Peckforton sawmill

What is your latest project?
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Peckforton sawmill

Post by FWLR » Tue May 22, 2018 9:05 am

ge_rik wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:09 am
Peter Butler wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:30 pm I love the atmosphere you have created with the sawdust..... with the roof on and shadows forming from sunlight passing through the open sides it will be spot on.
Thanks Peter. Just the impression I'm seeking to create. :)

Rik
Two of the best Modellers on the forum here. Peter and Rik.

Love all of the work you have done on the sawmill Rik, just superb :thumbleft: :thumbleft: :thumbleft:

Don’t want to show my effort of the crane on a wagon now. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Tue May 22, 2018 9:20 am

There's not much else I can add to everyone else's comments and praise, you really have excelled yourself this time Rik. You have put so much effort into creating just the right balance of detail and realism, to hell with what the purists may say. It is a shame that so much of it won't be seen once the roof is on and presumably from a normal viewing position but as you say, 'you know'.
Phil

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 22, 2018 12:03 pm

pandsrowe wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:20 am It is a shame that so much of it won't be seen once the roof is on and presumably from a normal viewing position but as you say, 'you know'.
Thanks Phil
I'm thinking of installing some lighting so the interior might be a bit more visible. But as you say, I'll know it's there. :)

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue May 22, 2018 12:05 pm

That would be really effective Rik. Go on you know you want to do it. :thumbright: :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 26, 2018 3:55 pm

Latest progress
I've been steadily slogging away at sorting out the gantry crane for the sawmill - and here's where I'm up to ......

The main components of the crane are now in place and (thank goodness) it seems to fit the intended site.
IMG_7764.JPG
IMG_7764.JPG (144.63 KiB) Viewed 5223 times

I've made a start on landscaping the area to accommodate the new structure. A bit of fine tuning now required to make sure all the legs actually touch the ground! :?
IMG_7766.JPG
IMG_7766.JPG (155.44 KiB) Viewed 5223 times

The design was drawn from some images on the web - though (as always) trying to make something appropriate for the 1930s requires a certain amount of reverse thinking. Mine is manually powered rather than electrically (or hydraulically) driven - from a time when manpower was relatively cheap.
IMG_7769.JPG
IMG_7769.JPG (140.96 KiB) Viewed 5223 times

As always, there is plenty still to do - the trackway for the saw trolley needs to be extended outwards and some sort of loading dock will be built to hold the logs. My first attempt at making a scissor grab for the logs was OK, but too small. And of course it all needs painting and weathering - as does the surrounding landscape. Oh, and I also need to make a boiler house and coal store!
IMG_7771.JPG
IMG_7771.JPG (148.19 KiB) Viewed 5223 times

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat May 26, 2018 4:15 pm

This definitely requires more than a "Like" button in response!

Superb Rik, as always.
Philip

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sat May 26, 2018 4:28 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 3:55 pm Oh, and I also need to make a boiler house and coal store!
Looks impressive. should blend in nicely with the existing structure once weathered.

I had wondered about the boiler, as I couldn't see one in the mill interior shots. Does it need a coal store though?

Sawmills generate a lot of waste wood and sawdust which needs to be disposed of somehow. Which is why antipodean mills were always wood fired until well after WW2, as waste wood cost nothing.

Regards,
Graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 26, 2018 4:32 pm

GTB wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:28 pm I had wondered about the boiler, as I couldn't see one in the mill interior shots. Does it need a coal store though?

Sawmills generate a lot of waste wood and sawdust which needs to be disposed of somehow. Which is why antipodean mills were always wood fired until well after WW2, as waste wood cost nothing.

Regards,
Graeme
Of course! Why burn coal when there's a ready supply of wood available! Duh...!!!!.... :roll: For "coal store", substitute "wood pile"!

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat May 26, 2018 8:38 pm

Excellent work Rik, the whole scene is coming together very nicely and will make absolutely perfect sense when complete.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat May 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Very envious of your dedication Rik.

Maybe when I am retired I can aspire to such work!

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun May 27, 2018 12:44 am

Looking great some good woodworking skills building that

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:34 am

That looks fantastic and have to agree with Jim that it is a fine piece of woodworking. How are you cutting your angles? Chop saw or by hand?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 27, 2018 8:52 am

bazzer42 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:34 am How are you cutting your angles? Chop saw or by hand?
All done by hand with a razor saw. I have tried using a mitre block, but find doing it by eye easier (though sometimes I need to make 'adjustments' with a piece of sandpaper).

Rik
------------------------

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun May 27, 2018 9:54 am

Cor blimey Rik,
This just keeps getting better. I hope once finished you won't be leaving it outside subject to the weather? It would be such a shame for all that woodwork to be ravaged by Mother Nature :D
As for the boiler - you'll need to sweep all those sawdust piles up for fuel now :lol:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun May 27, 2018 10:23 am

I use a razor saw as well and then I square up on my bench disc sander (cheap one, but works well).

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon May 28, 2018 5:52 am

I am so impressed with this Rik….it’s looks so real and your workmanship is to be admired….Superb :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 28, 2018 6:42 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:54 am .... I hope once finished you won't be leaving it outside subject to the weather? It would be such a shame for all that woodwork to be ravaged by Mother Nature :D
As for the boiler - you'll need to sweep all those sawdust piles up for fuel now :lol:
No, it'll be stored inside, along with the sawmill building and be deployed during operating sessions. Trouble is, I'm running out of storage space. Might need to make some cupboards under the raised section, like Greg's.

I could always build a chipboard factory, I suppose .... :shock: :?

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 28, 2018 6:48 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:23 am I use a razor saw as well and then I square up on my bench disc sander (cheap one, but works well).
Nice idea, Tom. Looks like something for the Christmas list. Just ordered a sanding disk attachment for my mini drill in the meantime.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 28, 2018 7:01 am

FWLR wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 5:52 am I am so impressed with this Rik….it looks so real .....
Thanks Rod. I wanted to make something which was feasible for the 1930s but, apart from a picture about half way down this web page - http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/9-loads/11-crane.htm - there was very little info and so I've had to use a bit of modellers' licence and a bit of common sense.

I'm sure this website is familiar to most modellers on this forum, but just in case anyone has missed it it is a mine of information about freight handling.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/index.htm#loads

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon May 28, 2018 7:21 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:01 am
FWLR wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 5:52 am I am so impressed with this Rik….it looks so real .....
Thanks Rod. I wanted to make something which was feasible for the 1930s but, apart from a picture about half way down this web page - http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/9-loads/11-crane.htm - there was very little info and so I've had to use a bit of modellers' licence and a bit of common sense.

Rik
Thanks Rik. I have nearly completed a crane myself. Seeing on that website is something I have done with mine that kind of popped into my head… :idea:

I will show some photo’s of it when I have decided on what wagon I am going to put it on.