Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by FWLR » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:13 am

Drat...I had the chance of buying 4 in January but when I was told they were Lima/Hornby I thought they were oo..... :(

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:44 am

FWLR wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:13 am Drat...I had the chance of buying 4 in January but when I was told they were Lima/Hornby I thought they were oo..... :(
Rod, if 'Hornby' was mentioned they probably were '00'. Also, if the price sounded reasonable they were unlikely to be Lima... they are quite expensive now.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:17 pm

A cracking model Peter - really love unusual stuff like that!

Have you a video of it in operation?
Check out my steam and engineering youtube channel at...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8vX4P ... _PnvhldjjA

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:23 pm

I fear no video has been taken of this locomotive, as when Rik kindly filmed the last video here it was out of favour for not working satisfactorily.
I hope that when Rik visits next time (?) he can include all the new locos and rolling stock, which have increased quite dramatically during lock-down, and soon there will be more!
The unusual ones are definitely my personal favourites too.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:27 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:44 am
FWLR wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:13 am Drat...I had the chance of buying 4 in January but when I was told they were Lima/Hornby I thought they were oo..... :(
Rod, if 'Hornby' was mentioned they probably were '00'. Also, if the price sounded reasonable they were unlikely to be Lima... they are quite expensive now.
Good job I didn't buy them then Peter. Thanks for the information also mate. See how little I know on modelling.... :roll: :roll:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:29 am

By the way Peter, like you say, they are really impossible to find now, well eBay don't have any I can't find them on there.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:13 pm

I'm sure you all know by now I have an interest in early railways, nothing technical, just the variety and ingenuity of design and appearance, machines of real beauty, as well as function.
My own narrow gauge hybrid, based on a cross between 'Agenoria' and 'Rocket' has been seen here before, but looking a little forlorn with no duty to perform.
But now she has coaches to pull and passengers to deliver.....
IMG_7576.JPG
IMG_7576.JPG (163.62 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
IMG_7578.JPG
IMG_7578.JPG (174.11 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
IMG_7577.JPG
IMG_7577.JPG (153.06 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
IMG_7579.JPG
IMG_7579.JPG (141.21 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
These wonderful coach kits were specially made for me by Jerry Irwin, they are produced to his usual extremely high standard, each part perfectly locates to its neighbour, chassis with ball-race bearings (as standard) and additional detail including steps and vents. I am delighted with the result.....
I will add door knobs, roof lamp-tops and handrails for the poor unfortunate employee whose job it is to install them.

IMG_7572.JPG
IMG_7572.JPG (115.16 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
IMG_7573.JPG
IMG_7573.JPG (111.93 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
IMG_7574.JPG
IMG_7574.JPG (150.74 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
IMG_7570.JPG
IMG_7570.JPG (114.33 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
When building my Bug Boxes I described Jerry as the 'Kit Master' and have no problem with repeating it.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:14 am

Another great build Peter and a very "jaunty" livery. It certainly was a time of elegance in design. I heard somebody say once, "they didn't have to make them that way, but they did".
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:50 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:23 pm .......
I hope that when Rik visits next time (?) he can include all the new locos and rolling stock, .......
Looking forward to it ..... but not venturing very far at the moment. Let's hope things get back to normal before too long ....

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:55 am

Those Victorian style coaches look amazingly good! Not just the quality of the kits but also the high standard of finish. They must definitely be on the list for the next video.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:10 am

Very nice coaches they are Peter. Like the way the windows bow. They certain add character to the body as well.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:34 am

Thank you all, I do appreciate your feedback. I love these unusual coaches and feel so fortunate to know Jerry, he sympathises with my quirky requests and is willing, and able, to translate them into 3D kits. I know that Jerry is now busy catching up on orders for the Bug Boxes, who know how many 'Rocket' style coaches will now be snapped up too?
Thank you Jerry!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:41 pm

Those are really lovely, so full of character! You and Jerry make quite a team...

Having worked with MDF for the first time recently I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of finish that can be achieved. Are you using MDF sealer before priming and painting?

All the best,

Andrew

PS When I saw these they reminded me of Colonel Stephens's Royal Saloons - when I looked up some pictures I found there's not much of a similarity, but it's still an interesting story... https://colonelstephenssociety.co.uk/ro ... aloon.html

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:38 pm

Andrew, thanks for the comment, I do enjoy working with Jerry, he is so professional.
MDF has a bad press in some quarters; I prefer it to ply as there is no grain in the surface, which is always over scale and frequently running in the wrong direction.
For preparation I use a filler/primer (two coats) followed by light sanding, then several light top coats. Clear lacquer (gloss) followed by satin and/or matt lacquer to give a finish to your own preference.
Never, repeat.... never sand the MDF before applying paint or sealer as it only roughs the surface and absorbs paint etc. in patches.
I hope this helps.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:32 am

Sorry Peter, but can you please expand a little bit on how you prepare your mdf. I am a bit of a :tool: sometimes when it comes to reading things.... :roll:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:23 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:38 pm Andrew, thanks for the comment, I do enjoy working with Jerry, he is so professional.
MDF has a bad press in some quarters; I prefer it to ply as there is no grain in the surface, which is always over scale and frequently running in the wrong direction.
For preparation I use a filler/primer (two coats) followed by light sanding, then several light top coats. Clear lacquer (gloss) followed by satin and/or matt lacquer to give a finish to your own preference.
Never, repeat.... never sand the MDF before applying paint or sealer as it only roughs the surface and absorbs paint etc. in patches.
I hope this helps.
Thanks Peter, very helpful. Can I check, do you sand the charred edges, where the laser has burned the wood, or just prime them?

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:13 pm

Andrew, I do sand the charred edges with very fine wet and dry paper (used dry), as they are more porous than the surface material. In some instances I also use a colour matched acrylic paint to help with disguising them.
I am a lousy teacher I know; when I work I do so on auto pilot without much thought about what I'm doing, and find it difficult to describe, or recall, exactly what I have done.

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:52 am

Those coaches are fantastic Peter! Really capture the look of the early rolling stock. Having never built a coach before, do your paint the main body of the coach and the outer 'layer' separately, then glue the outer 'layer' on top?

Think I'm going to have to fire my laser cutter up and make some!
Check out my steam and engineering youtube channel at...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8vX4P ... _PnvhldjjA

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:38 am

Yes Jim, separate layers painted individually and attached later.
Somewhere in my ramblings I have tried my best (although not perfectly!) to explain my building and painting methods. It can vary according to materials used, although not much. I have a preference for acrylics in both spray and brush paints, also acrylic lacquer in aerosol form. The comparisons I made whilst constructing the Bug Boxes (from page 150 on my thread) give a clearer story in picture form.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:40 pm

I am very pleased with the appearance of my 'Rocket' style coaches, especially with the grasshopper loco. However, the locomotive, like several I have from my early exhibition days, has a Lima motor bogie in the tender which was originally track powered. The loco therefore has no battery pack, or room to fit one, so I have decided to add the necessary control equipment in one of the coaches.
This has another advantage in that my original power wagon, which was not in period with the train, and added extra weight, can now be used elsewhere. Without it the little locomotive manages far better, as well as looking the part.....
IMG_7588.JPG
IMG_7588.JPG (197.15 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
IMG_7589.JPG
IMG_7589.JPG (184.23 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
I have had to strip out one compartment completely in order to get the 10 AA battery pack, Rx and various connectors and wiring inside.....
IMG_7596.JPG
IMG_7596.JPG (120.19 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
To conceal it all I made a false floor with seating attached which just lifts out....
IMG_7595.JPG
IMG_7595.JPG (161.64 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
.....which covers all of the gubbins....
IMG_7593.JPG
IMG_7593.JPG (125.67 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
The various connectors and switches are not too conspicuous.....
IMG_7592.JPG
IMG_7592.JPG (123.83 KiB) Viewed 4272 times