(WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Andrew

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by Andrew » Wed May 20, 2020 6:23 pm

Bowaters do 'em, but only in their preservation guise. If I get stuck (or lazy!) I might see if Jon will sell me the 3D printed guards duckets!

Cheers,

Andrew.

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:57 pm

Andrew wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:23 pm Bowaters do 'em, but only in their preservation guise. If I get stuck (or lazy!) I might see if Jon will sell me the 3D printed guards duckets!

Cheers,

Andrew.
Considering I hadn't seen a image of them pre preservation, a pre preservation kit could happen :) And yes, I'll happily sell the 3D printed Guards Duckets to you if you wanted.

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu May 21, 2020 2:07 am

That certainly is a characterful carriage Andrew, and it has side steps :mrgreen:
Looking forward to your build.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 21, 2020 7:55 am

Clever idea with the magnets - consider it pinched ...... 😉

The new carriage certainly looks characterful! Looking forward to seeing it develop. Disappointed though that you didn't recycle casters for the bogies 😃

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu May 21, 2020 8:14 am

Looking forward to another interesting build Andrew. With your skills should be another one that would grace any line...Especially mine... :lol: :lol:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 21, 2020 10:40 am

LNR wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:07 am and it has side steps
Yep, another opportunity for a little gentle weathering with the sandpaper!

I was looking at pictures of FfR Ashbury carriages 21 and 22 yesterday and noted a quite unusual arrangement of foot boards whereby the two compartments at each end (which have higher floors to accommodate the bogies) have 'em, but the middle three don't. That'll make for an interesting feature when I get round to building one of those - currently scheduled for about 2035...

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 21, 2020 10:42 am

ge_rik wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:55 am Disappointed though that you didn't recycle casters for the bogies 😃
I consider the use of Big Big bogies "up-cycling"! It's certainly up-sizing...

Cheers,

Andrew.

PS If you fancy the magnet idea you might want to use slightly bigger ones - I reckon my 4mm ones could use a little more oomph...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 21, 2020 10:50 am

Andrew wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:42 am
PS If you fancy the magnet idea you might want to use slightly bigger ones - I reckon my 4mm ones could use a little more oomph...
Thanks for that tip. I've got assorted sizes I've accumulated over the years, I'll try a couple of the larger ones.

Rik
------------------------

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 21, 2020 11:27 am

angr607 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:57 pm Considering I hadn't seen a image of them pre preservation, a pre preservation kit could happen :) And yes, I'll happily sell the 3D printed Guards Duckets to you if you wanted.
Jon
Thanks Jon! I'll let you know re the duckets... I really ought to try to make my own, I have done for my last two passenger brakes, but it is a bit of a fiddle...

The Festiniog iBase photo library has some wonderful pictures of the two vans, I'll post some links later...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 21, 2020 1:57 pm

Andrew wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:27 am
The Festiniog iBase photo library has some wonderful pictures of the two vans, I'll post some links later...
So, as promised:

Here's Van 4 at Port: http://217.34.233.120:8086/zoom-item?ke ... NjFNGQ/210

And at Minffordd, in the preservation era but pre-rebuild: http://217.34.233.120:8086/index.php?a= ... jFNGQ/1579

There's a nice one of it on the Cob too, but I can't find that now.

It's essentially similar to how it is now, but with three distinct compartments (3/3/1, with the first nearest the brake end), no observation end windows or corridor connection, and match-boarded below the windows.

Van 5 was the more or less the same, but with an "observation" section instead of the first class compartment, and slightly different duckets. Note that it's shorter than its current guise by one compartment.

See http://217.34.233.120:8086/zoom-item?ke ... NjFNGQ/196

and: http://217.34.233.120:8086/index.php?a= ... jFNGQ/2684

The caption of that last one says that the observation compartment was unglazed, but I'm not sure - I reckon it might have droplights in all the windows, not just the door.

In some ways Van 5 is the more interesting of the pair - I was tempted to go for that one, and I reckon I will build it at some stage, but I really like the neat lines of Van 4 so I'm going to have a crack at that one first.

Cheers,

Andrew.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Thu May 21, 2020 4:59 pm

I'm almost certain that Van 5 was fully glazed in the obs section. Festipedia states that it was a composite; I imagine the obs section was first, similar to the glazed porthole bug boxes.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat May 30, 2020 1:26 pm

Afternoon all!

A little progress to report on my model of FR Van 4...

The model uses 7mm NG Association drawings, which I had the (rare) foresight to photocopy up to 16mm scale before work closed down. They're very good, but inevitably small inaccuracies become much larger ones when you enlarge the drawings, so care needs to be taken. Anyway, I stick 'em on to 1.5mm ply with re-positionable artists' mount spray, then get to work with the Stanley Knife:

Brake 1.jpg
Brake 1.jpg (259.59 KiB) Viewed 5786 times

I only had to cut the sides,thanks to Peter B, who I'd contacted for the measurements of Lineside Hut carriage partitions - he's the only person I know with LH carriages, and I wondered about using the partitions to speed up the build process and ensure accuracy, never my strong point. As it turned out, Peter was not only happy to measure them, but also had a whole load of spare ones left over from his build which he kindly offered to send me - thanks Peter!

So here are sides and ends glued together into the basic shape of the carriage:

Brake 2.jpg
Brake 2.jpg (193.59 KiB) Viewed 5786 times

The big openings in the sides are where the duckets will go, and the ones in the end are recesses for droplights - these are only internal end walls at the moment, so I've managed to put off cutting the curved windows for a little longer...

Outer ends will be the next job, then there'll be a pause for a stock take. I need some 0.5mm ply for this and another project, which will have to be purchased online at the moment - the postage will be high though, so I want to order anything else I need at the same time.

Anyway, so far, so good. It's a nicely sized and proportioned carriage I think, perhaps surprisingly so considering the real thing started life as a full brake and was only converted into this configuration nearly 50 years after it was built...

Cheers all,

Andrew.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sat May 30, 2020 2:57 pm

Looking good so far Andrew!

It'll be interesting to see the next steps.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat May 30, 2020 4:05 pm

Excellent start Andrew, I always think cutting through ply is a risky business, but as long as you still have the correct number of fingers that's OK.
Looking back at the black/white photograph you posted there is a lot of hardware on there..... handles, grab-rails, window bars, hinges, brackets, step supports etc.... that is a full three course meal of a model to make but it will look superb.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 30, 2020 8:35 pm

You seem to have a really good hand and eye. Those coach sides look very crisp and clean-cut.

Rik
------------------------

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun May 31, 2020 2:05 am

I agree with Rik, it's not easy to cut out windows and have them all as even as yours. Great work.
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun May 31, 2020 7:50 am

A masterclass on cutting ply Andrew. Looks like another fantastic build coming again from your workshop. :thumbright:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:02 am

Thanks chaps, glad you approve of the work so far!

I'm afraid I seem to have chosen a very flattering angle for the photo - if you were to look closely you'd see all sorts of wonkiness! I like to think it adds to the light railway charm...

Cheers,

Andrew.

cncmodeller
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by cncmodeller » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:45 pm

It doesn't matter if there are any wonky bits as long as you do a nice job of the painting! If you feel the need to reach for the toilet brush and emulsion paint like most 16mm modellers just stop and do it another day. Just look on Ebay and you'll see what I mean.
I always use two coats of sanding sealer rubbed down in between then a good coat or two of cellulose primer then a top coat, this is usually done with a spray gun as you get a nice even flow compared to a fluttering spray can.
I've found a good source of masking tape too, It's a 50mm wide roll of what's called 'professional tape' by Tesa about £10 it's exactly like that expensive Tamiya Tape with the same charactistics but if you are using cellulose you do need to give the paint a couple of days at least to harden otherwise the tape will mark the paint.

John

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:42 am

cncmodeller wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:45 pm It doesn't matter if there are any wonky bits as long as you do a nice job of the painting! If you feel the need to reach for the toilet brush and emulsion paint like most 16mm modellers just stop and do it another day. Just look on Ebay and you'll see what I mean.
I couldn't agree more! Thankfully, that's the bit I can usually do relatively well, so I can bodge away feeling relatively confident I'll end up with something I'm pleased with ... Thanks for the tip about masking tape...

I've made a little more progress with the latest project (seats and ends) - photos of that and other projects soon!

Andrew.