultured work so well. They look like they have been there well before the line was built. Just like it would have been in real life maybe...

Always look forward to seeing your brilliant photos too, they kind of whisk me away to a different world...
We are pleased it is of enjoyment for others. We are most certainly enjoying the journey. We have never done this before, just SMT mag, forums and FB for this. When most of the major work is completed I want to be back in the Red Room doing metal work working on my coal fired loco and move onto the 5" gauge locos.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:09 pm

The pottery contract to the in house potter is almost complete. Liquid nails in use. The big push with the last major terra forming operation is underway at the 'Potters Orchid Railway'.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:33 pm

Very nice indeed, good, warm colour contrast with the natural stone. What a team!!!!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:47 pm

The braces removed this morning for the reveal.
Due to a degree of unpredictability of the ceramic shrinkage post firing and if we were doing this again I would have the portals to hand first and build the tunnel concrete form work to fit the portals. However for us, it is a garden railway, not a fine scale model railway. A wee bit of black paint and a few glasses of red, all is sweet. The big rocks have to be hurled about again and concrete laid for them to be hurled back into place for a good foundation, as done be before at the end of the line. I have two weekends free before I have a big four days in a row on full size steam at the Mary Valley Rattler. Living the dream with a good lass.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:53 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:33 pm Very nice indeed, good, warm colour contrast with the natural stone. What a team!!!!
Thanks. MAM is enjoying adding her skills to the project and much fun. She is very much involved. She is still to finish off her loco but has started on the cab and tank plate work and is also keen for a string of slate wagons.
If all goes well, other than the major signaling work which will drift into 2021 or 2022 then most of the grunt will be done by new year. Then it is fun details and back to the Red Room and metal work on my coal fired loco build. I am a metal worked at heart.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:21 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:47 pm if we were doing this again I would have the portals to hand first and build the tunnel concrete form work to fit the portals.
I find it's often a 'chicken and egg' thing when needing to fit bits together like that, and hindsight is a wonderful thing. The end result looks good though, whichever way round.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:17 am

Your Lass is fantastic Dazza. We are so lucky to have wonderful people in our lives aren't we.

The walk bridge is looking superb and is just so right for your absolutely wonderful line. You will be able to enjoy many hours with MAM and friends for many years to come on it.