(WH)WHR Buildings

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
Paul_A_C
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: (WH)WHR Buildings

Post by Paul_A_C » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:39 am

FWLR wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:02 am How have I missed your thread Andrew, maybe when I was in hospital so I wouldn’t have seen what a very impressive build. :thumbright:

You certainly do fantastic work mate and does it matter if it takes some time to do things…who cares, I don’t……
I agree about the time sentiment. For me, often it’s the journey as well as the destination. A careful, quality build is by definition a slow build. It’s the satisfaction of the build and the end result that counts I believe.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Afternoon all!

The paintwork's done, figures added, I've varnished and glazed it - I think it's done...

Station building 20.jpg
Station building 20.jpg (169.5 KiB) Viewed 7441 times
Station building 21.jpg
Station building 21.jpg (184.62 KiB) Viewed 7441 times
Station building 22.jpg
Station building 22.jpg (242.16 KiB) Viewed 7441 times
Station building 23.jpg
Station building 23.jpg (286.9 KiB) Viewed 7441 times

It's not quite to scale (I don't know of any drawings, so I scaled it up from photos and tweaked it to suit the windows), but I think it captures the essence of the old Welsh Highland architecture - Nantmor-or-less?!! It'll be stored until spring now, but I've already got more foam board etc on order for future projects. The buildings bug has bitten...

Thanks for the encouragement and advice along the way,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Andrew that looks brilliant, sort of thing that would look good on my line with all the junk and shingle ballast.

Well done, a glass or two celebrate methinks!

Clockwork
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Clockwork » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:19 pm

Very nice modelling Andrew a pleasure to have on any layout. :thumbleft:
Kevin :thumbleft:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:10 pm

Top job Andrew, that will certainly add to the visuals on your railway.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:24 pm

Superb Andrew.
Looking forward to the next one!
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:13 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:24 pm Superb Andrew.
Looking forward to the next one!
It won't be long, but that's because the next one isn't really a new project at all, just a quick spruce up for Clarach's existing waiting shelter. I did most of it alongside painting Penlan station building, it just needs glazing now.

After that it'll either be a station building or a signal box for Trefechan, both based on NWNGR structures from Tryfan Junction - I'm not sure which I'll go for yet...

Cheers,

Andrew.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:47 pm

That building does look excellent, although it isn't scale the proportions look spot on to the extant that it looks like it could be.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:01 am

A perfect end to a great build. The timber work being picked out, the timetable, the name board everything just right.
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:45 am

Absolutely brilliant Andrew, just goes to show that a little time goes a long way on your build.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:53 am

Absolutely lovely job Andrew. It just oozes character. :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:24 pm

Do you take commissions? :mrgreen:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:42 am

I second what Tom as said…….I want one please….. :mrgreen:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:29 am

Brilliant bit of modelling with plenty of attention to fine detail.

Those figures look great too. I keep looking for suitable Star Wars etc figures when browsing my local charity shops but the only ones I seem to find are aliens - which I think might be a challenge to convert into 1930s Cheshire residents...

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:39 am

Andrew wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:48 pm The paintwork's done, figures added, I've varnished and glazed it - I think it's done...
That looks very nice. The light weathering helps tie it all together.

Looks like a busy day in Penlan......

Regards,
Graeme

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:48 pm

Thanks for the kind words re the building folks, much appreciated...

At the same time as I finished that one off I was giving the old platform shelter at Clarach a bit of a refresh. It's a Pendle Valley Workshop resin kit, always intended as a stopgap and so not built with quite the care it should have been - it started its life wonky, and exposure to the sun and a couple of tumbles from the platform to the patio have made it wonkier still. The recent work hasn't corrected that, but has smartened it up a bit - and it's usually only viewed from the back anyway!
Clarch station building.jpg
Clarch station building.jpg (222.4 KiB) Viewed 6847 times

It's posing in the front garden here (the line's not quite that overgrown!) and will now join Penlan's building in store until spring. Both stations need their platforms repairing/replacing, but I'll leave that until after winter now. I reckon Clarach's hut will do for another season or two, and by then I should have come up with a replacement - I'm thinking of a model based on Beddgelert's lamp hut, but with an open front where the double doors are.

In the meantime I think I've decided to go for making a signal box next -Trefechan's old toy station building is respectable enough for now, and the signal box will be an interesting challenge. I think I'll start wit the windows to get one of the more difficult bits out of the way first...

Cheers all,

Andrew

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:54 pm

Afternoon all,

With Tom's station building and the rusty tippers finished at the weekend, my thoughts have naturally turned to what I might do next. The priority has to be tidying up the railway, and that will include a new tunnel mouth to replace the one that fell apart after the wood holding it all together rotted away. I'll probably have a go at a model of Tryfan Junction signal box at the same time, because that will stand next to the tunnel and I'd like the colour of the stonework to match.

This lunchtime however, a trip to Wilko resulted in the first step being taken towards a future project, some sort of lineside hut or shed:

Peanut butter house.jpg
Peanut butter house.jpg (276.97 KiB) Viewed 6655 times

It's hardly the most efficient way of modelling a small slate roof, and I doubt it's the most efficient way to feed peanut butter to birds either, but I thought it would be fun to play with when my feathered friends have finished with it. I shall hang it in the tree when I get home - I'm hoping to lure back the little gang of cheeky sparrows who were regular visitors to the garden last year...

Cheers,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:11 am

Love the platform hut Andrew, it looks just right to me... :thumbright:

I bought some of those bird feeders of a well known shopping channel in January....All we got were those bulling gang of flipping starlings........ :cussing: :cussing: There was a couple of Blue Tits, but they didn't come back after the starlings visited....

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:33 pm

Great use of the bridfeeder

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:40 pm

Another foamboard build for you - this forum seems to be quite a foamboard fan club!

This one's a new tunnel mouth for Trefechan.

Readers of my Railway thread may recall that Trefechan tunnel (on which Clarach station sits) is largely made from decking board, clad with slate to look something like a Welsh hillside. The original tunnel mouth was made from pieces of slate and was intended to look something like the Welsh Highland tunnels in the Aberglaslyn Pass. Unfortunately the glue failed and bits of the wood rotted, so that fell to bits, forcing me to rig up this temporary solution to keep that corner of the garden looking even vaguely presentable:

Knackered tunnel.jpg
Knackered tunnel.jpg (361.47 KiB) Viewed 6488 times

That clearly wasn't going to do for long... Yesterday I had an extra day of holiday so, with the rest of the family doing other things, I stationed myself at the patio table and began work, starting with clearing the site:

Cleared site.jpg
Cleared site.jpg (397.59 KiB) Viewed 6488 times

The whole area will be tidied up as part of this project, with the space on the left designated for Trefechan Signal Box, which will follow at some point...

Whilst clearing I came across this little chap, who I was careful to find a new home for:

Slow worm.jpg
Slow worm.jpg (331.36 KiB) Viewed 6488 times

I do think that Slow Worms are rather lovely - understated, but handsome and beautifully proportioned. Rather like a Great Western Manor class...

Anyway, I got to work with the foamboard... It's quite a restricted site, which meant that the wing walls are parallel to the track and become the walls of the tunnel, directly supporting the arch. It's hardly classic tunnel mouth design, and I'm not entirely happy with it, but I've adapted NWNGR bridge features, particularly the shallow (yellow brick) arch to try to make it look vaguely plausible.

Here it is under construction:

Tunnel under construction 1.jpg
Tunnel under construction 1.jpg (249.22 KiB) Viewed 6488 times

And in situ, being tested for clearances with thaid of my tallest, widest loco - it's tight, but it'll do!

Tunnel under construction 2.jpg
Tunnel under construction 2.jpg (343.87 KiB) Viewed 6488 times

I'll be using plastic cladding for speed and convenience, even if the stone pattern's not quite right for the NWNGR... I reckon it'll all look OK once it's painted and the planting's grown up around it...

More to follow...

Cheers all,

Andrew.