A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

Post by IanC » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:29 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:33 pm Hello!

I'd agree re RH's excellent customer care and have benefited from it several times. They make lovely engines too...

I think any of those engines would fit your theme admirably - and I do like a nice theme... All three are large-ish, which you might want to bear in mind if you've got limited space - the L&M loco need 3' curves, and the coupling swing on tight curves could be large with that or the Beddgelert. I've always thought the Lady Anne/Silver Lady very attractive and plausible freelance locos - they'd maybe fit the bill too?

Or you could get a Millie, and spend the change on some embellishments and a suitably ornate lining job!

Cheers,

Andrew.
I agree with all of Andrew's comments. The Silver Lady has a more Victorian appearance for me than the Lady Anne. Why not go along to some local Association meetings and see if others are operating some of your possible loco's? The only one on your list I've not seen "in the flesh" at any local meetings is the L & M locomotive.

Ian
Ian

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:02 pm

Thank you for your advice!
IanC wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:29 pm I agree with all of Andrew's comments. The Silver Lady has a more Victorian appearance for me than the Lady Anne. Why not go along to some local Association meetings and see if others are operating some of your possible loco's? The only one on your list I've not seen "in the flesh" at any local meetings is the L & M locomotive.

Ian
IanC, what was your impression of the L&M loco?
Current location: Yaroslavl, Russia

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:34 pm

HereticUK wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:02 pm Thank you for your advice!
IanC wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:29 pm I agree with all of Andrew's comments. The Silver Lady has a more Victorian appearance for me than the Lady Anne. Why not go along to some local Association meetings and see if others are operating some of your possible loco's? The only one on your list I've not seen "in the flesh" at any local meetings is the L & M locomotive.

Ian
IanC, what was your impression of the L&M loco?
Sorry Heretic. The L&M the only one I've not seen. It's too big for my requirements so never been under serious consideration. Given your criteria, my short list would be the Silver Lady or Russell, purely because they would possibly be more suited to some of the smaller lines shhould you visit others.

Hopefully someone with an L&M loco can give you an unbiased review. If not, and it's something you really must include on your short list I'd try to see one and look closely at the specifications before spending any money. I'm not sure what radius curves it would cope with. so for me some serious research would be necessary.

My only loco is a lady Anne. The rest of my views are based purely on observation. For my next loco I'm going smaller. On my short list are the Roundhouse Katie, or the Kit built George/Mildred.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Ian
Ian

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Sorry, Ian, I completely misread your previous message (serves me right for reading on the bus), I thought that you had only seen the L&M loco.

While Lady Anne does fulfil this theme, I am not so keen on her simply because she's so... "generic"; it seems as if everyone has one, I would like something different. I asked my girlfriend (who is taking an interest and fully supports me in this endeavour) and she prefers Beddgelert, but thinks Russel is also very nice.

Size-wise, I will have access to a rather large area (I haven't measured it yet, but it will probably be somewhat larger than the "average" little line around a small garden plot), so I don't think I will be having so many problems with curves and clearances.

In the end, I am still thinking about the Accucraft Mona, since it was truly love at first sight, and Accucraft manufacture in batches (i.e. once it's gone, it's gone), whereas Roundhouse manufacture to order all year round. It would be more sensible of me to get the Mona this year and save for a truly special Roundhouse model later.

Does anyone have any experience with Accucraft models in general? In particular the IoM models (Peveril, Caledonia, Mannin) that have come before.

Just Julie
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Just Julie » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:26 pm

looking forward to see you line develop. :thumbright:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:18 pm

HereticUK wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:09 pm Sorry, Ian, I completely misread your previous message (serves me right for reading on the bus), I thought that you had only seen the L&M loco.

While Lady Anne does fulfil this theme, I am not so keen on her simply because she's so... "generic"; it seems as if everyone has one, I would like something different. I asked my girlfriend (who is taking an interest and fully supports me in this endeavour) and she prefers Beddgelert, but thinks Russel is also very nice.

Size-wise, I will have access to a rather large area (I haven't measured it yet, but it will probably be somewhat larger than the "average" little line around a small garden plot), so I don't think I will be having so many problems with curves and clearances.

In the end, I am still thinking about the Accucraft Mona, since it was truly love at first sight, and Accucraft manufacture in batches (i.e. once it's gone, it's gone), whereas Roundhouse manufacture to order all year round. It would be more sensible of me to get the Mona this year and save for a truly special Roundhouse model later.

Does anyone have any experience with Accucraft models in general? In particular the IoM models (Peveril, Caledonia, Mannin) that have come before.
No problem. When I got the Lady Anne, Silver Lady wasn't around. Most of the models based on actual locomotives were out of my price range too. I agree about them being popular. I have started to personalise mine. Nothing too drastic. It carries a name, some locoworks additions and a top up valve. Further cosmetic changes are planned. FWIW I happy happy with my loco. To my eyes it looks good and runs well. I have no experience of Accucraft locomotives although I like the Earl and Countess. Most of the locomotives I see on my travels to other lines are Roundhouse. If you want to do something based on the IoM or W&L then Accucraft would be my choice. I'm hoping to buy something a little different. I haven't seen any pictures, but I understand it's a hybrid, based on a Roundhouse chassis. Just waiting for details.

Good luck with your railway. I'm stuck with the "average" garden plot. It has limitations attached. I have posted details in the Projects section .

I await reports of your eventual purchase.

Ian
Ian

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:17 am

Thank you, Ian.

I still have time to give it some thought, of course. Your advice is always welcome.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:48 pm

HereticUK wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:17 am Thank you, Ian.

I still have time to give it some thought, of course. Your advice is always welcome.
The only advice I can offer of any value is not to rush. It took me 18 months to chose my locomotive. My next purchase has taken 12 months so far and I'm not 100% certain yet!

Ian
Ian

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:20 am

It's good to hear that I am not the only one who takes their time with these things! May I ask, what are you considering for your next purchase?

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:49 pm

HereticUK wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:20 am It's good to hear that I am not the only one who takes their time with these things! May I ask, what are you considering for your next purchase?
Of course you can ask. I have a short list of three engines.

1. A George/Mildred
2. A Katie
3. A Caradoc

I am looking for an 0-4-0 to use at some of the smaller railways I visit. That's what is driving my choice. It will be finished in Black with a red nameplate.

If I get either of the first two I'll probably go doen the kit building route. The Caradoc is now only available second hand, but I like the look of it.

Ian
Ian

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Sounds good to me! For the George\Mildred you may have no choice but to go down the kit route, since RH stopped producing finished locos last year (or the year before, don't remember). Caradoc is rather handsome, I do agree. I now somewhat regret that I never got hold of a John Sutton Meeting while I had the chance... The open-cabbed appearance really befits the overall Victorian theme that I am looking for.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:39 am

I'd almost forgotten your Victorian theme. What about a Millie with a spectacle plate or half cab? I think the Silver Lady dome looks very Victorian in appearance. I'll find a picture of what I have in mind for a spectacle plate and post it later.

You are correct about George/Mildred being only available as a kit. To my eyes it is an 0-4-0 version of the Lady Anne. When I bought my Lady Anne Katie was my second choice. I still like it but prefer side tanks to saddle tanks.

By coincidence, after I posted my short list of preferred locos I was offered a Caradoc. The Sellar isn't a forum member so doesn't know about my short list It's been heavily modified and detailed. The only issue I have with it is the colour and name. Both easily sorted. I will have a look at it and post pictures of it on here if I buy it.

Ian
Ian

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:04 pm

I was going to post a link to a picture of the spectacle plate I had in mind, but I just noticed the Millie already has one! Tag Gorton did an article on improving the Millie. Possibly in Garden Rail?

Would look good in Maroon, with gold lining and plenty of polished brass.

Ian
Ian

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:01 am

Wow, what a great coincidence about that Caradoc! I look forward to seeing more about it.

Millie was my first choice and has been for a number of years, but the slip-eccentric valve gear has put me off somewhat, since I really like a little more realism when I play with trains. That and it basically comes with nothing added - when I did some mathematics, a Millie with the additions required to make it up to spec with other models (water gauge, pressure gauge etc) it actually costs just as much if not a bit more than an Accucraft Ragleth. In my mind, it wasn't as economically viable.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:53 am

HereticUK wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:01 am Wow, what a great coincidence about that Caradoc! I look forward to seeing more about it.

Millie was my first choice and has been for a number of years, but the slip-eccentric valve gear has put me off somewhat, since I really like a little more realism when I play with trains. That and it basically comes with nothing added - when I did some mathematics, a Millie with the additions required to make it up to spec with other models (water gauge, pressure gauge etc) it actually costs just as much if not a bit more than an Accucraft Ragleth. In my mind, it wasn't as economically viable.
I am going to view the Caradoc today, so watch this space. I have seen it before the mods and pictures of it afterwards so I know what to expect. Just have one or two questions but I'll be taking the money ready to hand over!

I know what you mean about the cost of the add-ons. It is similar for the kit build Roundhouse locomotives. When I add in the cost of tools required and painting the saving isn't great, if any! Factor in a cost for time and it's better value to buy ready to run. Plus of course with Roundhouse it comes with a guarantee and already tested and run in on air. What about an Edrig, second hand? The only benefit I can see to a kit is the "I built that" factor. If the Caradoc I'm considering hadn't come up I'd have bought one second hand and changed it to suit my tastes.

Ian
Ian