My Proposed Railway

What is your latest project?
IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: My Proposed Railway

Post by IanC » Tue May 15, 2018 10:26 am

ge_rik wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:25 am
tom_tom_go wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:28 pm Cannot recommend enough having a continuous loop, I do end to end running because of space and that's the only reason.
One of the advantages of a continuous loop
https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 24&t=11829

Rik
Thank you Rik. Yes for me a continuous loop is essential. Mine will be larger than I have drawn in my plan and it will not be a simple circle. There is scope for a lot of line on the lawn so I'm not sure yet what the final shape will be. I'll hide the line in places with planting and buildings to disguise the loop.

Ian
Ian

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue May 15, 2018 10:35 am

I am going to start stockpiling breeze blocks. My local builders merchant have some of the lightweight ones in so I will make a trip out today and get some in the car. Not too many as I don't want to overload it. I don't have enough space to store all I'll need in one go anyway.

DPC and chippings are already in stock. The next steps for me are:-

1. Decide on the traffic the line will carry so I can incorporate the necessary sidings and facilities.
2. Design the two terminii once I have settled on 1.
3. Purchase sufficient track and points to start on the terminus on the lawn. (I can sit in the house and look at this so it will hopefully keep me motivated).

I'll try and sit down this evening and sort out a name for the railway and the stations so it will have an identity.

Ian
Ian

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue May 15, 2018 8:41 pm

Looking forward to your progress. Another line is born.a tip for laying your blocks give them a coat of waterd down PVA on the sides you are laying on it will help them stick to the cement

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed May 16, 2018 10:42 am

jim@NAL wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:41 pm Looking forward to your progress. Another line is born.a tip for laying your blocks give them a coat of waterd down PVA on the sides you are laying on it will help them stick to the cement
Thanks for the tip Jim.

You may be a little premature in announcing the birth of another railway. It's still very much in planning and any construction work is a long way off yet. Several months at the earliest unless there is a change of my circumstances. Work, family and my East Lancashire Railway commitments will mean not a lot of time for building. Not to mention I am doing some fundraising work for Bloodwise and MacMillan Cancer Support and have some 4mm scale commissions to complete. Still it gives me something to do between everything else and an objective to work towards, however distant.

I will carry on acquiring materials and building stock meanwhile.

Ian
Ian

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 16, 2018 12:54 pm

IanC wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:35 am I am going to start stockpiling breeze blocks. My local builders merchant have some of the lightweight ones in so I will make a trip out today and get some in the car. Not too many as I don't want to overload it. I don't have enough space to store all I'll need in one go anyway.

DPC and chippings are already in stock. The next steps for me are:-

1. Decide on the traffic the line will carry so I can incorporate the necessary sidings and facilities.
2. Design the two terminii once I have settled on 1.
3. Purchase sufficient track and points to start on the terminus on the lawn. (I can sit in the house and look at this so it will hopefully keep me motivated).

I'll try and sit down this evening and sort out a name for the railway and the stations so it will have an identity.

Ian
Sounds like a really good plan, Ian. I don't think you'll need much motivation once you get started. These things tend to generate their own impetus, I find.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed May 16, 2018 5:05 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:54 pm
Sounds like a really good plan, Ian. I don't think you'll need much motivation once you get started. These things tend to generate their own impetus, I find.

Rik
I don't think motivation will be my biggest challenge. I suspect it's going to be time. I'm having a day out tomorrow, Thursday. My locomotive is visiting a local line. I will also be at the West Lancs Teddy Bears Picnic on 2th May. In between that there's work and a day out with my Granddaughter (who my locomotive is named after). Then sadly a week at work.

Ian
Ian

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed May 16, 2018 10:00 pm

I think my railway will be called the Westbrook Light Railway. (LWR) Westbrook is an area roughly mid way between the two possible terminii I have in mind. Winwick/Winwick Quay and either Burtonwood, or Sankey/Sankey Bridges.

westbrook crest yellow shield 160px.jpg
westbrook crest yellow shield 160px.jpg (25 KiB) Viewed 5401 times

I haven't had time to think about the type of traffic yet which will help determine station and siding requirements. Obviously all subject to space. I've a busy period ahead. I have to detail and paint a 4mm scale mess van for an exhibition which is just over a week away. A lot still to do on it and a busy weekend ahead which includes helping at the West Lancs Railway so time is going to be scarce.

Ian
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu May 17, 2018 6:27 am

Looks like a good plan Ian, the end to end plus loop is good, pretty much like my line is/was. I have/had a steaming up area at the bottom of the garden leading to the loop and then branching off with two lines to the station.

The loop was like a strawberry shape if you can picture it. Have a look at my line and you may get the idea. :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 17, 2018 6:49 am

Great looking crest, Ian.
Lovely little railway, the West Lancs. Must pop over there again sometime. Be interested to see how it's developed since my last visit in 2012 - http://ngruk.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/wes ... ilway.html

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu May 17, 2018 7:07 am

Agree there Rik.

I would use that Ian for your Avatar. :thumbright:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri May 18, 2018 9:16 am

Thank you Rik and Rod.

I don't think I will be changing my avatar. The one I have has been my unique avatar for quite some time now. My granddaughter would be upset if I were to change it. It is a crop from a face that was on a balloon at her fourth birthday party. My Lady Anne, as has been mentioned elsewhere on here, is named after her.

Ian
Ian

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon May 28, 2018 8:39 am

Nothing much to report. An unexpected change of plans for the weekend has given me a small window to do some more thinking. I have a couple of layouts in mind for the stations and had another play around with AnyRail so getting the hang of it for planning.

I'm going to use PECO track so downloaded the templates from their website. If the weather stays fine I'm going to go out in the garden with the templates and some lengths of flexitrack and do some measuring followed by laying out the track and templates to see how it might look.

The next step will be to draw them in AnyRail.

Ian
Ian

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon May 28, 2018 8:51 am

When I started out I used Anyrail Peco track pieces printed out 1:1 scale and stuck them to cupboard.

If you can't print out bigger than A4 do it over two pages and join them together on one piece of cupboard.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:17 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:49 am Great looking crest, Ian.
Lovely little railway, the West Lancs. Must pop over there again sometime. Be interested to see how it's developed since my last visit in 2012 - http://ngruk.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/wes ... ilway.html

Rik
Rik,

Apologies for not replying to this. Whilst I am not connected to the West Lancs I am an occasional visitor. As far as I can see there have been no major developments since your visit in 2012.

Ian
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:17 am

Hi Rik, living 10 minutes away, I am a regular visitor to the West Lancs and it hasn’t changed much at all.

But it’s a great little line and even though it doesn’t have the facilities to do anything more, it is well worth a visit. And like most other lines, it does rely on donations to keep on going, but somehow it does put on some great events. :thumbright: :thumbright:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:50 pm

My plans for a railway in my garden are on hold, pending a possible change of circumstances. I am contemplating building some modular boards to the association standards until I can resume planning, or shelve the idea of a garden railway.

Ian
Ian

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:10 pm

Oh, not good news. :( Modular boards could keep you modelling until circumstances change. You can still take something to run at local meetings etc..

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:37 am

Bad news Ian. An alternative could be a large scale layout on a small. Look up Woolacombe if you have a moment. A clever modeller, his Norwegian harbour in snow layout is another classic.
Good luck.

Vestvagoy is the Norwegian. A pleasant read on rmweb

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:40 am

IanC wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:50 pm I am contemplating building some modular boards to the association standards until I can resume planning, or shelve the idea of a garden railway.
Option A gets my vote...

Sorry to hear of your change of plan, hope things look up soon.

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:17 am

Sorry to hear you are thinking of not doing a line for the garden Ian, but don’t get to involved with making modular boards at the moment mate. It would be nice for us to meet up again soon mate, maybe you and I could work together on a board for the little exhibition I am hoping to hold in the near future.

But for now keep doing what you are doing Ian….. :thumbright: