Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: (WH)WHR Rolling Stock

Post by FWLR » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:59 am

Oh dear Andrew, we have all done something like that haven’t we. I did it when I was building my N gauge stuff, a 6 bay roundhouse…I wasn’t best pleased….

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:54 am

Looking good Andrew! I've found a picture of the NWNGR 3 plank wagons, might have a go at making some of these after the Jurassic wagons and brake van. Might also look at the solitary Cleminson wagon as well.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:53 am

Glad you like 'em, thanks!

I must build a van and proper NWNGR/WHR brake next, but I thought I'd move onto the smaller opens after that too. Are you thinking of the sort like the ones on the right in this picture?

I'm wondering how to model those axleguards - pretty distinctive but unlike anything on the market. I might just go with the plainest ones I can find...

I'll try to modify my slate wagon building technique to recreate some of the NWNGR's distinctive "cornerless" slate wagons at some point - the chap above's done a great job of those. And of everything else come to that!

All the best,

Andrew.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:26 am

A van is probably next on my list although this will be a WHR vehicle. Research by the FR Heritage group has concluded that the two vans were built from coal wagons in 1927. The square door van might be a former "ridged-roof" wagon or at least received the doors whereas the curved door van likely received parts from several FR vans. Both had doors on both sides (unlike Boyd's description).
The three plank wagons were full drop-sided at 3 tons (unlike the ones above). The Gloucester works photo below is from the FR ibase archive.
wp_ss_20180630_0001.png
wp_ss_20180630_0001.png (372.14 KiB) Viewed 6305 times

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:54 pm

Oooh, that's rather nice, isn't it? Wheels and axleguards readily available from Binnie, and good for general traffic too - those fixed sided wagons must have been a pain to unload. It's on my build list, thank you!

Yes, I read that about the vans and their doors - I'm glad I did before I built one! I re-positioned the brake levers on my coal wagons to where I thought they'd have to go if they were later converted into vans, if you see what I mean.

No other distractions this evening, so I hope to get back to my slate wagons...

Cheers,

Andrew.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:48 am

Looking forward to seeing your work. I'd like to have a 2 sets of carriages and wagons; NWNGR (for Moel Tryfan and maybe another locomotive) and combined WHR/FR (for the Wrightscale Baldwin). I'd probably need a battery locomotive as well, probably the Baldwin tractor (became Moelwyn) if I knew the colour!
Just need the WHHR to hurry with the Pickering!

11thHour
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by 11thHour » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:29 am

JMORG wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:26 am The Gloucester works photo below is from the FR ibase archive.
wp_ss_20180630_0001.png
Love Gloucester's makeshift 1'11" track!

Tim

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:19 am

JMORG wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:48 am Looking forward to seeing your work. I'd like to have a 2 sets of carriages and wagons; NWNGR (for Moel Tryfan and maybe another locomotive) and combined WHR/FR (for the Wrightscale Baldwin). I'd probably need a battery locomotive as well, probably the Baldwin tractor (became Moelwyn) if I knew the colour!
Just need the WHHR to hurry with the Pickering!
I think I recall reading somewhere that the FfR's "tractors" were all green. I've got an Andel Models Moelwyn (currently awaiting a new battery pack) and I think I'll give that a coat of dark-ish green over it's unpainted green resin finish at some point, probably a sort of municipal lawnmower shade... In the longer term I'm considering models of Kerr Stewart 4415 or the Simplex, both of which seem appropriate "might have beens" for my fictional WHR branch...

Might have read somewhere that the FfR are planning a Pickering brake compo, possibly after the current Ashbury replica is complete?

Do post photos of your WHR/NWNGR stuff as you finish it, I always like to see what others are up to...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:20 am

11thHour wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:29 am
JMORG wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:26 am The Gloucester works photo below is from the FR ibase archive.
wp_ss_20180630_0001.png
Love Gloucester's makeshift 1'11" track!

Tim
Curves might have been interesting...

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:47 pm

Andrew wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:19 am I think I recall reading somewhere that the FfR's "tractors" were all green. I've got an Andel Models Moelwyn (currently awaiting a new battery pack) and I think I'll give that a coat of dark-ish green over it's unpainted green resin finish at some point, probably a sort of municipal lawnmower shade.
The Simplex's were painted in British Army Artillery green when new, I imagine any repatriated equipment was painted green and black (both being readily available).
Andrew wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:19 am Might have read somewhere that the FfR are planning a Pickering brake compo
Ah really? I know the WHHR were making one (they have bogies at least) so if this is true I dread to think about the current political climate between them. I already heard one rumour regarding Russell's lack of appearance at Hunslet 125 which (if true) makes one of the organisations look childish!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:29 am

Hello again!

Life's been awfully busy lately, with very little time for trains, but I have managed to complete and paint the last two of my rake of five FR slate wagons:
Slate wagons, last two.jpg
Slate wagons, last two.jpg (366.22 KiB) Viewed 6078 times
I think I read that about one in six of the real wagons were braked, so I though one of mine ought to be - you can see the handle, the brake shoes are on the other side.

All five now await numbering and weathering before they can enter service - at which point I'll have to tidy up the line again and run a slate train...

Cheers,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:06 am

They look brilliant Andrew, love the Red Oxide one…. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:41 am

All done!

I finished weathering the completed slate wagons last night, so here's a couple of pictures of the whole rake:

Slate wagons complete 1.jpg
Slate wagons complete 1.jpg (413.42 KiB) Viewed 5989 times
Slate wagons complete 2.jpg
Slate wagons complete 2.jpg (377.33 KiB) Viewed 5989 times

I've already got two Binnie ones and a couple of larger 3 ton wagons from PMVR, as well as three wooden bodied WHR wagons, so expect slate train pics soon...

Eventually I'll need to build some proper WHR (ex NWNGR) slate wagons - I'll use the same sort of technique but they'll be trickier because they weren't braced at the corners and had quite distinctive axleguards.

Cheers,

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:11 am

They look really good. Love the way they are all subtley different, just as you'd expect. Looking forward to seeing the complete mixed up rake.
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:23 am

I agree, they look the part and a great scenic photo of the railway as well.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:30 am

Excellent bit of modelling and some lovely photographs
Ian

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:25 pm

Lovely pictures and nice to see your baby's tears thriving, mine's scorched brown. Should rain next week as we're off to North Wales :roll:

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:41 pm

Looking good Andrew! Be keen to see your NWNGR wagons, I have progressed with my Jurassic wagons and now possess a WD "D" from Swift Sixteen. Modern carriage 23 and 39 just need roofs to finish.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Glad you like the wagons, thanks for the feedback! That spot's about the only photogenic location on the railway at the moment - I've been including the baby's tears with the marigolds when I've been watering!

Sounds like your WHR/NWNGR train's coming along nicely JMORG - have you got any photos? My to do list is frequently re-arranged according to my latest whim, but I don't think I'll be building any more slate wagons any time soon - with the possible exception of another Binnie kit which I'll turn into one of the NWNGR ones with the addition of brake gear. When I do build more I'll probably go for the design that appears on p7 of this journal - https://www.welshhighlandheritage.co.uk ... -No-49.pdf. Wooden frames and iron body, by the looks of it, and I've got a set of IP "trolley" axleguards which look near enough, although ideally I'd like another couple of sets so I can build three. Incidentally, I was excited to learn about K F Antia from the same magazine - I like to have the odd representation of real characters on my trains, and he'll fit the bill admirably. 16mm's first Zoroastrian?!

Cheers,

Andrew.