Regner Stainz steaming last Sunday.

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Regner Stainz steaming last Sunday.

Post by artfull dodger » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Here is a short video of my Regner Stainz running on our steam group's portable layout at the NMRA train show in Noblesville, Indiana last Sunday. Finally getting run in and able to run smooth at slower speeds with out stalling or being a big jerky. He was quite stiff when I got him, had an issue with flue gasses drafing under the frame back into the cab and putting the burner out. That issue has been sorted out now. Pulls the prototype load of three coaches now. Several runs on my rolling road were done before any track time. I did have to adjust the valve timing a bit after this steam up, which gained even smoother running than at this event. From my research, having to adjust the valve gear on this model is common during the running in process. No simple valve gear here, proper Allan straight link motion just as on the prototype. Regner made 200 of this version from the Skglb railway in Austria, along with 200 of the green cab Stainz #2 that matches the LGB starter set engine. Kind of hard to find these days.
https://youtu.be/u3yd6tCmZPY
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

steamgeorge
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Regner Stainz steaming last Sunday.

Post by steamgeorge » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:26 am

very nice :thumbright:

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:29 am

Lovely indeed :thumbright:
Am I correct in thinking that it is 1:22.5 running on 45mm gauge (prototype 1000mm gauge)?

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:20 pm

Correct, its scaled to the same basic scale that LGB uses for thier narrow gauge European trains. Regner has also done live steam examples of the Harz 2-10-2T, the 0-4-4-0 mallets, 0-6-6-0 mallet, Austrian U series and the green cabbed Stainz #2. I think it was either WYKO or Ralph Reppenigen that did the Harz 2-6-2T but the pics I see of it are far different that the fat boilered LGB version. I would love a live steam version that matches the LGB Harz 99-6001-1. The fat boiler would yield long run times.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:20 pm

New video of the Stainz running slower yet smooth. Getting better with every run. Engine is for sale/trade as I am moving away from narrow gauge and into Gauge 1 now.
https://youtu.be/pt6H-irZQOs

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 pm

That valve gear is interesting to watch. Thanks for the second video. I always thought that was a Stevenson valve-gear: I had to look up The Allen straight-link valve gear, so that was interesting as well.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:14 pm

If my memory is correct, Stephenson's link refers to the curved link part that connects the two eccentric rods together and has the slot for the die block to slide in to achieve forward and reverse. Allen straight link has obviously a straight link connecting the forward and reverse eccentric rods together. Just a similar but slightly different style of twin eccentric(per cylinder) valve gear. Just as there was two different versions of what is commonly know as Walschearts motion is called Heusinger's in Germany and a few other countries. I find it all fascinating to watch while in motion. Mike the Aspie.