HGLW Wittenberg-Schafer Loco

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Chris Bird
Fireman
Fireman

HGLW Wittenberg-Schafer Loco

Post by Chris Bird » Wed May 02, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi folks
I have recently finished (well mostly) my Wittenberg-Schafer kit and have written it up here, if anyone is interested:

https://sites.google.com/a/gardenrailwa ... chafer-kit

Please note that I did not have the instructions when I started so some of my build departs from the official instructions.

I will also put a little video over in the video section.
Cheers
Chris
HGLW W-S Loco.jpg
HGLW W-S Loco.jpg (95.57 KiB) Viewed 7583 times

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Re: HGLW Wittenberg-Schafer Loco

Post by BorisSpencer » Wed May 02, 2018 12:40 pm

Very nice.
Have you added much weight to the loco?

I can see an order heading the way of HGLW in the not too distant future.

Chris Bird
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Chris Bird » Wed May 02, 2018 12:58 pm

Thanks Boris - and no, no extra weight at all. The all up weight with two crew is 487gms and it managed a pretty heavy train without problems.
Cheers
Chris

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed May 02, 2018 4:30 pm

A lovely little odd-ball loco, well built and beautifully finished. The paintwork looks really good for an MDF kit.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed May 02, 2018 8:14 pm

Agreed. The video is worth watching too.

Ian
Ian

Chris Bird
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Chris Bird » Wed May 02, 2018 10:48 pm

Thanks guys :)

The finish was down to a shellac based sealer, five coats of primer and multiple coats of top coat with lots of rubbing down between the various coats. The finish is far from perfect but enough is enough!!
Cheers
Chris

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 03, 2018 8:26 am

Nice little loco and a great finish. I didn't seal the MDF on my recent HGLW build before painting. I found the flat surfaces took primer and paint well (better than ply), but visible end 'grain' sections absorbed the paint and needed several applications before they were sealed. If I made another model from MDF, I think I would follow your suggestion and seal any end grain sections prior to priming.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon May 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Chris,

Following yours and Rik's posts on the HGLW loco's I sahll probably be buying one shortly. Just have to decide which one.

Can you give me some advice on painting the MDF please? I've heard it is better to seal it first before any sanding, otherwise it just creates a "fluffy" finish which then takes more work to achive a smooth surface.

Am I correct in thinking you gave your loco several coats of sealer / primer too. I don't have shelac so I would be tempted to use PVA, watered down.

Ian
Ian

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon May 14, 2018 7:00 pm

Ian, watered down PVA will add to your problems, it is the water content which causes the MDF to swell and go 'fluffy'. Sanding sealers or shellac are far better because they are quick drying and stay on the surface without soaking the material.
Once dry they can be sanded between coats and a good smooth surface will eventually hide the joins.... be patient!

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon May 14, 2018 7:54 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:00 pm Ian, watered down PVA will add to your problems, it is the water content which causes the MDF to swell and go 'fluffy'. Sanding sealers or shellac are far better because they are quick drying and stay on the surface without soaking the material.
Once dry they can be sanded between coats and a good smooth surface will eventually hide the joins.... be patient!
Good point Peter. I'll have to make a trip to my local DIY store.

Thanks,

Ian
Ian

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:05 am

http://www.diy.com/departments/colron-h ... 862_BQ.prd

Steph H ( she is talented, writes in Garden Rail) was using this for a 7/8 coach build on the SE lounge . The name shellac was bandied around but this was what she used as "shellac". No guarantees but I plan to get some as I've got two coach kits on the shelf.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed May 16, 2018 10:34 am

bazzer42 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:05 am http://www.diy.com/departments/colron-h ... 862_BQ.prd

Steph H ( she is talented, writes in Garden Rail) was using this for a 7/8 coach build on the SE lounge . The name shellac was bandied around but this was what she used as "shellac". No guarantees but I plan to get some as I've got two coach kits on the shelf.
I've found something similar here. Slightly cheaper than Been and Queued.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p94067?

Ian
Ian

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed May 16, 2018 10:51 am

Either of the above should do the trick, they are quick drying and will seal the MDF surface well. It is important to apply thin coats as it can form blobs and runs which will be difficult to remove. Work quickly and keep moving to spread out evenly.
It is meths based and you will certainly need some to clean it off your fingers.... it is difficult to remove.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed May 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:51 am Either of the above should do the trick, they are quick drying and will seal the MDF surface well. It is important to apply thin coats as it can form blobs and runs which will be difficult to remove. Work quickly and keep moving to spread out evenly.
It is meths based and you will certainly need some to clean it off your fingers.... it is difficult to remove.
I wonder if it's possible to apply using an airbrush? I have an old cheapo one and may give it a try. Does the PVA glue stick to sealed MDF or would I need something else such as epoxy resin or super glue?

Ian
Ian

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 16, 2018 1:21 pm

I didn't seal my loco before painting - partly due to ignorance and partly due to impatience. I gave her a couple of coats of Halford's grey primer, then some filler (Squadron white putty) a couple of coats of top coat, then changed my mind on the colour and so rubbed down, primed and top coated again, followed by a couple of light coats of varnish. I'd say it was 9 coats in all. I only noticed paint absorption where the end 'grain' of the MDF showed through and that had virtually disappeared after the first four coats (ie 2 x primer/filler + 2 × top coat) with gentle rubbing down between primer and top coat.

Maybe I'm more tolerant of slight imperfections and so don't notice them but I'm quite happy with the finish I achieved.
IMG_7467.JPG
IMG_7467.JPG (186.65 KiB) Viewed 7318 times
Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed May 16, 2018 1:32 pm

My preferred option would be to build the body first and apply filler as required in any gaps, then smooth the areas before using any sealer.
I have much experience of using shellac and French polish during my career and wouldn't recommend spraying it as it will block the jet very quickly. I doubt it would be possible to clean any spray equipment afterwards.
If you can find a cellulose based equivalent that would be far better.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed May 16, 2018 2:11 pm

I am with Rik on this one narrow gauge is ruff and ready!

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed May 16, 2018 4:54 pm

It looks good to me Rik. So good that the picture and your review has convinced me that one of these will be my next loco purchase.

Ian
Ian

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed May 16, 2018 4:56 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:32 pm My preferred option would be to build the body first and apply filler as required in any gaps, then smooth the areas before using any sealer.
I have much experience of using shellac and French polish during my career and wouldn't recommend spraying it as it will block the jet very quickly. I doubt it would be possible to clean any spray equipment afterwards.
If you can find a cellulose based equivalent that would be far better.
Sounds good to me Peter, thanks. I'm used to blocked jets. It happens frequently with acrylics in the airbrush.

Many thanks,

Ian
Ian

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed May 16, 2018 5:18 pm

IanC wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:54 pm It looks good to me Rik. So good that the picture and your review has convinced me that one of these will be my next loco purchase.

Ian
Agree - sanding the two top corners into rounded corners makes all the difference - make it look more prototypical to me - and the finish on that paintwork is spot on - its all about the number of think layers rubbed down in between
Where did I put that uncoupler?