Mamod Stirling

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Mamod Stirling

Post by dewintondave » Sun May 19, 2019 1:02 am

It's a lovely loco. I've just been watching Ferrysteam's videos where he's bench testing the loco on the rolling road. Hopefully he will take it out on the track soon.

The loco has a good natural chuff and seems to be able to run slowly. I like its lively rear-end :oops:
Best wishes,
Dave

kins73
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by kins73 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:28 pm

Why is everyone so quick to shout this loco down? We aren't going to encourage anyone to build better locos if we slate it before it's been properly reviewed. From my perspective it is a nice looking loco with decent proportions and decent sized cylinders etc. Yes the roundhouse basic series are about the same price but without pressure guage etc. I have recently bought a Mamod Boulton, yes it is what it is for the money but not bad for British built.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue May 21, 2019 8:14 am

Well I think it a nice looking loco... :thumbright:

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:59 pm

I actually rather like it. The side tanks perhaps want the pop-rivets replacing or maybe just painted, but anyone with half a brain could do as much. Here's a link to a video of one running around a small oval, with some trucks full of rocks. Seems to run freely and quietly. I think rather a lot could be done to dress this loco up- there's lots of room in the cab for a couple of figures too. I like the slanted cylinders, valve-gear inside the frames, and the smokebox is a very nice casting. I think it's a nice little British-built basic loco. Of course Roundhouse has set a very high bar in terms of what you get for your money, but I see no reason this engine shouldn't compare favourably with the "basic" series: it's nice to have a choice.

https://youtu.be/DOuR52PYLKQ

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:11 am

Thanks for the video link Keith. I agree that it's great to have more choice. Why should the big boys be the only ones who think they are better than anyone else. Mamod are a well respected company and should be recognised for doing some excellent builds....

Too much snobbishness in the hobby I feel..Look what I have and what you have, seems to be the norm. Just like all of the scales in model railways really. I get that from the local club we go to sometimes down the road from us. Some of the bigger gauge and some of our gauge are real snobs when it comes to others....

Flipping heck my own brother is one with his 7 1/4" engines. He has built 3 now and on his fourth... :lol: :lol:

Sorry for going off topic Mod's..... :oops:

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:42 pm

I like it too. Although since the CVLR already has a side tank (SL3) and a saddle tank (Bertie), I'm drawn to something that looks different if I can justify the expenditure: "coffee pot" Brunel for me, I think. Would give me both water level gauge and pressure gauge for the first time, too.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:22 pm

I have not been able to find info about the valve gear - is it slip eccentric?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:33 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: ↑Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:22 pm I have not been able to find info about the valve gear - is it slip eccentric?
https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/t ... ed.312992/

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:51 pm

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:46 pm

I have a stirling that has been modified to make it more user friendly. One modification is the smoke box door that is hinged. just remove the horrible bayonet fitting and drill the hinge castings put in a wire and hey presto hinged smoke box.