Glue

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Glue

Post by FWLR » Mon May 13, 2019 11:09 am

Can any member help with a question I have on glue.

I want to use Gorilla Glue for glueing some slate together. It is going to be flat glue and some smaller lumps also. I would like to know if it is okay to use outside and will it hold up and onto the slate.

It is the outside wood glue I have, it's supposed to be water resistant. The other reason I want to use that product is, I have 2 large bottles of it and money being tight at the moment, I know the stuff you can use for bathrooms and the like would probably better, but it's the money question.....

philipy

Re: Glue

Post by philipy » Mon May 13, 2019 12:19 pm

There are several different Gorilla Glue's. Can't say I've come across their wood glue so can't help directly, although slate being non-porous I'd guess it might not be any good longer term. For outside use and sticking slate, personally I would use the original light brown coloured foaming one. That DOES stick.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon May 13, 2019 1:48 pm

No matter what adhesive is used on slate there are two important details to consider.....
Firstly slate is non porous (as Philipy has already stated) so will not absorb adhesive, it will just lie on the surface, and secondly slate is a layered material and will de-laminate leaving the adhesive stuck to a very thin sliver of slate while the rest falls off!
I have built structures (walls) using slate slabs by soaking them in SBR (what else?) to remove dust and seal the surface, then bonding with hot glue when dry. This holds the pieces together long enough to allow the structure to be coated with cement render on the inside. I'm sure other materials could be used for this purpose, e.g resin, Gorilla Glue etc.
It will be interesting to hear your progress Rod.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu May 30, 2019 8:31 am

Well I thought I better give my results for the Gorilla Glue I was intending to use for the slate project....

Answer is....Wait for it.....

RUBBISH..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is just like Peter said, the laminating of the slate won't allow the stuff to hold in place. I did however use silicone sealant that worked ok, but I had to support the slate that was overhanging until it went off. I will add that the slate was the small stuff you can buy in those bags from the diy stores. So I am going to try using it for the bigger slate that my brother has loads of for possibly the station platform.

Will report on that project when we get round to installing the station.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu May 30, 2019 9:42 am

Interesting report Rod, I have tried silicone sealant too, some time ago now. In the beginning I thought I had found the solution but, not so! It must be remembered, silicone sealant is not an adhesive so it will eventually release its grip. The structure I built as describe above is water tower which I filled with cement when it set. This is completely solid and hasn't shown any sign of failing.
If you can coat your wall with something similar (on the inside) you might stand a chance?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Fri May 31, 2019 8:03 am

I have also used silicone sealant (clear) as an adhesive and my findings reflect Peter's opinion. It is perfectly adequate as a temporary fixing - I use it to secure figures in place to stop them falling over due to wind and local cats. At the end of the season when putting things away for winter storage the silicone will come away easily leaving two clean surfaces ready for more silicone the following year. Note that I say "easily", as I have found that the four or five months of the running season is about as long as the bond will last. For more permanent gluing I use an exterior grade of construction adhesive and that really does stick like the proverbial, there are lots of suppliers of this adhesive at lots of different prices but don't use any from a pound shop, you can probably guess how I know.
Phil

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri May 31, 2019 8:58 am

Sorry Peter, it wasn't for a wall. It was for a small water fall Anne wanted for the pond. We had some larger slate, some of the smaller stuff you can buy, if you get what I mean. The idea was to put some of the smaller stuff on to look like it was a natural slate waterfall, but because the smaller stuff is a lot more brittle, the sealant couldn't get a grip properly. So I have put the bigger slate in the border for now. I will take a photo when it stops throwing it down here.....

For making a wall I think I would use SBR mixed with mortar, it would set like granite. Same for any fixing of building on the line. Don't think they would move do you... :lol: :lol:

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri May 31, 2019 10:56 am

I have used various grip fill adhesives over the years and they can be quite good. Screwfix have a good range and they are not overly expensive.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:30 am

Big Jim wrote: ↑Fri May 31, 2019 10:56 am I have used various grip fill adhesives over the years and they can be quite good. Screwfix have a good range and they are not overly expensive.
Thanks Jim, I'll have a look. There is a store in town and they deliver too.....

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:12 pm

IF you have a gun to use with Silicone tubes etc then try CT1 adhesive. Not cheap but very good indoor or outdoor and for those ocasions where you need fast extra strong use CT1 Power and Grab. Mind you you only get one go to get it in the right place. Reputedly can be used to stick a paving slab to a wall ( quite why you would do that??). I also find Soudal Fix all Turbo very good or Fix All Crystal if you want something clear.
Abrading smooth surfaces can improve grip.

For Fixing Slate together you might also like to try Floor tiling Adhesive one suitable for exterior use. You can just mix a small quantity and use it like you would a mortar for brickwork.

Regards Don

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:08 am

Thanks Don.... :thumbright: :thumbright: