Workshop/shed

What is your latest project?
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Workshop/shed

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:48 pm

Until now, I have been steadily taking over the conservatory as my workshop - to the point where it is no longer a viable conservatory. Linda has been very tolerant and understanding, but I reached the stage where I decided enough was enough. In some ways, it's all Peter Butler's fault. After seeing his marvellous workshop, I developed shed-envy and so, when I eventually got around to selling our trailer tent which had been mouldering away in its purpose-built lean-to shelter beside the garden shed, which too had seen better days, I cleared the site of shelter and shed and realised I now had a viable 14' x 11' site at my disposal.
TL0001 (3).JPG
TL0001 (3).JPG (135.95 KiB) Viewed 6927 times
We decided there was enough cash in the coffers for me to buy the timber needed and in breaks between the appalling weather we've been having lately, I made a start. I decided against a concrete slab, partly on the grounds of cost, partly for environmental reasons and also because the previous shed had been in situ for around twenty years on a timber floor and there was very little sign of rot. In fact I decided to use most of the old floor in the garden shed part of the build (on the left).
TL0001 (633).JPG
TL0001 (633).JPG (131.26 KiB) Viewed 6927 times
I have now finished the framework. I had sketched the design and modified it as work progressed - deciding against a ridge roof in favour of a pent roof as I could keep this below the sight-line of my neighbours. Although it is well within planning laws (ie less than 4m in height), I didn't want it to be too obtrusive.
S0057931.JPG
S0057931.JPG (145.53 KiB) Viewed 6927 times
The garden shed will be on the left (for mower, spades etc) and the workshop is on the right. The doors and windows were sourced through eBay. The workshop will be insulated and I'm considering installing a wood burner - I don't want to waste the off-cuts of timber ..... ;) I've already got a power feed - which is a story in itself. I did wonder about installing water and, at my age, a toilet (or urinal) was a consideration.

I'm taking a timelapse film of the build and so, when finished I'll post that on YouTube with a link on here.

Looks like the rain is easing off so I'll go ad get bit more done.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

and1n
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Workshop/shed

Post by and1n » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:18 pm

Watching this with interest.. I'm not envious at all... Really...... ;)
Andi N

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:22 pm

That's going to be fantastic - I'm trying hard not to be jealous! The word burner sounds like a good idea too, that's where my off-cuts end up... The urinal may be practical, but I'm not sure it's going to add to the ambience! Maybe it could go in the shed bit?!

Will you be able to run the trains straight into the workshop? Preferably avoiding the two aforementioned facilities...

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:04 pm

I'll be watching with interest as well. I have an old 6x4 shed that I've been threatening to demolish for many, many years....!
Philip

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:05 pm

A scratch build? It's looking good - very realistic :lol:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:39 pm

SimonWood wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:05 pm A scratch build? It's looking good - very realistic :lol:
Very much a scratchbuild - making it up as I go along....... :?

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:41 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:22 pm That's going to be fantastic - I'm trying hard not to be jealous! The word burner sounds like a good idea too, that's where my off-cuts end up... The urinal may be practical, but I'm not sure it's going to add to the ambience! Maybe it could go in the shed bit?!
Will you be able to run the trains straight into the workshop? Preferably avoiding the two aforementioned facilities...
Andrew.
I hadn't planned for it to become a trainshed - however, it does look as if the floor is coincidentally at the same height as the track which winds its way behind the shed - mere coincidence of course..... ;)

Rik
------------------------

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:08 pm

Very nice. I have a pile of recovered bricks to turn into a workshop where the trains will be stored. I was thinking about having a lean-to on the back to house the toilet. With the site being over 100ft from the house (which is also about 15ft lower) it would be a real bind to keep nipping up and down. It will also be handy when running trains especially when you have visitors. People keep popping into the house to use the toilet may not go down well if it is muddy.
The Wood burner can also be useful. I can remember a very wet August day when Ted Dixon was hosting a meeting, too wet to be outdoors he did have a very large shed with an indoor line. Those like me who had got soaked were able to dry off by the woodburner while we ran steam trains.

Don

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:12 pm

Cheers Rik.... I'm always getting the blame for something, but in this case accept it with a degree of satisfaction. You are certainly making a grand job and it will be so useful you will wonder how you managed before!
The wood-burner is also a great idea as they heat up rapidly and will burn almost anything you don't need. I have a small pot-belly (and a stove too!) which is very efficient.
Looking forward to seeing progress.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

jaypalmer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by jaypalmer » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:19 pm

just keep a porta potti in the shed... :shock: :shock: :shock: ..
:queen: Yes that is me in my avatar.. :queen:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:25 pm

jaypalmer wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:19 pm just keep a porta potti in the shed... :shock: :shock: :shock: ..
....or a hosepipe! Sorry, lavatory humour!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:06 pm

jaypalmer wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:19 pm just keep a porta potti in the shed... :shock: :shock: :shock: ..
The irony is that when I was clearing out the junk which had accumulated in the trailer tent shelter I took a porta potti to the tip! At that time I hadn't thought of building the workshop. That idea came later. Now, with the benefit of hindsight.... :roll: .. !

Rik
------------------------

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:27 am

Good stuff rik. I planned and built my own shed when we moved to our current home, but sadly it was before my interest in garden railways :cry: It would look very different now!
Watching with interest :thumbright:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:35 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:41 pm I hadn't planned for it to become a trainshed - however, it does look as if the floor is coincidentally at the same height as the track which winds its way behind the shed - mere coincidence of course..... ;)
A very happy one! I guess I was thinking that even a simple siding into "the works" would suit your "whole railway" approach to operation - a newly-constructed carriage could be shunted out into the sunlight, or a wagon needing attention could be dropped off by the pick-up goods...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:16 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:35 pm I guess I was thinking that even a simple siding into "the works" would suit your "whole railway" approach to operation - a newly-constructed carriage could be shunted out into the sunlight, or a wagon needing attention could be dropped off by the pick-up goods...
Hmmmmm ..... interesting idea. Though I'd need some sort of lift system to transfer stock from bench level to floor level. I don't fancy all that bending. :?

Rik
------------------------

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:47 pm

:thumbright:

I built a 10x12 shop a couple of years ago for my motorcycles with a corner reserved for my train workbench.

With the divorce in June... the entire house is now my train workshop. :lol:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:33 am

Well Rik, you have got to have the best and biggest scratch build now.... :thumbright: :thumbright:

How the heck can we do better :roll: :roll:

Got to go now, getting so tired....Sorry. :(

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:19 pm

Dwayne wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:47 pm :thumbright:

I built a 10x12 shop a couple of years ago for my motorcycles with a corner reserved for my train workbench.

With the divorce in June... the entire house is now my train workshop. :lol:
I think I'll just stick with the workshop for now....... :? ;) :lol:

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:32 pm

The latest on progress. After a few trials and tribulations, not least on account of the vile weather in this part of the world, I've at last managed to get the roof on and the walls more or less clad. Now starting on the interior.

One day, it will be finished!
S0070941.JPG
S0070941.JPG (145.2 KiB) Viewed 6007 times
Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:57 pm

Not only functional, but attractive too!
You had better fit a wife-proof lock on the door otherwise there is a chance of a takeover.