Peckforton sawmill

What is your latest project?
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Peckforton sawmill

Post by FWLR » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:34 pm

So right there Ian, too much sometimes pondering about if it is correct. But I think the members are just trying to find out more about it.

And yes Rik’s models are fantastic, has are a lot of members builds. Just wish I was one of them :lol: :lol:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:27 am

Not quite sure where this discussion is going but to clarify, my modelling philosophy is to make representations of things which would have been around in the 1930s. Because the timeframe and the hypothetical location for my railway are quite specific, I find that I often have to bash existing models or scratchbuild to make stuff which is appropriate. My modelling skills, techniques and resources are fairly basic. In my blog I hope to show that anyone with a bit of nouse, a modicum of patience and a few basic tools can produce reasonably passable models. I also take pride in doing things on the cheap, by making use of readily accessible materials, recycled junk and low cost bits and pieces (eg from the 50p shop).

I inevitably have to make comprises. Sometimes, I can't find definitive or accurate information on items and practices relevant to the period. Sometimes, my levels of competence, knowledge or problem solving capabilities are not up to task in hand and so my models are not up to a standard which bears close scrutiny (particularly on camera). However, on summer evenings, as I sit back in my deckchair and half close my eyes, my imagination transports me back to a time before I was born as a train slowly chuffs past.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:23 am

However, on summer evenings, as I sit back in my deckchair and half close my eyes, my imagination transports me back to a time before I was born as a train slowly chuffs past.

Rik
[/quote]

My imagination is always in a distance Rik…so Anne keeps on telling me… :lol: :lol:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 21, 2018 2:30 pm

It's been a couple of months since I posted anything about progress on the sawmill - a few other things have got in the way - eg India, couplings, life, etc. However, I decided over the weekend that I needed to press on with it. Here's where I'm up to.

The interior is now more or less finished.
IMG_7629.JPG
IMG_7629.JPG (156.54 KiB) Viewed 6301 times

The machinery is done. Including the horizontal mill engine which is a much-modified model of a beam engine (ex Airfix, I think) which I picked up at a sawpmeet for a fiver. OK, purists will throw up their hands in horror, but it gives the impression of a mill engine - which is what I am after.
IMG_7619.JPG
IMG_7619.JPG (148.03 KiB) Viewed 6301 times

The headsaws are in place - various oddments from the local 50p shop pressed into service. Again, not a true representation of any specific prototype, just an interpretation drawn from various photos.
IMG_7625.JPG
IMG_7625.JPG (153.66 KiB) Viewed 6301 times

There is a logic to the placement of the various bits of machinery, so that the flitches from the headsaw are then trimmed to width and length (haven't cut any fitches yet (ie lengths of timber with the bark still on one or two sides).
IMG_7622.JPG
IMG_7622.JPG (154.14 KiB) Viewed 6301 times

The layshafts and pulleys have been completed (thanks to Philipy of this parish for the 3D printed pulley wheels). I think their layout would actually work - though I now realise that the final trimming table saw has been installed the wrong way round so the belt would interfere with the cutting process. A job for the future!
IMG_7621.JPG
IMG_7621.JPG (160.79 KiB) Viewed 6301 times

All in all, I'm quite pleased with the outcome. When the roof goes on, you will only catch glimpses of the activity inside. I did wonder if everything was a bit cramped, but looking at photos of real sawmills, mine looks quite tidy and spacious by comparison.
IMG_7628.JPG
IMG_7628.JPG (177.88 KiB) Viewed 6301 times

As with everything, there is more to be done. I'm currently working on the gantry crane for loading and unloading the wagons - and, of course, I need to build a boiler house for the mill engine.

All good fun!

Rik
Attachments
IMG_7629.JPG
IMG_7629.JPG (156.54 KiB) Viewed 6301 times
------------------------

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Mon May 21, 2018 3:31 pm

This may be a strange question considering all the superb machinery you have modelled.
??? How do you keep the Sawdust in place. I cant even keep gravel ballast from spiriting
itself away.
Regards Graham.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon May 21, 2018 4:29 pm

Rik,

I am not a purist. Nor do I know what a sawmill looks like, but it all looks superb. Well done.

Your attention to detail is commendable.

The finished sawmill, ancilliary buildings and fittings etc, will look fantastic.

I'd be happy if I could build models half as good as you have acheived.

Ian
Ian

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 21, 2018 4:39 pm

Gralyn wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:31 pm This may be a strange question considering all the superb machinery you have modelled.
??? How do you keep the Sawdust in place. I cant even keep gravel ballast from spiriting
itself away.
Lashings of PVA

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 21, 2018 4:42 pm

IanC wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:29 pm Rik,
I am not a purist. Nor do I know what a sawmill looks like, but it all looks superb. Well done.
Ian
Thanks Ian
I certainly don't think it's skill on my part, just dogged persistence..... :?
There are some very highly skilled modellers on this forum whose models are far more accomplished. I like to think of myself as 'Everyman' - ie if I can do it, then anyone can.

Rik
------------------------

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:09 pm

That is a beautiful interior Rik, a superb bit of modelling. I couldn't tell a belt was fouling anything and the sawdust looks just right to my eyes, accumulating where you would expect it. The site I have for a mill may have to become a cutwood store as area is nowhere near big enough...the saw will have to be off stage.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon May 21, 2018 6:17 pm

That is phenominal Rik! Absolutely beautiful job, and I can't believe those are 'my' pulleys, you've worked them up so well. :shock:
Philip

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon May 21, 2018 6:55 pm

Good grief Rik, I fancy I can even SMELL it! :shock:

Superb work again, possibly your best yet. You do set the bar high for the rest of us! :?

:thumbright:

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon May 21, 2018 7:10 pm

I can only echo everyone else's comments Rik. I dare say someone who works or worked in a timber mill would see any inaccuracies, but to my eye it's a busy workplace, and that is the effect you wanted I think. Brilliant stuff again! :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon May 21, 2018 10:02 pm

Yes - fantastic - the building, the fittings and how you have staged the people that bring the scene alive
Where did I put that uncoupler?

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon May 21, 2018 10:22 pm

I'm a carpenter iv seen a few saw mills there used to be one not far from where I used too live. That is spot on looks fantastic and looks like it would work well done love it

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon May 21, 2018 10:25 pm

I'm a carpenter iv seen a few saw mills there used to be one not far from where I used too live. That is spot on looks fantastic and looks like it would work well done love it

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon May 21, 2018 10:30 pm

Sorry, late to the party....again.... but what a superb piece of model making. I agree with all of the above, it looks just as though the machinery could actually do its job. I have seen several woodworking shops in the flesh and this could easily be one of them. Apart from the line-shafting the machinery probably hasn't altered much in the intervening years.
I love the atmosphere you have created with the sawdust..... with the roof on and shadows forming from sunlight passing through the open sides it will be spot on.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue May 22, 2018 2:48 am

I too agree with all that has been said, a fantastic job and it all looks so right. I'm particularly taken with the sawdust, its placement so very typical, and its application I imagine quite time consuming. Interested in what you have used for the belting, as that too looks very realistic.
Pity a roof will cover it all! Did they have skylights I wonder.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 22, 2018 5:59 am

LNR wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:48 am I too agree with all that has been said, a fantastic job and it all looks so right. I'm particularly taken with the sawdust, its placement so very typical, and its application I imagine quite time consuming. Interested in what you have used for the belting, as that too looks very realistic.
Pity a roof will cover it all! Did they have skylights I wonder.
Grant.
Thanks Grant.
With the sawdust, I assumed it would accumulate in nooks and crannies which were not thoroughfares, ie the staff would only sweep when and where necessary (or am I attributing them with my own values?).

Took me a while to seek out something for the belts. In the end, I went for thin card, painted with acrylics.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 22, 2018 6:06 am

Thanks for the feedback, folks. As it will only be glimpsed through the sides once the roof goes on, I've used a bit of modellers' licence here and there. I'm wondering whether to instal some (dim) lighting. From photos, sawmills of the era seemed to be quite gloomy - though actually, I found it difficult to find images from the 1930s, and especially from the UK. Quite a few photos from Australia and Canada - then I suppose logging was much more prevalent there.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 22, 2018 6:09 am

Peter Butler wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:30 pm I love the atmosphere you have created with the sawdust..... with the roof on and shadows forming from sunlight passing through the open sides it will be spot on.
Thanks Peter. Just the impression I'm seeking to create. :)

Rik
------------------------