An old Shay joined our stable

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

An old Shay joined our stable

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:07 pm

Here is my wife's first live steamer, a very old Hyde Out Mountain Shay. Uses cylinders, reversing block and safety valve from the old Mamod SL1 locomotives(or clones of them), has a displacement lubricator that hangs out between the two cylinders(going to get that changed), has a big pot boiler and was originally fired by Sterno(gelled alcohol). I put a wick material in the belly fire pan and use meths(alcohol) to fire it now. The engine is RC controlled with working headlights and has heavy cast metal sprung trucks. We got this old girl from a friend who received it with a collection of HO brass logging engines. Planning to add some extra details to lessen the crudeness of the early model. Ours is serial number 18 out of 102 that were produced by a dealer in Ohio, USA. So one of the few USA commercialy produced live steamers, the Cricket and the Creekside Baldwin being the other 2 made in decent quantities.(would like to find one of the early saddle tank Creekside Baldwins). Mike and Michele T
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!