Newqidas on the Block

What is your latest project?
IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Re: Newqidas on the Block

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:17 pm

Finally! A day warm enough for spray paint. The wife went shopping, so it was spray booth out of the basement and onto the screened in porch and give the first of the Newqidas another coat of coach lake, and the internal panels a blast with something that says summat weird on the label, but looks cream to me. It always seems to me that either yuppies or women or yuppie women pick the names for shades of paint, as the average denizen of a basement workshop has no idea what "ecru blush" might be - some sort of pink would be my guess, but... :oops:

Anyway, today has been about 16C and damp, which is quite a contrast to the -16C of a week ago. The damp is not a problem as I am not looking for a high gloss finish, these coaches are actually used.

Walking the dog was actually a pleasure last night instead of a race against frostbite.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:47 pm

IrishPeter wrote: ↑Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:17 pm
Walking the dog was actually a pleasure last night instead of a race against frostbite.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Frost on the ground is a positive advantage here when we take our three Springers out into our fields. If it is warmer and wetter they always chase, slide or dig for moles which results in them having to go into the pond, stream or shower before being allowed back into the house. It is great to see them enjoying themselves but involves a lot of rubbing dry and towel washing.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:44 pm

We have a brace of terriers, but one is too old to really be taken for walks. On good days he'll shuffle his arthritis up to the end of the garden and back. The other one is still a puppy - a very well behaved puppy, but a puppy nonetheless. Walking him on cold days is a bit easier as their are fewer squirrels for him to go after. It is amazing how much momentum he can build up before the slack runs out on a six foot lead! A practical demonstration of the physics behind broken three-link couplings.

I am now beginning to wish I had painted the first Newqida LNER Green/Cream, which on reflection seems a better livery for a slab sided steel coach, and leave the wooden coach(es) either varnished or red. I am quite good at getting the variegated panels look of well-worn LNER varnished stock, but it has more to do with my clumsiness with the stain than anything else! Anyway, it might be off to the Rocking R to see if they have a rattle can that approximates to LNER Green a la Darlington before too long.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:38 am

I found a can of spring green which looked somewhat Darlington-ish in the Rocking-R and brought it home along with a packet of shelf clips for the wife's pie safe. The outside temperature then took a long trip south, so it was yesterday before it was in the high-50s and I could do anything with the NQD stock, which turned out to be paint the innards and upper panels cream. I couldn't do much more than that thanks to a back spasm which made standing uncomfortable, but at least progress was made. It got another spray this evening.

This particular vehicle is the experimental conversion, in that there will be a lot of putzing around with this one. The next two should be easy. but the conversion of the fourth into a brake-third (disabled access) is going to be a lot more complicated.

Peter in Va

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:57 pm

Warm enough for painting again today at 63F/16C. Gave the first NQD a blast with a rattle can of spring green that I had got from the Rocking R. Too bright, and not yellow enough for the Darlington version of LNER green :( . Back across the road for a can of meadow green which actually looks to be quite a bit closer to the Doncaster version of the colour, though it is probably a bit more on the blue side of green than it should be. Close enough for government work, however. Gave it a quick blast, and it looks decent enough. Time now to leave it on the screened porch until it dries. I just hope the down town car parts place has 1/8th black trim-line tape when I head that way.

Peter in Va.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:56 am

Can’t wait to see your work Peter.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:25 am

Now let's see if I can remember how to do this...

Ah - file too big...

Hang on a tick!

Erm.... <looks puzzled at computer photo editing programme>

"Sweetie!!! Can you fix the file size?"

Cheers,
Peter in Va

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:41 am

OK - let's see if this works.
Interior w/o flash
Interior w/o flash
Train A.jpg (253.73 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
Exterior without roof
Exterior without roof
Train C.jpg (224.86 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
Exterior, with roof next to one in original condition apart from regauging
Exterior, with roof next to one in original condition apart from regauging
Train F.jpg (219.26 KiB) Viewed 5685 times
Exterior
Exterior
Train E.jpg (210.02 KiB) Viewed 5685 times
There is a fair mount of touching up to be done with the cream paint, and I think the floor will end up grey at some point, but the whole thing represents a big advance on the original model with everything in dark coloured plastics. The toilet compartment has yet to be fabricated - maybe tomorrow's job if life does not interfere too much!

Peter in Va

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:20 pm

They look good Peter, I do like the colour.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:43 pm

Glad you are posting pictures Peter.

You write such interesting posts but with pictures they are perfect.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:12 am

That does look nice and love that colour combination .

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:29 am

I rather like the old LNER tourist stock livery and thought it would suit these slab sided steel coaches well. I am somewhat bracing myself for ordering the waterslide transfers for lettering these puppies out, as Ga.3 transfers are big and therefore expensive, but at least they only need LNER and a running number. Unfortunately, the running number is liable to be pretty lengthy.

Peter in Va

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:50 am

Very nice Peter, great colours. :thumbright: :thumbright:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Here is my part finished Newqida. Inspiration taken from Dougrails conversion, with a colour scheme to match my Maroon Lady Anne and based on the BR blood and custard. It has had the roof anglicised. The picture was taken in very bright sunlight so the colours are not exact, and a little bit of finishing is required, This is mainly transfers and reinstating some minor details. (When I find where I put them 2 years ago!).

A second coach is in the workshop, at painting stage, but progress has been slow!

https://gardenrails.org/forum/download/ ... ew&id=3101
Attachments
_DSC7683.JPG
_DSC7683.JPG (125.28 KiB) Viewed 6399 times
Ian

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:27 am

Nice paint job, they do lend themselves to re-working.
Grant.
PS I like the reflections in the puddle of water, great shot.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:03 am

Lovely paint work Ian. :thumbright: :thumbright:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:52 am

LNR wrote: ↑Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:27 am Nice paint job, they do lend themselves to re-working.
Grant.
PS I like the reflections in the puddle of water, great shot.
Thanks Grant. Yes, they're easy to modify and adapt. A cheap starting point too. I have some thoughts about a guards/brake vehicle but not got round to it yet. The puddle is actually a glass topped table :lol:

Ian
Ian

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:53 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:03 am Lovely paint work Ian. :thumbright: :thumbright:
Thanks Rod,

All done with an airbrush and masking tape.

Ian
Ian

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:49 pm

I don't have one of these coaches myself but Just Julie (of this Forum) has one and I am impressed with the quality build and potential to upgrade as you wish.
You certainly have given yours a new look.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:25 pm

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:49 pm I don't have one of these coaches myself but Just Julie (of this Forum) has one and I am impressed with the quality build and potential to upgrade as you wish.
You certainly have given yours a new look.
Thank you Peter.

My aim was to make them a little more British in appearance. I hope to resume work on the other three when the weather improves.

Ian
Ian