A stream for the Elderbury & District Light Railway - The saga continues

What is your latest project?
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A stream for the Elderbury & District Light Railway

Post by ge_rik » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:46 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:39 pm No dye, although I did buy both brown and buff dyes for exactly this purpose. It's as much down to the cement as the sand, actually. I found that using White cement rather than the standard grey, with yellow sand, it comes out a nice Cotswoldy colour very close to the stones I'm using. They are of several different shades anyway, having come from a number of sources.
That sounds interesting. I must investigate white cement - will save a lot of faffing around when it comes to colouring the mix. The local sand is red - so would be a handy way of simulating our red sandstone.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:04 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:46 pm I must investigate white cement - will save a lot of faffing around when it comes to colouring the mix. The local sand is red - so would be a handy way of simulating our red sandstone.
It's more expensive than the standard grey stuff, but worth it for our relatively small quantities. Mine cost about £13 for a 25Kg bag and I've used about half for the stream. Just ask for white cement, simples!
Philip

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:45 pm

Fantastic work Philip. I'm seriously impressed. Between you and Rik I'm thoroughly inspired now!

I've got an old header tank and ball valve stashed that I thoguht might one day form part of a 'waterway system' in the garden so I was very intertested to hear you were doing something similar.

My main problem now is finding a course for the stream to run along. I fear I may need to get on with building the final brick wall before I can achieve the space I need - see what you've done between the pair of you, I'm hooked now!!!1 :twisted:

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:11 am

Soar Valley Light wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:45 pm
My main problem now is finding a course for the stream to run along. I fear I may need to get on with building the final brick wall before I can achieve the space I need
Thanks Andrew.
Given that you are at the stage you are in the overall scheme of things, I'd suggest that you decide on the approximate course now, rather than wait until you've got infrastructure, planting, etc, in place that will subsequently either require moving/altering and/or developing the skills of a contortionist to work behind ( don't ask how I know!!).

As for mine, I've been plodding along over Easter, and yesterday morning before it started raining, I managed to get a fair amount of reinstatement done at the top end, with the refurbished thatched cottage back in place, the lifted section of track reinstated over the bridge ( although ballasting will have to wait until the forecast gives me a clear spell) and the Halt back in place but still needing some work. The planting in this area still needs sorting out though. Further down the course of the stream, I still have to finish off both sides of the stream bed and the sump area.
DSC_0011 small.jpg
DSC_0011 small.jpg (311.73 KiB) Viewed 5790 times
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:16 am

It really is coming along Phillip. :thumbright:

Shows that you don't need to have it running for yards and yards, or metres for those that are using that measurement....To have a great stream on their line....Thanks for your thread and showing us what is needed to build something similar.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:48 pm

Looking great, Philip. Would love to see a video of the stream in action sometime.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:04 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:48 pm Would love to see a video of the stream in action sometime.

Yes, Tom has said much the same already.

As I said I still have to finish off the sump end and few other odds and sods and then I'll post a Grand Opening with the local brass band in attendance ( well, not really).
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:15 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:04 pm I'll post a Grand Opening with the local brass band in attendance
Looking forward to it! Even without the brass band it'll be a great sight - the photo you posted of the stream, bridge and cottage is just fantastic.

Naturally it's got me thinking about an underused area of garden next the the line which would look great with a stream tricking down to pass beneath a bridge... That's one for the future, but if it ever comes to pass I shall be looking here, and at Rik's site, for inspiration and advice!

Andrew

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:10 pm

Coming together nicely. It looks superb.
Ian

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:56 pm

I said that there are some odds and sods to sort out, and the more observant amongst you may have spotted in the last photo, above, that there was no gate into the cottage garden and, more importantly, no way for the residents to cross the stream and get to the railway.

The gate was simply a question of replacing the original one from the corner into the new position in the centre, which has now been done.

A small 'rustic' footbridge has always been on the jobs list as part of the stream construction. So much so that last Autumn I had the foresight to save some prunings from the apple trees , and this is the result:
DSC_0002 small.jpg
DSC_0002 small.jpg (409.02 KiB) Viewed 5684 times
Sorry it isn't shown in situ, but I'm not messsing about outside in this weather!
The main logs spent the winter soaking in creosote substitute and the whole thing will be given a coat before it is fixed in place.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:13 pm

Looks good, Philip. Is it pinned together as well as glued?

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:49 pm

Yes, the handrail components are pinned and glued, but the deck and main logs are just glued. I got some of the new (-ish) clear non-foaming Gorilla Glue recently so I thought I'd give it a try - seems OK so far. The pins are small diameter brass dress makers/lacemakers pins that I've had for about 20 years. Drilling and pinning before gluing was the only way I could think of to hold so many irregular shapes together.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:36 am

Nice and rustic bridge Phillip. It's a long way from the usual bridges we see. It well look excellent on your stream...

Just need a few little fishes now swimming under it.... :roll:

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed May 01, 2019 2:56 pm

OK, it's been a long time coming but the stream is finally finished. It still needs some attention to the planting and of course needs time for Mother Nature to do her stuff, and the railway itself needs some tlc as well, but other than that it's there.
DSC_0001 small.jpg
DSC_0001 small.jpg (316.59 KiB) Viewed 7285 times
DSC_0002 small.jpg
DSC_0002 small.jpg (271.49 KiB) Viewed 7285 times
DSC_0010 small.jpg
DSC_0010 small.jpg (284.86 KiB) Viewed 7285 times
DSC_0011 small.jpg
DSC_0011 small.jpg (499.49 KiB) Viewed 7285 times
I did say earlier that I needed to work out something that had been bugging me and that it would either be an epic fail or a triumph. Well I'm happy to report that it isn't a fail, but although I'm not 100% happy with the result, I'm hoping that time and plant growth will finish it off.

Rik's end sump he finished with an upturned lid filled with white pebbles which looks fine in it's context and I was originally planning to do something similar. However my sump would be in the middle of a planted garden border and a circular patch of white pebbles simply wouldn't look right ( Remember the conditions on my Planning Consent? " You can do what you like as long as it doesn't spoil the garden"). After throwing various idea's around in my head, I came up with a plan. I didn't want a static pond which might attract mozzy's and I was mindful of Rik's experience of trapping and drowning wildlife, so I fabricated a basket from some 1" weldmesh which was lying around and sized to sit inside the sump at about 120mm down.
DSC_0003 small.jpg
DSC_0003 small.jpg (297.08 KiB) Viewed 7285 times
Then I bought some marginal pond plants in 110mm deep pond pots and arranged them, along with bits of rock, in the basket. Around the sump I've arranged 3 Prostrate Junipers, bits of rock and various other plants to disguise the edges. When the stream is switched off, the plants are semi- submerged
DSC_0013 small.jpg
DSC_0013 small.jpg (266.05 KiB) Viewed 7285 times
and when it is running the waterfall created keeps them splashed wet. My hope is that in due course they will spread and sprawl over the rocks.
DSC_0015 small.jpg
DSC_0015 small.jpg (278.27 KiB) Viewed 7285 times

Finally, a video for Tom and Rik!

Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: A stream for the Elderbury & District Light Railway - FINISHED

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed May 01, 2019 3:25 pm

What an achievement Phil, the sound of the water is brilliant. I could listen to that for hours sitting outside with the occasional train chuffing along.

You should be pleased with yourself, enjoy it.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Wed May 01, 2019 5:24 pm

That's just brilliant, love everything about it, looks amazing, a very well big done :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 01, 2019 6:54 pm

Looks brilliant, Philip! Once the moss and groundcover takes a hold, it will tone down the starknss of the concrete. Your sump cover does look a whole lot more subtle than my upturned dustbin lid and will probably be a lot more efficient.

I think this project is worthy of an article in Garden Rail.

Rik
------------------------

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed May 01, 2019 9:34 pm

That's a belting job Philip! I'm really going to have to do something about creating one for myself now! What's the total length of the Cuttle Brook?

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu May 02, 2019 7:46 am

Thanks for the nice comments, Guys.
Andrew, the total length is about 5.5 metres. I bought 1 metre of liner from a 5.5m wide roll at World of Water so that I could do it without any joins.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu May 02, 2019 9:55 am

Brilliant job Phillip. It sure does look great next to the house and your line...Next project please....

But why the video only for Tom and Rik..... :scratch: :scratch:

Agree about doing an article for Garden Rail...Worthy of great praise indeed.