Scale (ish) vehicles

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Dasher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Scale (ish) vehicles

Post by Dasher » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:21 am

The subject of scale vehicles for 16mm (or lack of) has found its way into a number of threads recently. I've been playing around with the Universal Hobbies 1:18 Land Rover Defenders as they looked a close approximation to what was needed. I've measured the 110 Defender and compared to my own 12":1 foot version and it comes out at 1:18.4 which I can accept as a reasonably close approximation. The good news is that it is to this ratio in all planes. My UH 110 started life as a Police 'Battenburg" (as they are relatively cheap) and will be the subject of another thread as it is in the process of being transformed into a 110 Utility (Puma version).

I also picked up a "90" Station Wagon for ยฃ40 with the intention of chopping it up but the model is of such good quality that I decided to see what could be done whist retaining the exterior paint. So this one has just had the roof off, an interior repaint, the rear seats removed, a floor and bulkhead fitted - roof back on with a new headlining- and weathering of the shiny silver engine and under body.

I've tried to add some well known cues into the below images so that you can judge scale for yourselves. The Locomotives are a Roundhouse Harlech Castle and "Jack". The stock are Binnie flats and slates wagons. The cases are Trenarren Models, churns are Pendle Valley and the figures are Motley Minatures. Trolley is from Roundhouse. Track is SM32.

Also, a note about model cars and 1:18. 1:18 can vary quite a lot! I've included an image of a "90" and the semi-bashed "110" on a trailer. Although they don't appear it (and actually this is true when they are next to each other on the bench too) the "90" and "110" look to be to different scales - they are not - the casting from the front to the B Post is identical. However, the trailer is also "1:18". It may be so - but it would be a very large trailer! Compared to a standard Ifor Williams car transporter it works out at 1:14.8 but actually it's not really proportional across the model. I've bought it for the wheels, axles and mudguards - which are pretty close to 1:18 and will form the basis of an Ifor Williams style GP trailer once the razor saw comes out.
Attachments
adjusted 90, 110 trailer.JPG
adjusted 90, 110 trailer.JPG (459.24 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
adjusted cloes rear crop 2.JPG
adjusted cloes rear crop 2.JPG (390.63 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
adjusted close rear crop.JPG
adjusted close rear crop.JPG (390.36 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
adjusted front quarter view.JPG
adjusted front quarter view.JPG (408.09 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
adjusted overhead.JPG
adjusted overhead.JPG (425.04 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
adjusted plan view.JPG
adjusted plan view.JPG (373.37 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
adjusted rear view.JPG
adjusted rear view.JPG (434.27 KiB) Viewed 3927 times

Big Jim

Re: Scale (ish) vehicles

Post by Big Jim » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:34 pm

That looks rather good.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Dasher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Dasher » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:03 pm

[/attachment]
IMG_0981.JPG
IMG_0981.JPG (435.69 KiB) Viewed 3784 times
Wilf has been beavering away on the Defender that he picked up at the local auction and brought it home today. It still needs a little tidying in places and some lessons have been learned - the whole rear topside would be removed next time and the bonnet would have a further tier before smoothing. For anyone taking these on, the bonnet hinges are very fragile and the mirrors are even worse (one of these is hanging on already).
Attachments
IMG_0983.JPG
IMG_0983.JPG (474.85 KiB) Viewed 3784 times
IMG_0984.JPG
IMG_0984.JPG (423.16 KiB) Viewed 3784 times

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:23 pm

Looks good to me... I think I would be pleased with that.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:43 am

Very nice.

The trailer though I feel is about right. I saw one the other day being pulled by a local farmer and his Land Rover, it had a Transit on it. The sides of the trailer were overhanging by some way. So yours look about right Dasher. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Dasher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Dasher » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi Rod

There is a good site here:
http://jackochikatana.com/car-trailer-d ... tiny-home/

This is pretty good for both scratch building or bashing a lit or pre-constructed model. If using for or behind the UM Land Rovers then it is best to scale to 1:18.5 but in reality the difference between this and 1:19 isn't great. The UM L/Rs are as close to 16mm/foot that I've seen anywhere. I'm using the Motormax trailers as the donor models. They can be found here for example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motormax-1-1 ... 1438.l2649

They are about 10% wide, and the frames (especially the "A" frame) are exceptionally chunky (about 30cm in real world size). However, the wheels and mudguards are just right and the overall construction is such that chopping them down - both in width and (platform) length is relatively simple. New "A" frames are required - but that is needed anyway as I've yet to see a trailer where the "A' frames start at the corner of the bed. The tricky bit is going to be the coupling - looking like a fuse wire loop at the moment.

I have plans for this trailer - it will be turned into an Ifor Williams 'style' General Use Style (twin axle). I have a second Motormax which may become a more realistic transporter - or it may become a single axle trailer and donate its unused wheels as spares to be carried on the reconstructions.

At the moment I'm busy converting a milk bottle top into a (covered) spare wheel for the back of the 110. (Very "Blue Peter")!