Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Keith S
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Keith S » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:52 pm

I think I like the idea of the "slomo" being in the tender better anyway, if you want my opinion. Better to have the pump directly powered by the locomotive rather than indirectly via the tender's wheels. Also, (even though this might amount to heresy) while I like the slomo idea, I do not like the fact that it is visible between the locomotive frames. People who have electric-powered models of steam engines always go to great and clever lengths to disguise the worm-gears and shafts that, by necessity, have to be mounted between the frames of their models. Now we have people with real steam engines installing a visible geared mechanism between the frames. I too am very impressed with the performance of slomo-equipped engines, but I am less impressed when the slomo is installed in such a way as to make visible an arrangement of gears and chains between the frames.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:23 pm

I actually contacted the Down Under Rectus supplier on Friday and they have forwarded me the relevant catalogue pages and I am yet to study them. I think these Rectus couplngs are the way to go. I also signed up the Westernthunder forum, it looks interesting. I am off now to the Red Room to work on the prototype signal operating mech. Cheers Dazza

bambuko wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:54 pm
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:46 pm I am seeking assistance from the collective wisdom.... I am currently working up these drawings and my need is of information on water connections, I will have three connections with the feed pipes being 1/8 " OD with 1.70mm ID and the "Bypass Valve" will masquerade as the tender hand brake.
Can any one give me tips on materials, hose material and a good working connection details ?
Not necessarily wisdom, just searching for similar solution.
Assuming you want quick coupling? I'd look up Rectus range of quick couplers.
02KA Series Micro-Coupling
Temperature Range:
-20oC to +100oC
Standard Seal NBR
Maximum Static Working Pressure:
PB 35 bar (500 psi)
hose I.D. 2mm or 3mm

Alternatively an interesting solution is mentioned in this thread:
http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.p ... thur.3588/
Have no way of linking to the specific post in the thread, but I am sure you will enjoy looking through the whole thread (I think it is second or third page...) :)
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:31 pm

Keith S wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:52 pm I think I like the idea of the "slomo" being in the tender better anyway, if you want my opinion. Better to have the pump directly powered by the locomotive rather than indirectly via the tender's wheels. Also, (even though this might amount to heresy) while I like the slomo idea, I do not like the fact that it is visible between the locomotive frames. People who have electric-powered models of steam engines always go to great and clever lengths to disguise the worm-gears and shafts that, by necessity, have to be mounted between the frames of their models. Now we have people with real steam engines installing a visible geared mechanism between the frames. I too am very impressed with the performance of slomo-equipped engines, but I am less impressed when the slomo is installed in such a way as to make visible an arrangement of gears and chains between the frames.
I hear you, however for me, the # 1 is a realistic speed. I thoroughly enjoy seeing any size steam loco moving in a calm manner. Seeing a very realistic narrow gauge loco doing an impression of the 3 July 1938 run down Stoke Bank makes me want to turn away. Slomo Terry said it is best to mount the Slomo direct to the driver axle and I can understand why this is so, to take the slack in the coupling-drawbar snatching out of the equation.
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:42 am

I am in complete agreement about the realistic motion. I have a flywheel van that gives me some of the advantages of a "slomo", but my locomotive is not radio controlled, so it's not as vital that it be able to stop and start realistically. When it does stop to catch its wind though, I do like it when the slack runs out of all the chains. I can only imagine that's what it used to be like on unequipped trains with buffers and chains.

I am extremely impressed with your building of this locomotive, and I'm sure whatever you decide to do, it will work out very well.

11thHour
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by 11thHour » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:01 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:23 pm I actually contacted the Down Under Rectus supplier on Friday and they have forwarded me the relevant catalogue pages and I am yet to study them. I think these Rectus couplngs are the way to go.
Hi Dazza,
I am going to explore pneumatic quick connects. Cheaper and smaller ( you only need one fitting) they come in 2 mm tube and work to 3 bar . Temperature range needs exploring. Of course you may be averse to plastics on your loco, I still need to get past that hurdle. That said I am keen to see the result of your enquiries.

Tim

Ps these pneumatic fittings seem to be referred to as ‘push in fittings’

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:18 pm

Saturday and Sunday saw MAM just outside the doors of the Llewellyn Loco works doing some painting on her Lady Ann kit.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:13 am

That's looking really fantastic, selfbuilt and well running. Look forward to finished engine :D

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:50 pm

MAM is working on her loco

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:28 am

Demonstrating the easier way to fit a Slomo, when the loco is new and in kit form :thumbup:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:59 am

MAM always has a smile on her face whenever you put photos up of her on the forum. She certainly is truly, a great asset to you Dazza…. :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:40 am

FWLR wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:59 am MAM always has a smile on her face whenever you put photos up of her on the forum. She certainly is truly, a great asset to you Dazza…. :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

Yes, she is my best asset in life and I am very fortunate she found me.
I am very happy to grow old with her.
MAM applies herself to many creative things, avoids TV and gets on with doing stuff.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:32 am

Has Anne is to me Dazza. Wouldn’t be the same without them, Anne as filled a void in my life. :thumbright:

Now to try and stop watching the flipping rubbish that’s on the tv and concentrate more on our line, just has you do…. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:35 pm

FWLR wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:32 am Has Anne is to me Dazza. Wouldn’t be the same without them, Anne as filled a void in my life. :thumbright:

Now to try and stop watching the flipping rubbish that’s on the tv and concentrate more on our line, just has you do…. :thumbright: :thumbright:
The only TV I can sit down with my feet up is once a week on usually a Friday night if some thing like Endeavour or some other good quality UK detective series.
Only on the ABC as I can not tolerate the toxic swill that is commercial TV and the adverts send me into

and then by the second minute of adverts I go into

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:55 am

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: So do I….

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:13 pm

For my sins of meeting with the QSMEE (Queensland Society of Model Experimental Engineers) boiler inspector regards my steel Briggs and my copper garden steamer, I was handed a paint brush. The three sets of stair risers from the over head bridge to the platform was given a rough coat of paint. Track and Tent run weekend is next weekend but I will be at Gympie (Mary Valley Rattler) getting more hours around #974 towards my ES ticket. The rest of Sunday afternoon was making a carriage key and pondering the steps towards my first copper boiler.

Saturday was degunge the brass window frames for #974. That took some many hours. At a later time I will give them a polish up.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:29 pm

Took the day off work, up at 4.30 am, 2 hours drive to Gympie. Spent the day on RM2017/RM2023 (RM2000 class railmotors) with fellow trainees, Stan and Greg and our Tutor John.
The arvo was topped off with two trips on the first staff section to Monkland. This section was part of the old north coast mainline until the deviation (to avoid the steep twisty climb into Gympie) was in place Circa 1989.
It was 45 years after my last time I was in a railmotor on that section of line visiting my Grand Parents in Gympie and who would have thought I would drive one many years later. Later we progress down the old Brooloo branch line that once left the mainline just south of Monkland. My fellow trainee Stan was the last station master at Monkland when it was cut off the mainline and closed.
Got home at 7.00pm and then enjoyed two glasses of red. A nice day, living the dream !
One hiccup due to the terrible drought the whole of the eastern Australia is currently suffering, steam loco training may be postponed due to the fuel loads beside the track. The Rattler Railway does not want to burn down the Mary Valley on its first week of training or passenger services. Which might mean more Diseasel training and RM2000 training.

Me having a go.

I am also signed up for "Red Rocket" training int eh months to come (1930s built RM76) which has a crash gear box.

Living the dream.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:45 pm

Good for you Dazza, I'm pleased for you but not so sure about Flash Gordon's can of beans... much prefer the Red Rocket!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:04 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:29 pmMe having a go.
That'll be a British United Traction power handle ... as used on a lot of UK DMUs.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:48 am

The drought is evident by the poorly-looking planter hanging on the station eaves in the first picture!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:25 am

TonyW wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:04 am
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:29 pmMe having a go.
That'll be a British United Traction power handle ... as used on a lot of UK DMUs.
Yes, when they built them they imported many of such parts. These units have Rolls Royce 150 hp diesels live under each unit. Some had AEC engines.
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.