G&DR

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

G&DR

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:02 pm

This is the first video of the newly commissioned Greumach & Devlin Railway. I'm playing around with Adobe Premier for a major Uni project so I thought I'd do some preliminary shooting and editing.

http://www.youtube.com/v/LmrbQiQ9j3w

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:00 pm

Great video, thanks for sharing.

Love the loco, looks like it has plenty of added extras and I love the coal train! Look forward to seeing your next video

:)
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:27 pm

An inertia wagon would help slow all that down and then have the loco gently puff around the oval in the sunshine...

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:35 pm

tom_tom_go:122948 wrote:An inertia wagon would help slow all that down and then have the loco gently puff around the oval in the sunshine...
An inertia wagon would be really good on this line. I have 4 of different types and I was about to list one for sale, sadly, all mine are 32mm gauge so won't be of any help.

There is a thread on here about building them with some great advice so you could have a go... one of mine is built into a coal wagon:

Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:40 pm

Thanks chaps - I have heard a tale of loco based slo-mo's inc the possibility of one designed for the Lady Anne - but from what I've heard it's based in Australia and I was planning on a whistle first before anything on my loco. If I had realised about them earlier I would have gotten myself a Katie and built a makeshift tender with one installed.

I might still have a pop at all like.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:42 pm

Lovely wagon btw

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:50 am

I really like all the private owner names on the wagons. I should do that on mine. I'm also going to copy the hand rails on your van.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:07 am

James from Devon:122949 wrote:
tom_tom_go:122948 wrote:An inertia wagon would help slow all that down and then have the loco gently puff around the oval in the sunshine...
An inertia wagon would be really good on this line. I have 4 of different types and I was about to list one for sale, sadly, all mine are 32mm gauge so won't be of any help.

There is a thread on here about building them with some great advice so you could have a go... one of mine is built into a coal wagon:

James - let me know when you are selling your inertia wagon - I maybe interested!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

steveh99
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steveh99 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:31 pm

A slomo makes all the diffrence.

Here's a video of my Lady Anne with one fitted:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcKMdWPWtsE[/video]

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:41 pm

Ahhhhh so you have the attractively slow Lady Anne.

Just for future reference where did your slomo come from and what was the coatings?

steveh99
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steveh99 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:59 am

Sylvian Tennant:123058 wrote:Ahhhhh so you have the attractively slow Lady Anne.

Just for future reference where did your slomo come from and what was the coatings?
I get them from SSP in Australia. They cost about £200 but vary with the exchange rate (not good at present) You might also get hit for import duty of around £50 but not consistent. Personally I would not run a loco without one and for a loco costing at £1500, its a price worth paying

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:23 pm

I've just fitted a Slomo to a Roundhouse Jack chassis, and here is a video of it running on air...
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:36 pm

The Lady Anne slomo is due sometime in March, I have been waiting ages for it to be released!

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:20 pm

I personally still take the point of view that I prefer the inertia device in a separate wagon. But there are pros and cons. You can however, build one very inexpensively, to play with while you save up for a real Slomo. I personally don't like hoe it's visible between the frames on four-wheeled engines, but on the Lady Anne it's back where the tanks would block your view of it for the most part.

Check out the lengthy thread on the subject of a cheap wagon-based device in "Rolling Stock" ... There are a few videos, I posted one of my "Billy" trundling around an oval in my basement, I think you'll agree it works quite well in a wagon. Tom's is even more impressive with his radio controlled engine.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:04 am

Here is the thread that Keith mentions:

http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/ftopic9667-0.php

And my unfinished wagon being tested:

https://youtu.be/3256Eu4k9pk

The benefits of having one is well worth the cheap price of a Zee Car!

Dasher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: G&DR

Post by Dasher » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:17 am

I don't seem to be able to get the link to open and a search hasn't turned it up (or I'm not looking for the right thing). I have watched the youtube link, found ZeCar on Amazon and keen to have a go - but not sure where to start. Any advice would be appreciated.
David

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:21 am

This is an old thread copied over from when the forum was hosted by myfreeforum.org so links may be broken.

Can you let me know what you are trying to view so I can fix the original post(s).

Dasher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re:

Post by Dasher » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi
I was trying to reach this thread - but I'm actually more interested in how you went about getting the Zee Car into a wagon. The whole concept of an inertia wagon is new to me. I'm aware of the SloMo product much much more interested in building a wagon based one. I'm happy to kick this off as a new thread if necessary.

David

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:04 am Here is the thread that Keith mentions:

http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/ftopic9667-0.php

And my unfinished wagon being tested:

The benefits of having one is well worth the cheap price of a Zee Car!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:00 pm

This thread covers many builds:

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... t=momentum

I have moved on to the SSP Slomo and it's far superior product without the need to have a dedicated wagon, you can light engine at a realistic speed as well.

Dasher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Dasher » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Thanks! - that was exactly what I was looking for. Zecar has been ordered although build up is low down the priority list!