Ground level permanent way

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Ground level permanent way

Post by CSL » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:16 pm

I'm almost about to start thinking seriously about construction of the CVLR's northern extension.

I've looked enviously at some of the posted photos of concreting which is so much neater than what we achieved with the original circuit.

What material is suited to shuttering for curved sections (three foot radius, so a few inches less on the inner side)?

Are there non-concrete construction options for a line at ground level (or perhaps slightly below)?

philipy

Re: Ground level permanent way

Post by philipy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:16 am

CSL wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:16 pm
What material is suited to shuttering for curved sections (three foot radius, so a few inches less on the inner side)?

Are there non-concrete construction options for a line at ground level (or perhaps slightly below)?
I used good old fashioned hardboard ( either reclaimed and/or from the 'it might come in handy one day' pile) for shuttering, simply held in place by wooden pegs, bricks, bits of rock etc. Its only got to last less 24 hours whilst the concrete sets. Most of it will be buried so as long as the top is flat and level a few sub-surface bulges don't matter.

Non-concrete options will depend on your soil and it's stability. My clay has actually cracked and moved my 6 x 6"+ concrete by over 1/2" in several places, and I'm always envious of those who simply seem to dig a trench, chuck in some hardcore and ballast and away they go
Philip

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:34 pm

philipy wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:16 am I used good old fashioned hardboard ( either reclaimed and/or from the 'it might come in handy one day' pile) for shuttering, simply held in place by wooden pegs, bricks, bits of rock etc.
I'm always envious of those who simply seem to dig a trench, chuck in some hardcore and ballast and away they go
Those two methods pretty much describe what I did on the first build for (a) where it was slightly above ground level and (b) where it was at or slightly below!

On you second point I've made a mental note that the existing loop is pretty much in permanent shade, but the extension won't be.

I was wondering how I might get nice smooth curved edges though and vertical concrete sides so I can press in some edging material to retain ballast and/or stop some vegetation invasion - or is my mental image of "hardboard" a bit wrong?

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:19 pm

CSL wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:34 pm
I was wondering how I might get nice smooth curved edges though and vertical concrete sides so I can press in some edging material to retain ballast and/or stop some vegetation invasion - or is my mental image of "hardboard" a bit wrong?
Hardboard is that old fashioned stuff that used to be used for all sorts of thin cladding and panelling. It's usually about 1/8" or 3/16" thick, smooth/almost shiny on one side and has a sort of woven hessian imprint on the other. It cracks and splits into irregular layers if you bend it too far.

If you want to subsequently use 'edging material' can't you use that as an inner layer of shuttering, or even as the shuttering itself, depending what you are planning to use?
Philip

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:25 pm

Yes, I rather thought the inner edge of a 3-foot curve might be bending it too far.

The purpose of the edging would be to retain ballast and/or hold back vegetation, so would go higher than the concrete - although I didn't do it last tine round I was thinking that maybe the concreting would end up neater if I managed to have the top of the shuttering being the top level of the concrete.

Not sure about that now I've written it down though!