A Quiet Sunday

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Re: A Quiet Sunday

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:06 pm

markoteal wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:13 pm :thumbleft: (I'm speechless!)
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:33 am

You guys are making it very difficult to come on here this morning.
Firstly I'm gratified, appreciative and embarrassed by the comments from everyone.
Secondly I'm more than happy being a "trainee driver" as there is still much to be learned from this forum. As long as people are amused, inspired, or just happy to read the things I waffle on about here, that is more than enough satisfaction for me. Being in the company of many other modellers helps to give me enthusiasm for the next project.
Besides, I haven't finished waffling on about vehicles on the LNR yet!
Grant.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:11 am

So, next we have a little more horsepower. The dray was built before the Bakers cart, and in order to do the harness,
I used black and brown wire, which unfortunately looks like, well, wire. I hadn't tried the leather with glycerine at this
stage, and wanted reins etc. to sit where I put them. Once again wheels of ply, steel tyres, no springs on these working
drays, only the bend in the seat board.
Horse & Dray 7.JPG
Horse & Dray 7.JPG (57.76 KiB) Viewed 5012 times
It wouldn't be a dray in Australia without a Cosco Fertilizer bag hung underneath on the axle for the horses nosebag.
Horse & Dray 8.JPG
Horse & Dray 8.JPG (60.52 KiB) Viewed 5012 times
This next one is not for close ups. Its origins are obvious. I measured up a Fowler B6 and found the Wilesco pretty close in
all except width if I remember. Disguised with road tyres, flywheel cover, water tank, scale steering wheel, tow hitches
front and back and a suitable canopy along with loosing the blue colour it might pass at a distance.
Fowler B6 Road Loco.JPG
Fowler B6 Road Loco.JPG (68.48 KiB) Viewed 5012 times
The Fordson has been covered before, much molded on detail removed, to be replaced with separate items, wiring, control
rods, steering wheel, crank handle, and a paint and chip job.
My Fordson Model F Weathered 4.jpg
My Fordson Model F Weathered 4.jpg (43.37 KiB) Viewed 5012 times

With guards as they mostly were in Australia, as the guards were to provide some safety when the tractor reared up on its
hind wheels on striking hard ground with a plough. Unlike England our topsoil is measured in inches, not feet.
No Guards 2.JPG
No Guards 2.JPG (46.92 KiB) Viewed 5012 times
Without guards, it appears much smaller, being 1/16th. scale it should be.
Only one to go.
Grant.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:07 pm

Fabulous modelling Grant (as always)!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:13 pm

You carry on Grant, you cannot learn anything from me!

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:32 am

Last one.
This came about from reading an MOD requirement for an articulated twin axle suspension for trucks.
On finding patent drawings and following it through I was missing something. I started building, and finally found the
missing action of the puzzle. Thornycroft used this suspension, plenty of info on the web re measurements etc. so the pics. tell the story.
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 005A.jpg
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 005A.jpg (33.89 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
Chassis, steering, front axle ( a piece of brass track) rear diffs and axles set up with tyres machined from plumbing grommets.
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 007A.jpg
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 007A.jpg (30.68 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
Close up of the steering box, drag link etc.
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 008A.jpg
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 008A.jpg (39.24 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
Rear view showing the patent suspension, upper and lower spring sets brake drums prop shafts and the all important gimbals (the missing link)
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 009A.jpg
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 009A.jpg (34.86 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
I actually achieved slightly more articulation than the patent called for as this pic. shows. each axle had to be capable of moving through so
many degrees ( 18deg. I think)with out affecting the other axle.
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 021A.jpg
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 021A.jpg (40.25 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
on with body work, starting to look like a truck, hopefully a 1927 Thornycroft A5 RSW (rigid six wheeler)
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 025B.jpg
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 025B.jpg (40.19 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
Building the large winch that the army fitted when these were used as gun tractors (became the Tartar) it's front and rear capable.
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 042.jpg
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 042.jpg (58.52 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
Jumping ahead in time frame,( my railway) those conversant with these things will know that the body is straight off a WW2 Scammel .
Crane works, full recovery gear, snatch blocks, slings, ground spades, anchors, rigid tow pole and pintle hook all carried in the lockers
or stowed on board.
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 044.jpg
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 044.jpg (40.73 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
Not finished, but then I never finish anything, and it's a bit dirtier these days.
Grant.

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:04 am

Wow that is a magnificent project in it's own right, never mind all the other aspects of your railway. You clearly must have at least 36 hours available in each day in your part of the world. Would you please expand on your intriguing statement that you turn your tyres from plumbing grommets, suitable tyres have always been a real problem for most model vehicle builders.
Phil

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:54 am

Hi Phil,
pandsrowe wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:04 am suitable tyres have always been a real problem for most model vehicle builders.
And have been for me too.
Talking to a friend at the GSSU who was into tether cars, said he turned wheels up from grommets, said he'd bring some in next day. I got six and needed an extra one for the spare and thought I'd seen something similar at Clark Rubber. So that's where I obtained one that machined the same as the other six. I can't tell you what they're intended for, just that they are rigid enough to machine like machinable rubber. I even found I could polish the surface. From memory they were about 100mm diam. x 12mm thick and had a hole of about 25mm. An advantage of tyres for that period is they were pretty basic shape wise (many trucks were using solid tyres still) so just a matter of machining the two diameters, putting grooves in and parting off. The sipes went in afterwards by hand with a Dremel with a diamond tipped cut-off wheel.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:30 pm

Stunning, simply stunning!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:17 pm

Wow! As in - WOW!!!

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:12 pm

Not sure what to say other than that is a thing of beauty, a work of art.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:10 am

Just to finish off, this is what happens when wanting to see how effective the ground spades were. I set the truck up with a three to one tackle from a ground anchor onto the log skids that used to be at Warringine.
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 048.jpg
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 048.jpg (122 KiB) Viewed 5671 times
The winch is very slow, and I was running the mechanical loco as well and went to change a set of points.
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 050A.jpg
Th'croft A5 RSW Model 050A.jpg (106.36 KiB) Viewed 5671 times
This is what greeted me when I got back, the ground spades work, and the log skids are no longer.
Grant.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:06 am

That made me chuckle Grant.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:04 pm

wow that's some cool modeling

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:43 am

jim@NAL wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:04 pm wow that's some cool modeling
It's the fine attention to detail that does it. Plenty of research must have gone into getting the small details right. Those ground spades make a lot of sense when you see them in (simulated) action.

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:11 am

Thats such a brilliant model...Care to sell it Grant..lol.. :lol: :lol: seriously though that is a worthy winner of any photo competition. :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:39 am

FWLR wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:11 am Thats such a brilliant model...Care to sell it Grant..lol.. :lol: :lol:
I don't think any of us could afford it if the cost of 'expert' man hours is used as the basis for the calculation

Rik
------------------------

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:20 am

That being said Rik, and with Peters recent discussion in "Off Topic" have you ever wondered where all your railway equipment will end up when the time comes for you to stop using it (if you get my drift). I hope my Son won't chuck mine in the bin, I'll come back and haunt him if he does!.
Grant.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:18 am

Forward planning is essential for such a time when those left behind are in no proper mental state to resolve such issues.
I have already detailed disposal of my collections in my will..... My Rowland Emett models will go to the 'Rowland Emett Society' who are already in the planning stages of creating a permanent museum to house and display examples of his work.
My 16mm items, locos, stock, buildings etc. will be dispersed via sales through 16mm Association or here on the Forum. A good friend will conduct that on my behalf to cover funeral costs.
Not taking offers at the moment!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:17 am

I should think not Peter.. Hopefully Anne would know what to do with my small amount of stock, give it to my Grandkids.... :thumbright: