Loading hoppers for the sand quarry

What is your latest project?
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Loading hoppers for the sand quarry

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 12, 2019 1:16 pm

I've had a go at painting one of them. Still somewhat experimental - I can tweak my techniques as I do the other two.

Slightly brutal full-frontal view. Gives some idea how it looks in situ.
DSCI2517.JPG
DSCI2517.JPG (129.14 KiB) Viewed 4977 times
Close-up of the mechanisms for raising and lowering the hatch and the chute. Based around some model boat fittings.
DSCI2519.JPG
DSCI2519.JPG (122.04 KiB) Viewed 4977 times
Three-quarter view of the hopper in its location in the siding. Not sure I've quite got the corrugated iron right yet.
DSCI2521.JPG
DSCI2521.JPG (162.69 KiB) Viewed 4977 times
Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun May 12, 2019 3:56 pm

IMHO, I think you've got that rusty corrugated iron, EXACTLY right. :D and the whole lot is superb. I think you've got to the 'if it an't broke don't fix it' point.

My only suggestion is that the chute should be either rusty and/or silvery if the sand scours it.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 12, 2019 4:26 pm

philipy wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:56 pm IMHO, I think you've got that rusty corrugated iron, EXACTLY right. :D and the whole lot is superb. I think you've got to the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' point.
My only suggestion is that the chute should be either rusty and/or silvery if the sand scours it.
Thanks Philip. Yes, you're right, a bit of shininess and more visible rust needed. There is some rust on the chute but maybe it's a bit too subtle.

Rik
PS - The main problem I'm having with the corrugated iron is that the corrugations aren't uniform and so one sheet doesn't 'mesh' with the other. I think the pressure on the rollers in my paper corrugator is lower in the middle and so the corrugations are less pronounced in the middle than at the edges. Apart from making matching up the corrugations tricky, it also makes the sheets bow in the middle.
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun May 12, 2019 5:29 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:26 pm Apart from making matching up the corrugations tricky, it also makes the sheets bow in the middle.
Rusty corrugated does all sorts of strange things. I wouldn't worry about it, it looks fine. I suspet its one of those cases where you know the faults, but nobody else sees them.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun May 12, 2019 6:00 pm

That's wonderful! It looks like it's been there for decades... I particularly like the streaks of rust...

All the best,

Andrew.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun May 12, 2019 8:01 pm

philipy wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:29 pm
ge_rik wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:26 pm Apart from making matching up the corrugations tricky, it also makes the sheets bow in the middle.
Rusty corrugated does all sorts of strange things. I wouldn't worry about it, it looks fine. I suspet its one of those cases where you know the faults, but nobody else sees them.
I'm with Philip all the way Rik. They are super.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun May 12, 2019 10:06 pm

I can only add my praise to what has already been said..... other than that I'm speechless!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon May 13, 2019 8:32 am

I think they look fantastic Rik. The corrugated iron is spot on for me. If you look at old photos of buildings with corrugated iron on them, you will see all kinds of permeations of them.
Some with patches all over them and bent and twisted like you wouldn't believe....

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon May 13, 2019 11:09 am

ge_rik wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:26 pm I think the pressure on the rollers in my paper corrugator is lower in the middle and so the corrugations are less pronounced in the middle than at the edges. Apart from making matching up the corrugations tricky, it also makes the sheets bow in the middle.
What are the rollers in your paper crimper made from? Some brands are plastic, some are aluminium, the plastic ones will be more flexible. Mine was made by Fiskars and has aluminium rolls, as Grant had warned me about the plastic ones.

FWIW, old corrugated iron roofing rusts faster at one end of the sheet. The galvanising process used up until the '50s meant the zinc coating thickness varied from one end of the sheet to the other. Which end rusts first depends on which way around the sheets were fixed on the roof.

The bins look good. Is the sand pit line going to have a loco, or will the trains be neddy powered?

Regards,
Graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 13, 2019 1:09 pm

Thanks folks. Very kind of you. It's your encouragement that keeps me trying new things.
GTB wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:09 am What are the rollers in your paper crimper made from? Some brands are plastic, some are aluminium, the plastic ones will be more flexible. Mine was made by Fiskars and has aluminium rolls, as Grant had warned me about the plastic ones.
Aluminium. Maybe the gauge of the aluminium sheet is too much for it to handle?
GTB wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:09 am FWIW, old corrugated iron roofing rusts faster at one end of the sheet. The galvanising process used up until the '50s meant the zinc coating thickness varied from one end of the sheet to the other. Which end rusts first depends on which way around the sheets were fixed on the roof.
Thanks Graeme, that's useful info. I looked at pictures online of rusty corrugated, amazing how many there are!
GTB wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:09 am Is the sand pit line going to have a loco, or will the trains be neddy powered?
I've got a couple of small diesel locos I can use, but horse power would make it interesting.

Rik
------------------------

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon May 13, 2019 2:46 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:09 pm Maybe the gauge of the aluminium sheet is too much for it to handle?
The roll of aluminium foil I've got came from a local craft shop and is approx. 0.1mm, which is a similar thickness to the foil used for pie dishes, etc.

The width of the workpiece can also be an issue. I ran into problems when I tried to corrugate 0.25mm brass shim, which is definitely beyond the limit. It took multiple passes with an anneal after each pass through the rolls to get even corrugations across the strip, which was about 110mm wide. A test piece about 50mm wide worked OK, which lulled me into a false sense of security...... :roll:

Graeme

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue May 14, 2019 8:08 am

Mine are aluminium also Rik. They do a good job, but I think I have some thin sheet. The only thing with them is they are quite small. I haven't put anything from them on a build yet, but there is time... :roll:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 14, 2019 3:49 pm

More or less finished them off this afternoon. A quick test-fit on-location. Will need to do some proper landscaping and think about how I'm going to tackle the 32mm gauge feeder behind them.
DSCI2565.JPG
DSCI2565.JPG (159.15 KiB) Viewed 5657 times
DSCI2567.JPG
DSCI2567.JPG (136.23 KiB) Viewed 5657 times
DSCI2569.JPG
DSCI2569.JPG (141.16 KiB) Viewed 5657 times
Can't believe I'm saying this, but it's too hot outside to do more than take a few quick pictures.... :shock: :?

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue May 14, 2019 3:52 pm

Beautifully decrepit!
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue May 14, 2019 7:08 pm

Better and better!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 14, 2019 7:49 pm

Thanks folks - keeps me out of mischief!

Rik
------------------------

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Wed May 15, 2019 7:33 am

Considering that was supposed to be a "test fit" it looks to me as if they had been in place for years. Well done Rik, your projects are always a true source of inspiration and put my efforts to shame.
Phil

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed May 15, 2019 8:57 am

Thats a number 1 build for me Rik...Superb build, you have got them just right. :thumbright:

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am

Those final three photographs of it all in place are terrific. Beautifully realised and convincing as usual. Will you leave them all outside permanently?

(I’m having a go at a first foamboard/plasticard building, scratching my head regarding adhesives... Thank you)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 15, 2019 3:29 pm

BertieB wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am Will you leave them all outside permanently
I will probably leave them out over the summer but bring them in during the winter months. I'm going to move the leftmost hopper to the right hand end as it will be vulnerable to damage - it's where I tend to put my foot when reaching over to Beeston Castle station just behind. Also will mean not having to build a trestle fo the feeder railway (which again will be vulnerable to damage). It means I'll have to extend the siding, but seems worth the effort.
BertieB wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am (I’m having a go at a first foamboard/plasticard building, scratching my head regarding adhesives... Thank you)
I use Vitalbond thick superglue - I buy it in 50g bottles on eBay.

Rik
------------------------