Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:02 pm

No little loco work for some time, but I am trying to get the signalling progressing for the POR however my crew training at the Mary Valley Rattler is absorbing a lot of spare time and my weekends so the S and T work is slow.
Last Friday, I gave the fireman's side of #974 a good going over while listening to the Indian batsman make a mess of Australia. That took 7 hours. The light up chap should do the other side but..............

Saturday I got my first time on the R/H side (drivers side). Was on the driver's shoulder for the AM trip (as an observer), then I drove the PM trip with Adrian (Senior tutor driver) on my shoulder. 171 tons, 7 carriages, 170 punters on the cushions.
Did the shunt and stable. It is a twisty and up and down branch so learning the road takes a bit of time. A lot of momentum thought work-skill-process to learn, experience etc.
Sunday, lit up and then drove the AM trip with Adrian on my shoulder again. Slipped to a halt in a speed restricted section which had a load of grass on the track and a wee bit of mizzle about, it was a problem area the day before. Adrian lifted it and then I was back on the controls. I got an unexpected slip going onto a bridge but I caught it quickly and got it back as we were soon to go into a nob so had to try and not bog down. The weed train needs to get out there soon! Stuff grows here a foot every few days with the sun and if there is rain about which there is plenty of. I did not do the PM trip as I would be out of hours as I had lit up. Drove the 2 hours home, processing stuff in my head. Tutor was happy with my first trips and got me to book more shifts ASAP to keep my momentum going. That pleased me. A good weekend.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:10 am

How exciting that must be for you. Well done- a real accomplishment!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:35 pm

Keith S wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:10 am How exciting that must be for you. Well done- a real accomplishment!

Thanks Keith. My smile confirms my enjoyment. I still have a long way to go before I am ready to be assessed and passed out, but I am on the way.

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:49 pm

No Red Room work on my loco or on the Potters Orchid Railway but for MAM running her Lady Ann kit chassis on air and all went well last week. It ticks over nice and slow, as they should ;-) . I have been having heavy weekends firing and driving at the Rattler. The video is of last Saturday and is made up on of the two trips to Amamoor. I am in the black hat and I can assure you it was hot and humid but not as cruel as previous weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZObo6Qb ... GTzDeIJLjY

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:45 pm

Assessed last Saturday and passed as "Class 2 Driver/fireman"
Picture is of the actual train I was driving during my assessment.
Boiler cook up is awaiting a free weekend, should be in July.
Pic is by Kyle Gleeson.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:19 am

Congratulations Dazza...Well Done. :wav:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:24 am

So that's where you been hiding Dazza!

Well done, must feel like a great achievement.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:09 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:19 am Congratulations Dazza...Well Done. :wav:
Thanks, it has been a busy time with all my spare time devoted to the Rattler.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:17 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:24 am So that's where you been hiding Dazza!

Well done, must feel like a great achievement.
Yes, the Red Room and POR has not seen any action for some months now, but I will be back on the loco build and the POR as the year rolls on as I will be easing my frequency on the roster at Gympie. It has been a very enjoyable journey for me, I do my best to give it "Proper Job Pride" and the crews at the railway are a good mob. It is a heap of fun being part of a good team. It was a special to be passed as a Class 2, I am the first new driver from Zero at the railway. I got stuck in these last 2 years , especially the last 12 months so I could have good clear run as guard and loco trainee before the wave of new chaps and lasses which are arriving now.
I am truly "Living the dream" and MAM is urging me to do so while I am young enough to enjoy it.
The boiler cook up is next, all set to go, just waiting for a clear weekend to arrive.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:29 pm

I had an 12 hour day on Tuesday at Gympie, light up, drive 974 the shunt loco till 2.00pm, we had carriages here and there and turning the guards vans on the table, then I fired the last few hours of the shunt. The constant shunting was very good for my upping my skills.
Mean while 967 was delivered back to the Gympie shed for final fit out and trails. I will be in Gympie all of next week helping out.
There was a special buzz about the shed.
A view down road # 2 through a clear shed, 967 has arrived back.

The view from the drivers side of 974 as I had the privilege to buffer up and make the first ever shunt movement of 967.

We tuned 974 for this photo op and for the local press.

Split again and we moved 967 to the northern end of the shed.

If this pic does not excite you ? There were comments about Jelly Fish getting hard.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:11 am

Wow Dazza, you are so lucky. Some brilliant views form the footplate....

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:56 am

Thanks for sharing those cab pics, very interesting.

What are those valves without handles (two middle left and one bottom left).

I am assuming they are valves?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:08 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:11 am Wow Dazza, you are so lucky. Some brilliant views form the footplate....
I think you are referring to the washout plugs with the square heads. They are taper thread plugs that are removed for oeering in when doing boiler inspections and for poking the HP water nozzles in when doing boiler washouts.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:16 pm

Oily Rag wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:08 am Very nice group of pictures on the thread. I won't be able to make Gympie but I will be making my second visit to the QR museum at Ipswich in December. I need to top up some of my information on some items. Can I assume that the carriages were those of the type used on the QLD South Western (State Border) railway? Any details are useful as I have plans to build two.
The Ipswich workshops museum no longer has walking tours into the workshops, the heritage fleet is hidden away now, this is due to the workshops being used as a railway workshop again to scrap the old EMUs and or repair some of them. It is all very worrying as government are not fond of heritage steam on the net work.
It would be more fun if you made the trip to Gympie and rode and experienced real steam in action. The Mary Valley Rattler has #974 which is on lease from the heritage fleet. (Tax payer maintains the heritage fleet)
If you manage to get to Gympie during a weekend, ask for Darrell. I may on the loco or down the back doing guard duty.
It would be nice to meet a fellow forumite.
The carriages are a mix of Brisbane suburban and also long distance carriages.
I do not have plans of any of the carriages. I will ask about drawings.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:21 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:11 am Wow Dazza, you are so lucky. Some brilliant views form the footplate....

I am fortunate and I have been patient and toiled for many years to live this dream. I made sure I got in when the opportunity was there.
Here is some video (I am on the loco, black hat)

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZObo6Qb ... GTzDeIJLjY

and here,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJaeexEeUuE

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:59 am

Brilliant videos Dazza. Love the maintenance way trolly following, it brought some humour to it.... :lol:

You are lucky to be able to drive such a beautiful loco too.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:02 pm

967 moves in the Gympie yard. A few things to sort through, then the compliance engineer does his stuff.
Not long till I can have a go firing and driving this zero timed loco.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=917617488599723

I am itching to braze my boiler up, but a few more weekends have to pass before I can get some Red Room action.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:37 am

Now she is a mighty fine loco Dazza. You are a lucky man to be able to fire her up and driving her.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:10 pm

967 runs like a dream. I recently got to fire with 7 on the hook for its first test loaded test runs down the branch.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:54 pm

As I worked in the bike room prepping my boiler parts, MAM was doing some painting, she calls it"Bary T Wedgie" (Wedge tail portrait that gets the smiling caricature look) She is intending to exhibit it at an amateur show.

Super header header mount cooked to the tube plate with 45% Harris.

Filing clearance flows into the copper rivets used as pins. A bit like bike frame making in the good old days.

Ready to cook up. The prep took a lot of time. I have never brazed this amount of copper, even though it is not a big boiler I know copper conducts heat differently than steel and I have brazed steel for 40 years, so I was not sure what I was expecting. I had planned the process and was ready to go. MAM was playing with oils and pottery clay as I lit the torch.

It went OK, the good heat induction tricked me, things were flowing in places I was not yet paying attention to. If I was to do a couple of more I reckon I will hit my marks better.
I used Harris 56 and Cycle Designs flux which is the best brew I have used. I have used many over the 40 years in my daily work, the main stream brands are not as good as this. I used the air sucker to soak it a bit to save Oxy and then my LP rose bud gave all the heat I ever needed. I could have used the small rosebud.

Did my fillet witch wand thing with the bushes from bike making habits, but then I realised that might not be a good with with the fit of the cladding and so might requires some filing to remove. Whoops.

One seam, the inner to the throat plate looked fine on one side, but I was not positive about the flow under it and on the inside, so I cooked it up again and and made sure. All it would have taken is 5-8 seconds of playing the flame in the right spot to enure the flow was confirmed when the cook up was in full swing but I missed it, next time eh. I took no prisoners, I poured the silver in. Checked all the flows, all seems OK.

To the hot water to remove flux and then to the pickle.