Workshop/shed

What is your latest project?
DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Workshop/shed

Post by DonW » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:58 am

Coming together nicely Rik. I agree with you on the subject of wall lights and accessible sockets. If you have a central light source you can end up working in your own shadow at the workbench. One thing I do prefer is to have all the electrics lights and socket supplied through a single double pole switch by the door. That way you can turn it all off whenever leaving so there is nothing left on.

Don

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:45 pm

DonW wrote: ↑Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:58 am Coming together nicely Rik. I agree with you on the subject of wall lights and accessible sockets. If you have a central light source you can end up working in your own shadow at the workbench. One thing I do prefer is to have all the electrics lights and socket supplied through a single double pole switch by the door. That way you can turn it all off whenever leaving so there is nothing left on.

Don
Good idea, Don. I've finished the wiring now, but I do have a double pole RCD protecting the feed to the workshop so I suppose I could flick that to off each time I leave.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:52 am

Using the RCD would work out fine Rik it is so easy to leave something on. My father worried about his high electric bill complained to the supply company. An engineer visited and found he had left a heater on in the loft. He had put a portable heater by the water tank worried about frost three months earlier and totally forgot it.

Don

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:28 am

Great job on the shed Rik. The insulation you are using is what I had in the new shed I bought at, blooming heck, two address's ago. It's brilliant stuff. I had a lovely warm shed with very little heating on in the winter months, although in the summer both doors needed to be opened and the windows too...I also did the same configuration with the power supply. It is mandatory I think to have a separate consumer unit in outside building. I did the same with the lights over my workbench too...These old eyes are getting worse as the years go by.... :roll: :roll:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:09 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:28 am Great job on the shed Rik. The insulation you are using is what I had in the new shed I bought at, blooming heck, two address's ago. It's brilliant stuff. I had a lovely warm shed with very little heating on in the winter months, although in the summer both doors needed to be opened and the windows too...I also did the same configuration with the power supply. It is mandatory I think to have a separate consumer unit in outside building. I did the same with the lights over my workbench too...These old eyes are getting worse as the years go by.... :roll: :roll:
Thanks Rod
Been working in there over the past couple of days. Got a small electric heater switchable between 600W and 1200W. After 20min I have to turn it to 600W and after an hour have to turn it off as it's too warm. Probably need the carpet for the winter though.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:09 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:28 am Great job on the shed Rik. The insulation you are using is what I had in the new shed I bought at, blooming heck, two address's ago. It's brilliant stuff. I had a lovely warm shed with very little heating on in the winter months, although in the summer both doors needed to be opened and the windows too...I also did the same configuration with the power supply. It is mandatory I think to have a separate consumer unit in outside building. I did the same with the lights over my workbench too...These old eyes are getting worse as the years go by.... :roll: :roll:
Thanks Rod
Been working in there over the past couple of days. Got a small electric heater switchable between 600W and 1200W. After 20min I have to turn it to 600W and after an hour have to turn it off as it's too warm. Probably need the carpet for the winter though.

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:10 am

Hi Rik,

You are quite right about having a carpet, although at first use of my shed I just had the floorboards, there was a draft coming from the floor, so I put 9mm MDF sheet down and then got a cheap carpet from a local store and no more drafts. It was also easier on the feet.. :lol: :lol:

Anne would often come down to the shed because I had lost all track of time, it was so cosy in there....

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:06 pm

Have now more or less finished the workshop. There's still a bit more titivating to do inside, but it's now usable. In fact, I've started working again on railway related projects (painting some figures bought at Llanfair). A couple of pics of the interior.
IMG_9430.JPG
IMG_9430.JPG (100.74 KiB) Viewed 6598 times
IMG_9427.JPG
IMG_9427.JPG (89 KiB) Viewed 6598 times
And a timelapse video showing the construction.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:17 pm

Completely, utterly, mind blowingly superb!
The shed envy you felt, is nothing compared with mine right now - about an hour ago I was slightly nagged for using a kitchen worktop whilst a large piece of foamboard was gluing!
Philip

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:22 pm

I'll second what Philip said, that is one very comfortable looking work station Rik.
Grant.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:59 pm

It's a nicer workshop than mine, and mine took me much longer than 3m 43s to build too.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:35 pm

------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:45 pm

Superb build Rik, I would feel very comfortable working in your shed, and very much at home with the organisation of tools, equipment and accessories neatly stashed away.
You could easily start a trend here!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:37 pm

It's a little ripper.
I believe the first model to be built in the shed should be...

...... a model of the shed. :D
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:49 am

gregh wrote: ↑Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:37 pm It's a little ripper.
I believe the first model to be built in the shed should be...

...... a model of the shed. :D
Wonderful idea. Sounds like a new project has been conceived!

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:58 am

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:45 pm Superb build Rik, I would feel very comfortable working in your shed, and very much at home with the organisation of tools, equipment and accessories neatly stashed away.
You could easily start a trend here!
LNR wrote: ↑Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:22 pm I'll second what Philip said, that is one very comfortable looking work station Rik.
Grant.
Thanks chaps. That's praise indeed from two of the foremost modellers on the forum. I do like to have things organised, though when I get immersed in a project I tend to accumulate random tools and bits on the workbench - then have to have occasional a blitz tidying sessions.

But it is good to know I have a place for everything - especially when an emergency repair is required during a running session.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:21 am

invicta280 wrote: ↑Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:59 pm It's a nicer workshop than mine, and mine took me much longer than 3m 43s to build too.
Thanks. If only! I suppose it took about a month to construct and insulate the main structure, then a couple of weeks to erect the shelves and workbenches and move everything in. So about six weeks' work overall.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:27 am

philipy wrote: ↑Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:17 pm Completely, utterly, mind blowingly superb!
The shed envy you felt, is nothing compared with mine right now - about an hour ago I was slightly nagged for using a kitchen worktop whilst a large piece of foamboard was gluing!
Thanks Philip. The conservatory was a good interim position (for fifteen years), but now I feel a lot less guilty about hogging a shared space. I've discovered that our cordless phone is still within range of the workshop and so the missus can use the intercom feature to summon me for meals. Not yet had the gall to request drinks and food be brought out to me via the intercom.... πŸ˜• :shock:

Rik
------------------------

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:52 am

Lovely work Rik! Will you be getting a lathe? :D
Best wishes,
Dave

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:21 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:58 am I do like to have things organised,
Oh! so do I Rik, except I use a layered filing principle, one layer of junk on top of another !!
I'm afraid to say I haven't seen the top of my bench in years. Instead I opened the drawers underneath and put
scrap ply on them and start again. Terrible to admit, I used to be exceptionally tidy years ago too.
PB240006.JPG
PB240006.JPG (144.32 KiB) Viewed 6407 times
No Name, no pack drill!
PS can't believe I posted this photo :oops: :oops: