A Garage For FWLR

What is your latest project?
FWLR
Driver
Driver

A Garage For FWLR

Post by FWLR » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:19 am

Anne has been on at me to get a garage built for the FWLR, seeing has I have now got about 7 to 8 cars bought over the last 18 months. They are not easily sourced and when they are people are very quick to buy them ( Peter Butler ) :lol: :lol: Anyway after some consultion with a couple members I have started my very first build with Plasticard. Buying some different thickness and practicing with the cutting of it, it can be a bit harrowing having a sharp blade close to your fingers cutting Plasticard :oops: You need to take your time and use even cuts, saying that I did go off line a few times and still do, but I have learnt to try and cut on the waste side away from the bit I want to use.

A couple of photos on the start of the build.

The front and sides.

fullsizeoutput_11ca.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_11ca.jpeg (340.15 KiB) Viewed 7554 times
fullsizeoutput_11c9.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_11c9.jpeg (368.92 KiB) Viewed 7554 times

I did forget however to put any windows in, so with very careful cutting I managed to cut some out. I also thought it needed a floor. I put a piece in to hold the corrugated roof I am putting in.

fullsizeoutput_11cb.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_11cb.jpeg (420.84 KiB) Viewed 7554 times

With the roof on.

fullsizeoutput_11ce.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_11ce.jpeg (455.21 KiB) Viewed 7554 times
DSCN3693.JPG
DSCN3693.JPG (477.4 KiB) Viewed 7554 times
DSCN3694.JPG
DSCN3694.JPG (470.87 KiB) Viewed 7554 times

Next is the office, by this time though I remembered to cut the windows first and the door.....

DSCN3698.JPG
DSCN3698.JPG (467.01 KiB) Viewed 7554 times

The thin strips are for the door into the garage. I am waiting now for some more corrugated sheet, so I can put it on the garage roof and for the door into the garage at the side.

Now I did also forget a major part of the build. I had thought of just painting the garage, but after looking at it I thought it looked very plain and boring. So I wanted to have it to look like a wooden garage. I was going to build it with separate slats, but then cutting the Plasticard into to 10mm wide strips I thought would be a bit of a nightmare. So I have practised, again after asking for advice from (Peter Butler) on the front garage doors.

Hopefully they look ok...
DSCN3701.JPG
DSCN3701.JPG (461.79 KiB) Viewed 7554 times
DSCN3702.JPG
DSCN3702.JPG (468.13 KiB) Viewed 7554 times

The hard bit is going to be cutting the ironmongery for them to fit onto the garage, so some thought is going into that. I have tried a few things, but they didn't turn out to good...

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: A Garage For FWLR

Post by SimonWood » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:45 am

Rod, this thread is really useful to me. I've never really done anything with Plasticard/HIPS but inspired by what I've seen (Peter Butler again!) I've been thinking about what I could build by way of giving it a go. It's really useful to see how you're getting started - so please keep posting! If you can bear to post about the things that didn't turn out so good, that'd be useful too, just so I don't unwittingly do things that you've already discovered don't work! I'm already impressed by what you're achieving with your garage, and how your ideas are developing as you build.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:00 am

Looking good! I like the overall shape of it - it's got a 1920s/30s feel to it, maybe?

What sort of corrugated sheet are you using? I need to buy some soon, my last lot was from Tenmille, which was OK but quite expensive...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:56 am

Well done Rod, great start. Good to see you enjoying the HIP material, it is by far the best to use for outdoor structures and will be ideal for your vehicle collection. (I have stopped buying cars now so you get first choice!!!)
In case I haven't mentioned it before, you can easily snap off pieces after a couple of straight cuts to save struggling to cut right through thick sheet.
Keep you fingers clear of the blade and show us how it develops.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:13 pm

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:56 am Keep you fingers clear of the blade and show us how it develops.
The model or the War wounds? :? :D

A really great looking model, Rod. I wish my first efforts had been as accomplished. Those stained wooden doors look particularly effective. :thumbup:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:05 pm

Looking good Rod.
Plasticard/HIPS is great to work with, isn't it?
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:51 am

Has requested by Simonwood, here is something that I am not 100% happy with.

While I was doing the office. I did it in 1.5mm card, bit of a mistake. It should have been 2mm at least I think. Reason being, I didn't realise how easy it is to start to curl when I was scribing the boards, so I put another thin piece on the back to try and straighten it. it does do that, but, because I have cut a window in the door, it's still very flexible.

A couple of photos showing the door.

DSCN3723.JPG
DSCN3723.JPG (471.51 KiB) Viewed 7445 times
DSCN3722.JPG
DSCN3722.JPG (443.76 KiB) Viewed 7445 times

It may look okay from the front, apart from a couple of boards a bit skew-width, it doesn't look right when the door is open, which I may do. So another one os getting done in 2mm card.

The moral is to think about how your project will look before deciding what material and thickness you are going to use. If you are just going to paint it, then thin card will suffice, but if you intend to have it looking like boards for a building especially and you are having doors or anything else that will open, then I suggest using thicker card. But I am a novice at Plasticard and there are far more experienced members who use it with greater success.

But don't be put off or think you will make huge mistakes, there are members who can really help with your build. I will make more mistakes I know and I will put them on the forum so other members can hopefully gain some insight to using Plasticard.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:02 am

Andrew wrote: ↑Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:00 am Looking good! I like the overall shape of it - it's got a 1920s/30s feel to it, maybe?

What sort of corrugated sheet are you using? I need to buy some soon, my last lot was from Tenmille, which was OK but quite expensive...
Hi Andrew,

I have used some Bole Laser Craft sheet. It is just a little bit cheaper then Tenmille, but has I haven't used any from them I can't say if the BLC stuff is better. I am still waiting for another supply from them. There is one thing though, BLC is 35cm long by 13cm wide. So I think it is slightly larger than Tenmille. Also you get two sheets.

http://bolelasercraft.com/product/corru ... ing-sheet/

I think I may get some from Tenmille and see how it compares with BLC.

One other thing Andrew, they are not vey quick at sending out your order, but who's in a rush.....
fullsizeoutput_11d2.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_11d2.jpeg (13.44 KiB) Viewed 7443 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:04 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:13 pm
Peter Butler wrote: ↑Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:56 am Keep you fingers clear of the blade and show us how it develops.
The model or the War wounds? :? :D

A really great looking model, Rod. I wish my first efforts had been as accomplished. Those stained wooden doors look particularly effective. :thumbup:

Rik
Thanks Rik, that's given me more encouragement. It's great to get compliments from members who are far more accomplished than I.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:09 am

philipy wrote: ↑Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:05 pm Looking good Rod.
Plasticard/HIPS is great to work with, isn't it?
Thanks Phillip. it is so easy in some ways to knock up some kind of building fairly easy. It only took me 50 minutes or so to get the four sides cut out, up and glued. And with the stuff that Peter advised me to use, you don't end up with loads of sticky fingers and more importantly....No silly dizziness with the very strong smell that you get with other fixing mediums....

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:15 am

I must mention the brilliant help I got from Peter Butler and bazzer52. Especially Peter, who gave me the encouragement to use Plasticard. I do admit I was very sceptical or was it more scared of trying it.

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:56 am Well done Rod, great start. Good to see you enjoying the HIP material, it is by far the best to use for outdoor structures and will be ideal for your vehicle collection. (I have stopped buying cars now so you get first choice!!!)
In case I haven't mentioned it before, you can easily snap off pieces after a couple of straight cuts to save struggling to cut right through thick sheet.
Keep you fingers clear of the blade and show us how it develops.
You did mention about scoring it Peter, and I am enjoying use HIP.

Glad to know you have stopped buying cars....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:27 am

Glad you're enjoying your garage build Rod and making good progress. I have been a user of plasticard for many years and am now trying out foam board for making buildings. There will be set backs for me along the way but I'll soon get better and make fewer mistakes. I've already discarded my first effort and am re-making it based on my experiences.
Ian

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:17 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:02 am
Andrew wrote: ↑Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:00 am Looking good! I like the overall shape of it - it's got a 1920s/30s feel to it, maybe?

Hi Andrew,

I have used some Bole Laser Craft sheet. It is just a little bit cheaper then Tenmille, but has I haven't used any from them I can't say if the BLC stuff is better. I am still waiting for another supply from them. There is one thing though, BLC is 35cm long by 13cm wide. So I think it is slightly larger than Tenmille. Also you get two sheets.

One other thing Andrew, they are not vey quick at sending out your order, but who's in a rush.....fullsizeoutput_11d2.jpeg
Brilliant, thanks Rod!

I didn't know you could get it from Bolecraft. It looks pretty good to me, should work out much cheaper than Tenmille and comes with a capping strip - I'll order some after Christmas, when I should hopefully have some spare cash again. I was itching to buy something on eBay yesterday but had to hold back after looking at my bank balance!

If you do order some Tenmille stuff remember that they're primarily aiming at the G1 market - buy the corrugated asbestos sheet rather than corrugated iron, otherwise it'll come out too small for 16mm.

Cheers,

Andrew.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:52 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:51 am Has requested by Simonwood, here is something that I am not 100% happy with.
Thanks Rod - useful to know thin material can curl like that, and to see both how you might fix it and how to avoid the problem.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:27 pm

Nice start Rod, it is always encouraging to see people trying new methods and writing them up.
It looks like it will be bit special when finished, perhaps you may give Mr Butler a run for his money.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:29 pm

IanC wrote: ↑Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:27 am Glad you're enjoying your garage build Rod and making good progress. I have been a user of plasticard for many years and am now trying out foam board for making buildings. There will be set backs for me along the way but I'll soon get better and make fewer mistakes. I've already discarded my first effort and am re-making it based on my experiences.
Can you do a write up on a new post please Ian?
I like hearing about others mistakes as it sometimes saves me from making them. :D
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:52 pm

Andrew wrote: ↑Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:17 pm
FWLR wrote: ↑Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:02 am

Hi Andrew,

One other thing Andrew, they are not vey quick at sending out your order, but who's in a rush.....fullsizeoutput_11d2.jpeg
Brilliant, thanks Rod!

I didn't know you could get it from Bolecraft. It looks pretty good to me, should work out much cheaper than Tenmille and comes with a capping strip - I'll order some after Christmas, when I should hopefully have some spare cash again. I was itching to buy something on eBay yesterday but had to hold back after looking at my bank balance!

If you do order some Tenmille stuff remember that they're primarily aiming at the G1 market - buy the corrugated asbestos sheet rather than corrugated iron, otherwise it'll come out too small for 16mm.

Cheers,

Andrew.
Bit like me Andrew... :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the tip on getting corrugated iron mate... :thumbright: :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:55 pm

Big Jim wrote: ↑Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:27 pm Nice start Rod, it is always encouraging to see people trying new methods and writing them up.
It looks like it will be bit special when finished, perhaps you may give Mr Butler a run for his money.
Thanks Jim. Although I may need a few more years practice at it... :lol: :lol: :lol: to get to Peter's fantastic standard.....

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:22 am

I've just found a couple of YouTube videos on making your own corrugated sheet material using aluminium takeaway food containers, not being computer savvy I don't know how to add a link but all I did was enter "scale corrugated sheet" on Google and that brought up a number of useful sites including a hand held crimping machine to produce corrugations in thin sheet for around Β£8 .50.
Phil

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:04 pm

Thanks Phil, but I couldn't find the site that had the roller for Β£8.50.

But I did find this site with a program for 3D printing some in for clear sheets. But I suppose the y could be any colour. Pity I don't have a 3D printer........... :cry: :cry:

Any offers.......... ;) ;)

Whoops, forgot to put the site details.

https://www.stlfinder.com/model/clear-c ... et/2493678