Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
daan
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by daan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:51 pm

Looks very tidy so far, now fingers crossed for pressured air testing!! :thumbright: :thumbright:
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:04 pm

Yesterday I took the afternoon off and caught the Sparky into town and attended a presentation of the "Sydney Mail" by Queensland Rails rail historian Greg Hallam. Met up with friends and after we paused at a cafe to tell stories where I noticed the brown paper bags for placing slices of desert into. I requested one paper bag along with my cup of tea, tossed some extra coin into the tip jar. After dinner, in the Red Room the paper bags use is realised. It was .06mm thick when dry. Print off the steam chest over and front cylinder covers in 1-1 scale. Some cello tape. Line up one of the previously made shim punches in the little mill Drill. (1.70mm for the 10 BA, 1.75mm would be better if I was into production mode) . Pressed some holes, then out with the sharp pointed scalpel. An oil soak and then fitted up the chest covers. It was fun.

Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:04 pm It was fun.
Yes, I can see it..... no I can't. Fun must come in a variety of ways and that isn't one. However, if it works for you then that's fine and I really appreciate the attention to detail which will be completely hidden and unappreciated by non-techi morons like me.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:59 am

Thats the beauty of it Peter, you can’t see it and it works…… :thumbright:

Dazza, really great bit of work and well worked out too in making it. :thumbright: :thumbright:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:37 am

I can appreciate this, well done.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:24 pm

Impressive engineering and attention to detail.

I am in awe.

Ian
Ian

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:39 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 pm
Yes, I can see it..... no I can't. Fun must come in a variety of ways and that isn't one. However, if it works for you then that's fine and I really appreciate the attention to detail which will be completely hidden and unappreciated by non-techi morons like me.
ABC jazz digital radio is on low, we have eaten and showered, MAM is down the corridor in her art room watching a utube on how to fit the Slomo to her Lady Ann frames. I click and drag the 3D model onto the 2D page a few times. I print this off. I ponder and experiment a few times, settle on a process and away I go. The results seem to have worked. It was all simple. The punch is made from a drill shank and a previously drilled piece of steel, used for making holes in brass shim. It was relaxing, enjoyable and a nice result. That is satisfying. That is fun. More fun to be added maybe next Tuesday as a good friend of mine does the hot test of # 967's new welded boiler and I will be attending, learn a bit more about the testing process and I will get to toss some black stuff onto its grate. That will also be fun, even if I have to get up at 3.30am and drive for 2 hours to be there for the match to be tossed in and after a long day of fun, the drive home again, but the drive home goes well as one reflects on the day and the things learned. The day will be chased with a couple of glasses of red. :P

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:50 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:39 pm
Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 pm
The day will be chased with a couple of glasses of red.
Now we're talking fun!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:56 pm

Not a lot done last night, phone calls, customers and heritage railway related, however the front cylinder covers gaskets were cut out and the covers were fitted.
I read in the book that Brian Wilson suggests setting up the exhaust T before the steam T, I take heed of this and as I have not made the exhaust T I will start spinning some brass in the Myford tonight, before I knock off to watch Endeavour. (the only TV I watch all week) Maybe this weekend will be the air test.

I used an old compass that kicks about the workshop that I used circa 1978 during my schools days, I sharpened one the points to be a bit knife like and used it to scribe the circles, then a touch up with the Exacto scalpel.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:01 am

The Viton O rings did not sit well in the back of the exhaust sealing nuts,

So I grind a piece of 1/*" HSS to clear out a relief inside the nut. That went well.

MAM meanwhile is working on her Lady Ann frames.

Unlike me, she likes to paint

I assemble, the big event is getting close

I had to make a trip to that dreadful place called Bunnings, to get some 1/8 ID vinyl tubinng.
Rummage up some air fittings I had, turn a piece of brass and braze it into a fitting, rig it all up.

I call MAM to come and witness what is about to happen.

To be continued.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:16 am

MAM arrives.
I have much apprehension, almost to the point of procrastination, but no rush, never rush and trip over on the last step and thus bite the dust.
Cameras ready.
Full forward is set.
I open the air valve,
Away it races, whoooooooo.......................
Quickly close the air valve. The realisation it actually goes sinks in, yells of

"it lives, it breathes, rise, rise"
I just needed some lightening strikes and a fierce summer storm with the lightening flashes lighting up the Red Room via the sky lights and a better Dr Frankenstein movie voice.
I open the valve gently and away it goes, back it off, the valve is a bit on and off, the workshop compressor is set to 90 psi (the bike workshop an air line is plumbed to the Red Room), so get a G clamp and simply throttle the nylon tube.
Chugga chugga chugga chugga.......................................................................................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt5i34n ... e=youtu.be

The workshop crew all gather around.

Forward works, into reverse, yep, just as good

Ponder, will it notch up ?

Yep, will work on air with the die block 1/3 travel in the link, as per what the CAD model and the Docstader confirmed.
I am chuffed with myself, because I considerably redesigned the published valve gear layout after much consulting of text books and CAD models and the Doctrader valve gear simulator. That was a lot of work and over heating of my brain cells. The story of that is earlier in this thread.
Much
Red was consumed last night, just watching it.

11thHour
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by 11thHour » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:55 am

well done Daz,

Mech dosen't seem to have any binds or hesitation.
Even I feel relieved,on to steam!

Tim

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:25 am

Well done Dazza, running quite smoothly by the look of it. At least there is no sign of red wine being spilt!
Phil

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:51 am

Brilliant. You must be well pleased. Rightly so.

Ian
Ian

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:43 am

What a fantastic achievement, we are all in awe of your abilities!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:06 am

Brilliant.... success first time too! I can't do it myself but have said before I am seriously impressed by those who can. I am equally impressed with the way MAM presents her recommended paint product in her best model pose, also the incredible cleanliness and order of your Red Room. Congratulations to you both.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:13 am

to all and your nice responses.

It is pretty smooth, there is a wee tight spot which I tried to remove some time back but it was hard to trace, I think it is the driving crank pins being a wee tad off square, I did not machine a lead in on the pin to assist going in dead square to the crank, when pressed in. Next time, when I make a Burma Railways # 9 I will sort that. Any how I was content to believe it would ease with some running in after an hours running last night it is nearly gone already.
The steam chest covers have a wee leak, just a very slow bubble from two spots . Which means they are not flat enough. With the brown paper gaskets I will give the covers a wee bit treatment with the figure 8 rub over sheet of 600 grit on the surface plate. If that fails then I will use a thicker gasket. There is room on the studs for this. It has gone as well as I could have ever hoped for my first chassis to actually run. Just a few minor things to attend to, and also cross drilling and pining the eccentric cranks (Return cranks, UK) to the crank pins now that I am not going to need to adjust them.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:09 am

Congratulations on the airtest Dazza, looks superb!! I guess you used plenty of oil while testing? It is a very good reason to celebrate after all your hard work, it's alive now! :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:46 pm

I am seeking assistance from the collective wisdom.
Due to discovering the virtues of a Slomo mech after I made up m loco axle/wheel assemblies for this loco and thus having the water pump between the frames I am now fitting a Slomo mech to the Tender of #1 . (If I knew what I know now I would have the pump in the tender, one connection and the Slo in between the loco frames) I am currently working up these drawings and my need is of information on water connections, I will have three connections with the feed pipes being 1/8 " OD with 1.70mm ID and the "Bypass Valve" will masquerade as the tender hand brake.
Can any one give me tips on materials, hose material and a good working connection details ?

bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by bambuko » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:54 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:46 pm I am seeking assistance from the collective wisdom.... I am currently working up these drawings and my need is of information on water connections, I will have three connections with the feed pipes being 1/8 " OD with 1.70mm ID and the "Bypass Valve" will masquerade as the tender hand brake.
Can any one give me tips on materials, hose material and a good working connection details ?
Not necessarily wisdom, just searching for similar solution.
Assuming you want quick coupling? I'd look up Rectus range of quick couplers.
02KA Series Micro-Coupling
Temperature Range:
-20oC to +100oC
Standard Seal NBR
Maximum Static Working Pressure:
PB 35 bar (500 psi)
hose I.D. 2mm or 3mm

Alternatively an interesting solution is mentioned in this thread:
http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.p ... thur.3588/
Have no way of linking to the specific post in the thread, but I am sure you will enjoy looking through the whole thread (I think it is second or third page...) :)