Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:18 pm

When one reads texts describing valve gear setting by many published "designers" I cannot help but think their descriptions are vague and brief. An easy to follow detailed described method that is in a logical sequence seems to be lacking ATMCO. (according to my current opinion)
One text says, "clamp the expansion link" No mention how you clamp it, considering it's size and shape and allowing the radius rod to move and be able to check measure the eccentric rod centres.
Any how I gave it some thought and then made an adjustable clamp last night for the expansion link so I can check the eccentric rod length that should be 46.08mm as per the drawing if the stars and planets align.
I will see if this clamp works as intended tonight.

Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:57 pm

The clamp worked a treat. I intend to make an adjustable Eccentric rod to get the between centres dimension with more accuracy then fumbling with verniers with attached points and or dividers. Using dividers is fraught with peril ATMCO.
I did some chicken scratching drawings for this device but as much as I want to get stuck into making this tomorrow, I am off tomorrow to do some diesel driver training at the Mary Valley Rattler.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:22 pm

Sorting back and front dead centres

Adjustable eccentric rod in action. It seemed to work OK.

Measured then taken to the mill and DRO.
My eccentric crank (return) seemed to be running on a bigger radius than the drawings, was to be 7.57mm but I have 7.90mm and the eccentric rod length is + .10mm than the drawing. I had allowed for the eccentric rod inclination in the crank setting. I will go with this and see how it all goes.
The left hand side eccentric rod is underway. Getting closer to a test run on air.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:29 am

Looking good Dazza, if the eccentric rod is working then thats all that matters hey…. :thumbright: :thumbright:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Looking forward to you getting this on air.

Any chance of a video of it running on your bench when you do please?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:37 pm

I will do the video thing, when the time comes to test on air.

The left hand eccentric rod is underway.
Making yet another set of filing buttons last night.

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:43 am

I'm glad to see that you are not afraid of using some of the older techniques in engineering, i.e. chain hole drilling and hacksawing. So often we see in magazines and videos fantastic milling set ups that must take ages to arrange, when 5 minutes with a hacksaw and file will achieve exactly the same results. Keep up the good work and I too am looking forward to seeing this run on air.
Phil

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:26 pm

pandsrowe wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:43 am I'm glad to see that you are not afraid of using some of the older techniques in engineering, i.e. chain hole drilling and hacksawing. So often we see in magazines and videos fantastic milling set ups that must take ages to arrange, when 5 minutes with a hacksaw and file will achieve exactly the same results. Keep up the good work and I too am looking forward to seeing this run on air.
Lean in closer to the screen, closer, so no one can hear.
I chain drilled and cut out the excess, a wee file to bring the edge down to the holes and then I placed the embryo rod in the mill and I trimmed the final edge/surface between the plotted drilled holes in the corners with a 1/2" Sutton Unimill cutter and then I used a file and 8mm diameter filing buttons I finished last night and hardened right out. Tonight will be some finish filing and sanding.

Page one of this thread has pics of me using the mill with the coupling rods on a backing and using the mill, DRO to plot the paths. With the Con and Eccentric rods my slightly different approach was due to the tapered edge. A rotary table would be too much work for zero gain with these small parts.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:59 pm

Sanded off the left hand E-rod and made its bush. That is all I got done last night.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:05 am

It's more than I did! I just played trains and now have a servo issue to resolve.

Ian
Ian

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:18 pm

Theses rods visited my drive way this week on the back of a mate's work ute, They are a wee bit bigger than my choo choo rods.

They are the rods of the #967 rebuild for the Marry Valley Rattler.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:23 pm

From Myford to Cowells, making more pins for the little choo choo
I seem to making incremental steps to getting to the air stage.

" Get the Cherry Red out and case harden these little fellas, off you go lads"

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:28 pm

We are looking forward to the air test.

Unlucky today in the World Cup, it's been entertaining so far!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:33 am

Those rod’s are slightly bigger :D

I thought the socceroos were going to win it....

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:23 am

FWLR wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:33 am Those rod’s are slightly bigger :D

I thought the socceroos were going to win it....
I am with Mr Martin. I follow zero sport now, even the cycling is just a passing interest despite it being a big part of my life. If I am making dinner and the TDF is on I will watch it while I cook, but I do not do out of my way for sport. I will listen to the Test Cricket on the radio, Regards all the codes of football, nah, I trying to make little choo choos and play with the big choo choos which demands more time than I can muster.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:44 pm

I have always liked Guy Martin and now I know why..... my feelings about football too!
They should all get a proper job.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:52 pm

Guy has clearly had too many bike accidents as he cannot count.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:57 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:52 pm Guy has clearly had too many bike accidents as he cannot count.
If you mean there are more players than that I wouldn't know anyway!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:40 am

Now guys, sport is sport and whoever they are, footballers, tennis players, athlete's, golfers, cricketers. Are all overpaid namby pamby spoilt people who entertain millions of people around the world, not all of them, if any, know anything about our hobby. If they started to slate our hobby we would be the first to defend it, so come on lets just get on with the fact there is a rather big sporting event going on at the moment, being watched by millions of people who love the sport.

Don’t mean to Hi-jack your thread Dazza….. :thumbup: :thumbup:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:41 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:44 pm I have always liked Guy Martin and now I know why.....
Anne loves him too Peter…. :( :lol: :lol: