Cats and Dogs Railway (austrian narrow gauge)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Cats and Dogs Railway (austrian narrow gauge)

Post by IanC » Wed May 09, 2018 11:40 am

Very good use of what looks like a restricted space. The planting and scenic features enhance the line.

The improvements carried will bo doubt provide better running and enjoyment.

Ian
Ian

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 09, 2018 12:44 pm

Looking good Daan. Can I just ask what make is the double slip? It seems to be less sharply curved than the LGB version.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Wed May 09, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks for the compliments! @Rik, it is a normal LGB double slip. They are 22,5 degrees (R1 is 30) and the length is 1,5 straight, so 45 cm. It is about R3 I guess.
In my railtool for the computer I don't have any double slips in R1 from LGB, they are all this size. Mine however misses the boxes to throw the switches, making it look substantial less wide.. It was an old, very cheap item which needed repairs..
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 10, 2018 7:51 am

daan wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:43 pm Thanks for the compliments! @Rik, it is a normal LGB double slip. They are 22,5 degrees (R1 is 30) and the length is 1,5 straight, so 45 cm. It is about R3 I guess.
In my railtool for the computer I don't have any double slips in R1 from LGB, they are all this size. Mine however misses the boxes to throw the switches, making it look substantial less wide.. It was an old, very cheap item which needed repairs..
Thanks. I always thought they were R1 and so never bothered with planning for them. A single slip would have been useful at my main station and so a double slip would give an added bonus. Must keep an eye open for a secondhand one.

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu May 10, 2018 6:43 pm

This is a great example of what can be done in a small space, great work Daan.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Thu May 10, 2018 7:41 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:51 am Thanks. I always thought they were R1 and so never bothered with planning for them. A single slip would have been useful at my main station and so a double slip would give an added bonus. Must keep an eye open for a secondhand one.

Rik
I've tried the configuration in Anyrail (that's the progamme I use for designing) and it's definitely R3. The 16000 track fits nicely across the radius of the double slip turnout. You could try grootspoor for one..

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sun May 13, 2018 9:06 am

The past two days I've been working on a new bridge section in the Alpstein bridge. It lacked a section because I relocated 2 smaller sections and removed a stone pier to another spot. This left a gap of 55cm in the bridge.

My choice was to build this section a bit different than the other 4 sections. It's a longer and is in full sight all around, so I wanted this section to look attractive.

It's built of aluminium, 55cm long which makes the bridge total a 175cm in length. The bridge is 57cm at it's highest point.

On the bridge I made guardrails from old trackpieces, to keep loco's on the bridge if they would derail, but merely it's an extra visual spot of interest.

The washers on the piers have to be cast in concrete yet, but these washers allow me to get the hight of the track just right. I've painted the bridge the same colour as the rest of the bridge pieces by now.

If the pictures don't work, please refresh your screen. It helps most of the time.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun May 13, 2018 9:20 am

It’s full of visual interest now Dann, but even more is so now. :thumbright:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun May 13, 2018 10:28 am

I have only just noticed the long catch rails you use, good idea.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Love the bridge says a bridge builder. Was the curved base pre-curved or have you bent it yourself ?

I have to say I do like open bridges.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sun May 13, 2018 3:26 pm

I've bent it myself by bolting the two pieces together. It you bend one L shaped angle, it will curve outward, but if you bolt 2 back-to-back, they will keep straight when bending.
I've made two overlength pieces and marked them every 5cm. Then bent them by hand in a workmate and a vice and checked the curve by unbolting the angle and reverse one of them on top of the other to check if the left and right section where even. Then cut them to length and pieced together the rest of the frame..

The catchrails are screwed down on the ties by drilling a 2mm hole through the rail from top to bottom, and using very small screws. This way it's very easy to make them and cheap (because it's a tieless secondhand R1 curve at 1,50 euro's a piece)

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sun May 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Yes, check rails a good idea on the open bridge. If a train fell off could be expensive. Also dangerous for your 16mm scale passengers. If the fall didn't prove fatal they could still be eaten by the crocs :shock:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sun May 13, 2018 7:25 pm

The check rails are also prototypical.

Ian
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon May 14, 2018 6:59 am

invicta280 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:30 pm
Also dangerous for your 16mm scale passengers. If the fall didn't prove fatal they could still be eaten by the crocs :shock:

:laughing3: :laughing3:

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue May 15, 2018 8:53 pm

Loving the bridge

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Tue May 15, 2018 10:06 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:59 am
invicta280 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:30 pm
Also dangerous for your 16mm scale passengers. If the fall didn't prove fatal they could still be eaten by the crocs :shock:
:laughing3: :laughing3:
You can laugh about it, but it has happened in the everglades in 1993. There a highspeed deluxe train derailed on a bridge because a barge had hit it, falling into a river full of aligators.. :shock:

Thanks for the nice comments on the bridge! I still don't have a movie made, because the locomotives struggled up to the triangle and even stalled. It turned out that a part of the track in the back sank away in the ground for over 2,5cm the past few years, resulting in a very steep incline to the triangle. I dug the concrete slabs out and filled the underground piers up with tiles untill the track was level again.

This afternoon the trackbed is cast in concrete again. It should work a lot better now..

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 16, 2018 6:28 am

Looking great, Daan. The bridge sections look very prototypical. Always amazes me how strong spidery looking structures can be. To my mind, tower cranes should buckle the moment they attach those concrete counter weights and as for girder bridges! Those on the Centovalli in Switzerland should have fallen down years ago!
Switzerlands-romantic-Centovalli-train1-640x427.jpg
Switzerlands-romantic-Centovalli-train1-640x427.jpg (63.06 KiB) Viewed 7126 times
Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed May 16, 2018 7:15 am

Don’t think I was laughing at real people for one minute Daan, it’s just the way invicta280 put it.

I wouldn’t laugh at such a terrible thing, so chill mate, life’s too short. And I did say your line was full of visual interest but more so now.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Wed May 16, 2018 5:19 pm

FWLR wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:15 am Don’t think I was laughing at real people for one minute Daan, it’s just the way invicta280 put it.

I wouldn’t laugh at such a terrible thing, so chill mate, life’s too short. And I did say your line was full of visual interest but more so now.
No offense in any way, don't worry.. ;)

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Thu May 17, 2018 12:41 am

A first small movie from the newly (re)built railway. The leveling pays off: My little new steamloco "Bollenwees" can now pull 9 cars and has steam to spare..