Brass tube diameter

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
wingnut
Cleaner
Cleaner

Brass tube diameter

Post by wingnut » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:07 pm

Hi

I am looking to add a pressure gauge to my MSS model, I am just wondering what the correct size is of the copper tube from the regulator to the reversing block so I can order the correct T Piece, and does anyone know a good supplier of copper pipe and T pieces.

Thanks

Wingnut

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Brass tube diameter

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:22 pm

Measure it? Even if you can only measure it in mm you can look up the equivalent Imperial size.

Macc Models provides a fast delivery online service:

https://maccmodels.co.uk/

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:21 am

The copper pipe size is 1/8”. However, unless I’ve misunderstood your intention, you can’t install a pressure gauge in line from between the reversing block and steam regulator. Do you have the standard boiler and an in-cab regulator installed or do you have a high pressure after market boiler with a sight glass?

If it’s an aftermarket high pressure boiler then the pressure gauge is fitted to either a separate outlet on the top of the boiler e.g Janet design built by Western Steam, or the top of the sight glass outlet e.g Dream Steam type design.

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:13 pm

Here is an example of a 'Janet' type boiler with extra boiler insert for the installation of a pressure guage:
Janet_Boiler (Large).jpg
Janet_Boiler (Large).jpg (298.1 KiB) Viewed 9831 times
Here is an example of a Mamod loco using the same design of boiler:
Mamod 042 MARK EDWIN 064 (Large).jpg
Mamod 042 MARK EDWIN 064 (Large).jpg (359.55 KiB) Viewed 9831 times
Cab view showing pressure gauge:
Mamod 042 MARK EDWIN 020 (Large).jpg
Mamod 042 MARK EDWIN 020 (Large).jpg (314.45 KiB) Viewed 9831 times

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:20 pm

Here is an example of a loco with an original IP Engineering Jane boiler (same design as Dream Steam type boiler):
LUCY_Jan2014 001 (Large).jpg
LUCY_Jan2014 001 (Large).jpg (363.34 KiB) Viewed 9830 times
This image shows the pressure gauge position as fitted using a syphon type arrangement from the top of the sight glass:
LUCY_Jan2014 006 (Large).jpg
LUCY_Jan2014 006 (Large).jpg (318.07 KiB) Viewed 9830 times

wingnut
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by wingnut » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:04 pm

Hi

Those loco's look very good, I am gently trying to upgrade my loco to a reasonable spec

I have the standard boiler with the higher pressure pressure safety valve and steam regulator kit from Dream Steam, I bought their pressure gauge and syphon at the same time thinking that it should be easy to fit. there is no take off on the regulator for the pressure valve, so I was thinking of putting in a T piece under the regulator, inline with the pipe to the forward/reverse valve block.

I have looked at the higher pressure boiler, dream Steam used to do one, but I can no longer see it on their site, and I am currently enquiring about the one that Roy Wood sells. I also have the higher performance cylinders and gas burner kit from Dream steam, so hopefully the basis for something reasonable.

Sorry about the apparently dumb question about the pipe dimensions, I should have stated that I am currently working away on a vessel, and am looking at ordering stuff for when I get home.

Thanks for the replies.

Mark

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:49 am

I have the standard boiler with the higher pressure pressure safety valve and steam regulator kit from Dream Steam, I bought their pressure gauge and syphon at the same time thinking that it should be easy to fit. there is no take off on the regulator for the pressure valve, so I was thinking of putting in a T piece under the regulator, inline with the pipe to the forward/reverse valve block.
Hi Mark,

The Dream Steam pressure gauge and syphon are only intended for the high pressure boiler. The take-off for the syphon is the top of the gauge glass and the syphon is designed to pass round under the boiler when installed correctly.

The take-off for a pressure gauge needs to be above the water line off the boiler.

wingnut
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by wingnut » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:06 pm

Thanks for that superbiker, I have a Roy Wood Boiler in the pipeline, :thumbup:

Richie
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Richie » Fri May 08, 2020 4:12 pm

wingnut wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:06 pm Thanks for that superbiker, I have a Roy Wood Boiler in the pipeline, :thumbup:
Hi Wingnut

Did you ever receive your Janet boiler and what burner did you use with it ?

Thanks Richie