Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Keith S
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Keith S » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:13 pm

So Dazza, I don't want to steer the conversation too far from your build, but with your wife and yourself both building a little garden locomotive for each of you, I am curious about where you will be running your locomotives. Do you have some rails in your garden, or will you be running them on a club track somewhere? I envy people in more temperate climes who have the ability to grow nice plants and have lots of time outside. In fact you probably have the opposite problems to me: It's only reliably above freezing where I live between perhaps mid-May and early September. As my house is new, I don't yet have a garden and when I do, it will be very small, and of course I will only be able to run butane-fired trains for maybe five months in a year. I'm very interested in the activities of people who live in other climates, because quite honestly mine makes me want to jump off a tall building sometimes. Are you interested in building rolling stock for these engines, or are you and Mrs.Dazza more interested in the engineering aspect of the locomotives themselves? Sorry for all the nosey questions.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:31 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:05 pm

Keith S wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:13 pm So Dazza, I don't want to steer the conversation too far from your build, but with your wife and yourself both building a little garden locomotive for each of you, I am curious about where you will be running your locomotives. Do you have some rails in your garden, or will you be running them on a club track somewhere? I envy people in more temperate climes who have the ability to grow nice plants and have lots of time outside. In fact you probably have the opposite problems to me: It's only reliably above freezing where I live between perhaps mid-May and early September. As my house is new, I don't yet have a garden and when I do, it will be very small, and of course I will only be able to run butane-fired trains for maybe five months in a year. I'm very interested in the activities of people who live in other climates, because quite honestly mine makes me want to jump off a tall building sometimes. Are you interested in building rolling stock for these engines, or are you and Mrs.Dazza more interested in the engineering aspect of the locomotives themselves? Sorry for all the nosey questions.
Not nosey at all, forums are for chatting and sharing. As tom_tom-go has mentioned, MAM (Mary Ann Martin, dear and very clever wife) and I have started the Potters Orchid Railway in the back yard. One end is at MAM's pottery shed and one end is just below her Orchid house. When the 80 tons of soil and the house renos rolled in we designed and had a terrace built just for the garden railway. I most likely will not run at clubs as I have so much going on, full size stuff is a big part of my railway enjoyment. I most likely will not make rolling stock as I will be finishing my 5" gauge loco and then moving onto my magnum opus steam loco build in 5" so kit built or RTR rolling stock it will be. I am more a model engineer than a railway modeler. At this moment the rest of the signal kits are on their way from the UK. I have to make them up and all the lighting wires laid before the terra forming can begin. I am keen to start this but it will wait till time allows. I drove to Gympie last Friday arvo, did my prep work on #974, slept on a camp bed in one of the guards wagons (the senior old fellas had the four available beds) then up at 3.00am. Tossed the lit rags in at 3.45am. The needle moved at 5.00. I handed over to the crews being assessed that day at 6.35am with 120 psi on the gauge. Then later I drove the fire trolley. Then signed off, signed back on as guard for the train at the station cafe for the engagement party and then did the shunt down the shed. Next day, guard duty, shunt and two trips down the branch and shunt. Drove home 2 hours , got home at 8.00pm, MAM had a glass of red and dinner for me. How sweet is that ! So things are slow on my model engineering and at the POR because of my involvement at the Mary Valley Rattler railway which is about to start to taking passengers again down the branch to Amamoor. (22kms) Start up only weeks away.

Sat morn, 15th Sept 2018
As we waited at the turn table with "Gertie" the fire trolley, I took this pic as they pulled out the rake, notice the clean loco ;-) Another chap and myself get stuck in as I boil her up.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:09 am

No trains or training at Gympie, fire ban is on and for good reason so I spent yesterday cleaning up a set of window frames for the #967 rebuild.
Today was making progress on the boiler back head and throat plate. All is fitting up as I had hoped, which is the pay off for being fussy.

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:59 pm

Really enjoying seeing your work on the boiler :thumbright:
and appreciate seeing the details of your boiler design - thank you for sharing.
I am still some way away from the boiler, so glad you are paving the way for the rest of us :D
I presume the design has been seen and approved by your inspector?
Would you mind posting dimensioned drawings for your approved design?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:26 pm

bambuko wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:59 pm Really enjoying seeing your work on the boiler :thumbright:
and appreciate seeing the details of your boiler design - thank you for sharing.
I am still some way away from the boiler, so glad you are paving the way for the rest of us :D
This boiler has been made many times here down under and I am just copying the design. These steam like a witch and the Rosebud grate handles all sorts of coal and char, no hassles. I have seen one in action and he just used any thing left over from the big locos.
I will get a GA drawing with dimensions for you this week. I print off each part dimensioned, my GA 2D is yet to be dimensioned. Stay tuned.
My boiler inspector has seen the drawings and when all my parts are done I will be presenting these to him.
This is my first boiler but confident as others have been here before with this one.
Email me directly using llewellynbikes@powerup.com.au and I will forward some info that is too big for this forum.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:30 pm

bambuko wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:59 pm Really enjoying seeing your work on the boiler :thumbright:
bambuko, I used the backing plate on my rotary table again. This is the same plate I made the expansion links on. I gave it a skim and then drilled and taped to hold the copper and used the bush holes to clamp down.

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:14 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:26 pm This boiler has been made many times here down under and I am just copying the design...
There is nothing wrong with following succesful design - no need to reinvent the wheel :)
... These steam like a witch and the Rosebud grate handles all sorts of coal and char, no hassles. I have seen one in action and he just used any thing left over from the big locos...
That is exactly the kind of recommendation that made want to go this way, rather than the simplified/more usual one.
... I will get a GA drawing with dimensions for you this week. I print off each part dimensioned, my GA 2D is yet to be dimensioned. Stay tuned...
thank you :thumbright:
... Email me directly... and I will forward some info that is too big for this forum.
email on it's way

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:44 pm

Saw, saw file file file. Fitting up the throat plate.

Starting to look like a boiler

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:25 pm

Drilling the stays, fitting up. I am using 1/16" copper rivets as locating/alignment pins. When the final clean up for the cook up then these will be filed with flats and centre popped marked to ensure they hold lightly in the slightly over size holes which are drilled for braze clearance. So far all is going OK.

I am starting the process of aligning the barrel with the fire box.

Another weekend at the Mary Valley Rattler, I lit up Sat and Sun as I have a "Boiler Advanced ticket" and the due to crewing hours regulations we need a light up crew and did a trip as a trainee guard on Sunday. I am standing by the buffers ready for the couple up as the loco leaves first moves out of the shed Sunday morning, so I snapped this pic with my trusty Cannon that lives in my top pocket. When the loco is out of the shed they blow the boiler down before coming onto the carriages. Passenger operations actually start next Saturday the 6th. Yay!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:56 pm

Aligning the barrel was a fiddle, then drill for the locating pins. All went well. Then drill and boring head, I dislike lobated holes.

I made a wee little tool for roll expanding the tubes, the raised ridge is to ensure the tubes stay put during the cook up. A tip I have seen a few times in Model Engineer mags.

It worked a treat.

The bushes and a few other things and then I am off to visit Mr Inspector.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:40 pm

Bushes next

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:52 pm

That's coming along nicely, looks great.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:26 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:52 pm That's coming along nicely, looks great.
I agree. It's going to be very impressive. Beyond my resources but still following with avid interest.
Ian

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Thanks all for your compliments and also it is nice to know that this loco build thread is of interest.
Progress is slow due to my weekends away at the Mary Valley Rattler and passenger services started last weekend.
Living the dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwMy570 ... ture=share

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Boiler is ready for Mr Inspector to pull apart and check over. I am expecting all is sweet but ......................

In hindsight I would have had the fire door opening lower as the super heater entry is going to be a pain. I have a plan for this, more on that later.

I was up early (5.00am) and I was on the PC sorting out the super heater header mounting plate and the header itself. I am putting an olive onto the steam header to cylinder connection for ease of maintenance or modification if required, but the S.H tube itsself will be brazed in. I can poke that through to the back head etc. Well that is my plan. Will see if it all works out.

The next three weekends I am on Roster at Gympie , lighting up and I may start some time on the footplate out on the branch trying to master landing it at the front of an 8 foot long grate on demand and also guard training, soon to be passed out.

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:29 pm

It's all becoming clear :D
Thank you again for such detailed progress reports.
This build thread is more than "of interest" - love it - source of info and inspiration :thumbleft:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:38 am

That looks like it will work for me Dazza.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:23 pm

592 pages of goodness arrived yesterday. What a splendid book this is :study:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:20 am

Interested in the super heater, will it be coiled up in the smokebox?