REBIRTH OF FWLR

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

REBIRTH OF FWLR

Post by FWLR » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:43 am

Well it’s been a long process this house move and not a lot really has gone on with our line at the new address, this heatwave :sunny: isn’t helping either, far too hot for us to go out in the garden. Although Anne has done her Fairy Gardens, (yes she has 2 now) :D :D for which our line gets it’s name from.

I have done scratch building and also got myself a few additions to the rolling stock, plus a wooden bridge, that does require some fettling, but we are happy with it, just in the process now of laying it out before it is fixed. Not too permanently I may add, because has most of you know we rent, so it’s a case of having to make our line removable. Which is not ideal, because there are some very impressive line’s out there, Like,

RWLR,
VALE OF FAIRWAY,
PINE HILL,

And of course the excellent line of Peter Butler’s, there are so many you need to look at them yourself. I have been able to get out this last few days, because the sun has been hiding and it’s been a lot cooler.

Here are just a couple of photo’s of the build, hope they have your approval,
DSCN3579.JPG
DSCN3579.JPG (474.37 KiB) Viewed 6917 times
DSCN3580.JPG
DSCN3580.JPG (497.78 KiB) Viewed 6917 times
DSCN3581.JPG
DSCN3581.JPG (472.6 KiB) Viewed 6917 times
DSCN3583.JPG
DSCN3583.JPG (473.75 KiB) Viewed 6917 times
For some reason I can’t load one of the photos, funny really, because I have just taken this photos this morning…..strange….

Anyway, you can just see a point by the light in the last photo, that hopefully will be a branch off to Anne’s little Slate mine again, she does want to have her little Lister Loco on the line….

DSCN3585.JPG
DSCN3585.JPG (463.58 KiB) Viewed 6917 times

Well managed to load the photo of the track showing the point, but I still can’t load another one i have just took at the same time….very strange.

Still not worrying about that now, won’t be doing any more until the heat fades a bit, looking like it’s going to be hot again today
Last edited by FWLR on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Re: REBIRTH OF FWLR

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:41 am

Looking good Rod, like the fairy gardens. I'm under pressure to build something at the local playgroup where I'm Head of Finance and handyman!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:04 pm

Great start Rod and Anne, well done. Love the bridge but you might need to protect it against the wet, just in case it ever rains again!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Looks great.

Is the picture that won't load just over 500kB in file size? That might explain it.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:29 pm

Glad you are running trains again Rod, any kind of line will satisfy the live steam bug so it's better than nothing.

My railway was built in mind that it will need to be removed easily if and when we move house.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:05 am

The last picture is the one I took of all of them that morning. So I went out and took two more, one didn’t load again. So it’s not the file size, but not to worry, it will sort its self out.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:21 am

bazzer42 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:41 am Looking good Rod, like the fairy gardens. I'm under pressure to build something at the local playgroup where I'm Head of Finance and handyman!
Well, Derek, after looking at the photos I took, Anne wasn’t to pleased that the Gnomes toilet was on its side and I hadn’t took a photo of the other garden as well, even though it is waiting for some Fairy’s to occupy it…. :lol:

So here are a couple more of them, the logs are from my older brother, who cut them for me for our other garden, for stepping stones because on one side of the garden was extremely wet, but we used those rubber sleeper things we bought from a Homebase that was closing down in Southport.

Hope you like them…
DSCN3586.JPG
DSCN3586.JPG (487.87 KiB) Viewed 6857 times
DSCN3587.JPG
DSCN3587.JPG (474.94 KiB) Viewed 6857 times
DSCN3588.JPG
DSCN3588.JPG (476.43 KiB) Viewed 6857 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:37 am

Don’t know if you have looked at the thread on Llanfair, but I am just wanting to let you know again how excited we are to be going to the show this September. We can’t wait to be having a little run out and possibly get to go on the Welshpool line has well as going to the show and hopefully seeing lots of friends I have made on the forum, I am especially hoping to see Peter Butler, because he is the person I bought my RH Billy off and from which I have had so much enjoyment and also because of buying it from him, I was able to go to steam ups and make even more friends.

Also Derek, aka bazzer42 if he is going, because without he’s enthusiasm on FB and he’s helpful and friendly advice I got from him, I maybe wouldn’t have got into 16mm has I have.

There are loads more members and others like ge_rik, lonsdaler, phillipy, people from the 16mm association groups I am in.

So it will be an exciting weekend we are looking forward to.

:wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav:

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:45 am

Great progress rod! hope to see more soon.
Mitch.
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:13 am

Thanks for all your kind words Rod, I am grateful and pleased you are enjoying your new found hobby. I will be at the Llanfair exhibition and will contact you personally with details. Looking forward to meeting you both too, as well as other Forum members.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:23 pm

Great to see you've made a start already, Rod. I'm sure you'll have your first train up and running in no time.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:08 pm

Llanfair is sounding like a family outing so perhaps I will make a bigger effort this year but something usually gets In the way. Being semi retired with two grandsons doesn't help especially when you see them more than your working wife....sore point

I know I have logs waiting for me at playgroup so thanks for more pictures Rod. Once the garden bug bites don't think it ever leaves completely. I may get a winter wane but enjoying it now.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:28 am

I know what you mean Derek about the grandsons, but with ours we don’t see them much nowadays. :(

You are correct about it looking like a Family outing too, I feel like you all are family in a way… :) :)

Just Julie
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Just Julie » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:23 pm

Brilliant that you are now back on track, and the fairy's now have a new garden. Love it :sunny:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:51 pm

Good to see that you've been able to make a start on your railway so soon after moving in. At this rate you'll soon have trains running again.

Ian
Ian

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:13 pm

IanC wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:51 pm Good to see that you've been able to make a start on your railway so soon after moving in. At this rate you'll soon have trains running again.
Yes, can't be long now! Congratulations on such rapid progress...

All the best,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:41 am

Felt I needed to post this photo so you can get some idea on how far I got before my unwanted visit to the hospital this last week.
DSCN3591.JPG
DSCN3591.JPG (473.83 KiB) Viewed 6271 times
At the top end of the garden, it is only going to be about 5’’ high, mainly because the garden going to the back of the house is roughly about 12 to 18 inches lower. If I had the top end of the line at waist height, by the time it got to the back doors, we would need a step ladder to see anything….well not that high. :lol: :lol:

But until i get some R&R the track laying has to stop. But I am able to do my wagons and the little battery loco I have now. So I will post an update on them when they are finished.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:42 am

A temporary pause Rod, that's all. Taking inspiration from your track laying I might put down some some temporary track in my garden to get things up and running. I can rebuild sections on a more permanent basis over time. At least that way might be the way to get somewhere that I can run trains when I like.

Ian
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:56 am

You can Ian, it’s a simple step to take, because if it doesn’t look right you can then alter it to suit has it starts to grow. :thumbright:

And like you say, you can run trains whenever you want to. :thumbright:

It saves you fuel money too….I’am not a tight person honestly….. :roll: :roll:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:01 pm

Well, with the help from a Son-in-Law, the line is now completed to a point.

DSCN3611.JPG
DSCN3611.JPG (488.95 KiB) Viewed 6180 times

Has you can see, it does need tidying up a bit. The Son-in-law did this while I was making some visits to the Hospital for some short stays. I thought he did a great job, seeing has he hasn’t attempted anything like this before.

I helped with the bridge part of the track and with his help, we layed the track and Anne ran her Tram around it, while I was on a visit. I will get her to let me have a copy of the video she took.

DSCN3610.JPG
DSCN3610.JPG (479.4 KiB) Viewed 6180 times

This is the completed top end of the line.
DSCN3612.JPG
DSCN3612.JPG (481.18 KiB) Viewed 6180 times

In due course, I will put Anne’s Slate Mine by the top end of the fish pond and also there will be some more track to be laid too. I haven’t made my mind up yet has to what I will, but I have some idea of what I will be putting on it.

But that is all in the future, Anne wants me to at least get myself a bit more stable with this flipping heart of mine, so I am only going to be doing some building and some more rolling stock. I do have someone making me a few slate wagons, so when they arrive I will post some photos and possibly a video of “Patricia Anne” pulling some stock also.