Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: Llewellyn Loco Works #1

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:39 am

daan wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:35 am Yes please, I would love to see the bikes too.. :D I have a small concearn about the servo though. On all my locomotives, the place where that servo is, is the nastiest, greasiest and dirtiest place of the whole locomotive. Steamoil, hot watercondensate and grease from the smokebox drip down here, and your servo will be out of order within a few driving sessions. You'll need to shield it somehow against the muck coming from above.

The other thing is the tight fit between the cross head and the combination lever you mentionned. When you've driven the locomotive a few times, the joints wear in and the combination lever slacks a bit more. What now is a slight rub, will be a punch later on. The lever is fixed to the valverod above and a 2 part joint on the underside. The valverod doesn't keep the lever in position, because it pivots. The position is kept by the 2 joints fixed to the cross head, which now have 0 play, because it is not run in yet. After a while, these 2 joints will loosen up a little bit, causing serious play on the combination lever.

I would offer the cosmetic bolts, it's the easiest way to be safe. You only need a jam at speed to ruin the combination lever..
Bikes, I escape the bikes to enjoy model engineering, I put bike stuff on my my Facebook page. Facebook is only for my work. https://www.facebook.com/darrell.mcculloch
I am flattered by the interest with my bike making work, however I am reluctant to bring that into my other worlds of relaxation and escape.
All good points about the servo. I had thought along the same direction, I decided to leave the protection solution to later when I have the cylinder plumbing made so I devise a protective box to surround it and with a rubber worm that goes over the linkage as it exits the box. (using some bike parts) I am trying to not clutter the foot plate with all the servos. I also got a water proof servo but I am not putting my faith in that. I am unsure of the Wilson drain design. I cannot see how they will not dribble a lot. I will not be surprised that after a while I will seal them up with Loctite and forget they ever existed. I also have to machine the valve more to ensure there is more lift clearance of the valve for condensation. etc, if the drains do not cope or work. Also yes regards to the cosmetic bolt heads. Brian Wilson has these in his book and when I did the CAD drawings I saw that would be tight. Last night when I saw how tight they were I was tired and went to bed, thinking I might be removing them because as you say, when it all starts to rattle and knock.......................... All of this is in the context I have never seen a 16mm loco in steam in real life. Never. I know there are mobs local but I will never get much time to devote as I am also involved with full size when I can manage the time.
To every one, keep the ideas, thoughts and comments coming, they are most welcome, it all adds to to me learning more and new stuff.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:03 am

I believe this one is going to be coal fired so the servo location is fine as the smokebox will be sealed unlike on a gas loco.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:00 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:03 am I believe this one is going to be coal fired so the servo location is fine as the smokebox will be sealed unlike on a gas loco.
Yes that is correct coal fired because I want the all the senses stimulated. I also will be fixing the boiler and smoke box to the frames and the expansion will be at the fire box end as in full size. So the smoke box will be and front foot plate will be sealed. I am off to contemplate the tender drawings, and that is being stimulated by photos and a GA works drawing of Burma Railways #9
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:03 am

I am enjoying this build, even though it is way beyond my ability and expertise. However what I like is the fact that as much as possible it is following full sized loco practices.

I am involved in the preservation world too as a hobby and one of the reasons for me owning a steam locomotive is it is much more real than running the electric mice that so many do.

Whilst my loco is freestyle in appearance and gas fired I do like to operate it and maintain it as close to prototype practice as possible.

Enjoy your break with the bikes.

Ian
Ian

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed May 23, 2018 7:07 am

On Saturday I did a wee bit of cleaning work on some full size WHB Duplex and steam pressure Loco gauges before they go off to calibration. This would qualify it for Live Steam here eh! :scratch:
These are for Queensland railways Class C17 #967 which is being rebuilt in Gympie for the Mary Valley Rattler Railway and has a new all welded boiler.
This Saturday I hope to have a bit of training time on #974 which is on lean to the Mary Valley Rattler Railway from the Queensland Heritage Railway Workshops.
The Mary Valley qualifies as a garden as well :-)
I might have some brass boiler bands to clean up soon.

I could not get the daily face any better

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Wed May 23, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed May 23, 2018 10:09 am

Come on now..... you've been out and bought new ones, haven't you?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed May 23, 2018 10:10 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:09 am Come on now..... you've been out and bought new ones, haven't you?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu May 24, 2018 7:19 am

Red room, our toolroom was called “The Blue Room”….mainly because a couple of the guys were members of the local Railway Club, that had a room for committee members only which was called “The Blue Room”. :) :)

I joined when my parents asked me to go with them for a drink…..couldn’t believe how cheap the drinks were then! :D :D :D

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat May 26, 2018 10:37 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:19 am Red room, our toolroom was called “The Blue Room”….mainly because a couple of the guys were members of the local Railway Club, that had a room for committee members only which was called “The Blue Room”. :) :)

I joined when my parents asked me to go with them for a drink…..couldn’t believe how cheap the drinks were then! :D :D :D
There is a "Blue Room" here as well, but only for work. :(

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat May 26, 2018 10:56 pm

Yesterday was one of those Saturdays that one is grateful to have a heart beat.
Hand on Steam with #974
and what made it so special was being with a very good crew of trainee mates and a good tutor who goes by the name of Adrian.
I have done a wee bit of firing before (nothing that be could called remotely proficient) and it was nice to to get it down the front of the 8" long grate, after a wee bit of practice and not hook it all to the left or make too much of Turkey's nest in the middle. A long way to go but.............
Also got a wee drive up and down the Gympie yard, a first for me.

Morning Sun

Oiling up

On the table

Backing up the table road.

The 2000 Class Railmotors waiting, for the branch to be opened and trips with happy families. These have Rolls Royce Engines.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat May 26, 2018 11:06 pm

A great day and good to have some time for yourself.... I bet you heart beat just a little bit faster!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sat May 26, 2018 11:38 pm

Nice loco's! I can imagine that it needs some practice to keep a fire going in these kind of machines..
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sat May 26, 2018 11:50 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:56 pm
I have done a wee bit of firing before (nothing that be could called remotely proficient) and it was nice to to get it down the front of the 8" long grate, after a wee bit of practice and not hook it all to the left or make too much of Turkey's nest in the middle. A long way to go but.............
It all comes with practice. It soon becomes second nature. Wide fireboxes are the hardest to master. LNER engines can be difficult to fire through the "cat flap", especially if they have a long narrow firebox.

It's a fantastic feeling though when it all goes well and you have a good mate on the footplate. Days don't come much better. :D

Ian
Ian

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun May 27, 2018 3:46 am

IanC wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:50 pm
It all comes with practice. It soon becomes second nature. Wide fireboxes are the hardest to master. LNER engines can be difficult to fire through the "cat flap", especially if they have a long narrow firebox.

It's a fantastic feeling though when it all goes well and you have a good mate on the footplate. Days don't come much better. :D

Ian
Ian , yes, it is great day when you have a good team on the loco and train. The 2 hour drive home after the day is one of reflections of the things that went well or adjustments needed and also the things learnt during the day. Last night it was home for Salmon, home made chips and peas and two glasses of red grape juice to cap it all off. One lives for those days, the other days you have just got to get them over and done with and get on with tomorrow. It is not long now till the Mary Valley Rattler starts operations down the 20km branch. Just waiting on the track to be signed off and we can start learning the road etc. If all goes well, July! :P

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun May 27, 2018 3:52 am

daan wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:38 pm Nice loco's! I can imagine that it needs some practice to keep a fire going in these kind of machines..
The hard bit is bouncing along on the rough branch line track and getting the swing right, the technique so the coal just flies off the shovel through the fire hole and lands where you want it on demand, 8 feet away. I am yet to master this, but I just need more time firing. By the time I have put 50 to 100 tons onto the grate I hope my driver will no longer laugh or frown down upon me. :oops:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sun May 27, 2018 9:31 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 3:46 am
IanC wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:50 pm

Ian
Ian , yes, it is great day when you have a good team on the loco and train. The 2 hour drive home after the day is one of reflections of the things that went well or adjustments needed and also the things learnt during the day. Last night it was home for Salmon, home made chips and peas and two glasses of red grape juice to cap it all off. One lives for those days, the other days you have just got to get them over and done with and get on with tomorrow. It is not long now till the Mary Valley Rattler starts operations down the 20km branch. Just waiting on the track to be signed off and we can start learning the road etc. If all goes well, July! :P
It will happen. Dazza. I have had 15 years now on the footplate, and a lot of trips with many engines and drivers. Every one different. The best drivers are the ex BR ones. When you did things daily, as they did, then everything becomes easy and second nature. Experience and practice are invaluable. The bad days are just as valuable from a learning point of view as the good ones.

Ian
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon May 28, 2018 6:19 am

Just enjoy the moment of having been on the footplate and driving it, even if it was only a little bit, it looked like you had brilliant day….. :thumbright: :thumbright:

It’s a brilliant looking loco too…… :thumbright: :thumbright:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:17 am

Made a temporary reverser stand and completed the reach rod and pins. I am using this to confirm the eccentric rod lengths. Working on the eccentric rod drawings now.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:56 am

You get close to testing now.. really close.. Do you make a filmclip of the test please? I am very curious on the way it works.. If as smooth as it looks it will be a treat! :D
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:14 pm

daan wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:56 am You get close to testing now.. really close.. Do you make a filmclip of the test please? I am very curious on the way it works.. If as smooth as it looks it will be a treat! :D

Yes, getting closer, I am anxious and nervous and I have fears that it all will go bad. I did a lot of redesigning of the valve gear geo. I will take a video when the day comes. I am going to be pulled away some weekends now as the Mary Valley Rattler restarts. If the track is signed off we might be doing light engine trips in the Diesel to learn the 20kms. Exciting times in the Red Room and on the 12" to the foot railway.