(WH)WHR Buildings

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
Andrew

Re: (WH)WHR Buildings

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:40 am

Hello all,

I made a little more progress on the station building over the weekend - my modelling time seems to come in small chunks, an hour here, half-an-hour there, which is tricky with some projects but seems to be working OK for this one...

The corrugated cladding is now in permanently in place at one end:
Station 10.jpg
Station 10.jpg (185.11 KiB) Viewed 5748 times

The back wall of the waiting area now has its cosmetic wooden frame - the black corrugated sheet here is the old Brandbright stuff, happily just the same size as Tenmille asbestos sheet. The latter will need pins adding to represent whatever it is corrugated iron's fixed with - the Brandbright stuff has that.

Station building 8.jpg
Station building 8.jpg (258.44 KiB) Viewed 5748 times

And at the other end a door has been added to allow access to the office - the next job will be to add another one on the other side from the office to the waiting area.
Station building 9.jpg
Station building 9.jpg (265.36 KiB) Viewed 5748 times

That's all for now, but it's taking shape...

Cheers,

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:47 am

Andrew wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:40 am

That's all for now, but it's taking shape...

It certainly is, and very nicely too.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:41 am

Looks really good, well detailed and convincing structure. Well worth spending time adding the interior framing, makes all the difference.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:30 am

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:41 am Well worth spending time adding the interior framing, makes all the difference.
I think so - I didn't realise how important it was until I looked carefully at some photos of the real thing. My daughter prefers the framed inside to the plain outside and wants me to reassemble it inside out... You can't tell from the photos, but the framing is scribed with a saw blade to represent the grain in the timber - I believe the technique's known as "The Butler Method"...

Cheers,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:47 am

Looking good, Andrew. I like the combination of techniques. That corrugated sheeting looks effective.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:15 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:30 am
Peter Butler wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:41 am ...... the framing is scribed with a saw blade to represent the grain in the timber - I believe the technique's known as "The Butler Method"...

Cheers,

Andrew.
I will pass on your comments to my Gentleman's Gentleman, he will be delighted to hear his efforts have been recognised!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:08 am

Good morning!

Progress this week has been hampered a little by my taking my "slot and tab" construction technique a step too far on Monday evening when I attempted to cut a slot in my finger... Whilst cutting a recess into the foam board I applied too much pressure (and not enough care), snapping the end off the knife blade and sending the remaining stump through my nail and into my index finger. That was enough to stop any further modelling that evening, but on the whole I seem to have got away with it very lightly...

Somewhat gingerly, I picked up my tools again yesterday evening and set to work on the plastic "woodwork" that surrounds the opening to the waiting area. There's not much to see, the work mostly involving a lot of head-scratching and a little light Butler-ing to create the grain effect, but here's where I'm at so far:
Station building 11.jpg
Station building 11.jpg (260.19 KiB) Viewed 5673 times

Mr Tarkin has also sustained an injury and is rubbing his head whilst pointing to the offending piece of joinery. Those diagonal bits do come out a little low (even accepting that the figure's fairly tall), but I'll just have to use short figures there! I was wondering about a representation of Miriam Roberts, Beddgelert's "girl stationmistress", but she wore Welsh national costume and I fear the woodwork may knock her stovepipe hat off...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:29 am

Through the nail? A very painful injury :o Very early on in the building of my garden railway I managed to introduce two of my fingers to my circular saw :roll: I strongly recommend that people do not try this at home, work or anywhere else!
The most embarrassing part of the whole palaver was fainting in the kitchen and hitting my head on the stone floor, which added a whole new level of drama to the incident!
The building looks great - can't wait to see it finished, and I wouldn't worry about the low level of the angled support - your customers will soon learn where it is :mrgreen:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:30 am

Think Tom needs to add a banner to the top of the page " WARNING! Railway modelling can seriously damage your health"
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:41 am

philipy wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:30 am Think Tom needs to add a banner to the top of the page " WARNING! Railway modelling can seriously damage your health"
Physically and mentally!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:38 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:41 am
philipy wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:30 am Think Tom needs to add a banner to the top of the page " WARNING! Railway modelling can seriously damage your health"
Physically and mentally!
And financially

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:50 am

Ah, but modelling can be very therapeutic too - I reckon it's all about the right project at the right time, and when you're in the right head-space...

Anyway, I added the interior door yesterday evening, before disassembling the thing for the last time, to make sure I'd got all of the protective film off the foam board:
Station building 12.jpg
Station building 12.jpg (279.3 KiB) Viewed 5747 times
I'm busy this evening, but I hope to cut and fit the cladding at the weekend, and then it should really begin to look the part...

Cheers,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:11 am

It looks like the Empire dude has discovered the force and destroyed the building!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:24 am

Displayed on a red and white background makes me think of the barber's pole, blood and bandage...... makes me shiver just thinking about the injury sustained.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:08 pm

Craft knives can indeed be lethal. I was once hospitalized (outpatient) courtesy of Swann- Morton. The safety cover was a piece of plastic heat crimped on to the blade and Dingbat here tried to remove the cover by using my thumbnail against the cover with some force, thinking that I was applying pressure to the back of the blade. When the cover slipped off the back of my thumb opened up like a sausage cut lengthways, ; down to the bone! Forty years later the scar is still well defined. :|

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:17 pm

My preferred weapon is a Stanley knife with fixed blade, much easier to hold and control, able to give more pressure on the cut and the blade far less likely to disintegrate.
I only use the 1991 (normal duty) blades and everything I make is done with one of these.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:23 pm

invicta280 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:08 pm Craft knives can indeed be lethal. I was once hospitalized (outpatient) courtesy of Swann- Morton. The safety cover was a piece of plastic heat crimped on to the blade and Dingbat here tried to remove the cover by using my thumbnail against the cover with some force, thinking that I was applying pressure to the back of the blade. When the cover slipped off the back of my thumb opened up like a sausage cut lengthways, ; down to the bone! Forty years later the scar is still well defined. :|
Heck - #feelingfaint :mrgreen:
Where did I put that uncoupler?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:15 am

Yep, I definitely got away lightly with my own injury, which is healing nicely... I'm not sure what'll happen when the slot I've cut in my fingernail reaches the end, but I'm sure all will be well...

Anyway, back to the station building!

The main structure's all glued together now, and I completed the cladding over the weekend, so here's what it looks like now...
Station Building 13.jpg
Station Building 13.jpg (230.27 KiB) Viewed 5555 times
Station building 14.jpg
Station building 14.jpg (230.05 KiB) Viewed 5555 times

I think the slight indentations above the office door are probably where the glue melted the plastic a little, but I rather like how it looks so shan't be replacing that bit. The next step will be to get the roof to fit better then clad that too, followed by a little filling, tidying and detailing before painting. We've got a very busy couple of months ahead so progress may slow rather, we'll see...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:07 am

I think it all looks just fine and the slight imperfections add character to the image.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:09 am

Proper job there Andrew!

I don't have the patience to make buildings.