Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:13 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:26 pm I decided to cheat at the time by excluding the all important condensing tubes on the roof and have now realised what a silly mistake that was. You were all too polite to tell me how wrong I was. In order to correct the error and complete the job I knuckled down yesterday to construct a suitable add-on system to attach permanently to the roof and improve the overall appearance. It now looks more like a steam tram.... including the advertising from our sponsor....
To be honest, I noticed the lack of tubes, but just assumed that they had taken advantage of the later change (mid-1890s) in BOT regulations and removed them. The first two Castlederg Kitsons (1884) had condensers, but the third, which was the locomotive version of a six window heavy class (1890?) did not because the BOT no longer required them. Sorry, but due to the Skebawn and Castleknox project I have acquired more knowledge than I ever needed of Tramway regulations. :D

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:49 pm

Well, thank you for filling in the details Peter, I, for one (there may be others on the Forum?) don't understand the purpose of the tubes.... my guess would tend to be towards operational rather than BOT requirements. I'm sure I must have seen examples of such locomotives in both guises. Were they to recycle water where supplies were limited? Were they to prevent steam jets from blasting horse-drawn traffic and scaring other road users? I have said many times I have no technical understanding of railways in general but overall appearance is everything to me.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:55 pm

I am sure others will correct me, I think condensing apparatus on trams was to keep large issues of steam to a minimum so as to not scare animals, or those with a weak constitution.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:21 pm

Apparently they thought that horses bolted at the appearance of a tram because they looked scary. So the solution was to box them in and make sure there were minimal visible emissions - hence coke firing, and condensers. It did not really work, as it was noise more than smoke and whirring things that spooked the horses.

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:43 pm

At last I feel able to get back to making models again. For some unknown reason I couldn't think about embarking on a new project since Christmas. The only job I have managed to carry out is the tram conversion and that possibly inspired me to think seriously about more structures which I would like to have ready for installation when the weather improves.
So...... which to do first? I have mentioned before about building a church and I now have most of the windows, kindly 3D printed by a local friend. However, the church will be sited out-of-town so is less important than others. What could be more important than a church?..... a pub!!!!!
In the tradition of building restoration which is strong in my village, the (second) pub is half-timbered again using HIP sheet throughout. The 'timber' framing is scratched with a razor saw to give a woodgrain effect and the render finish is my usual SBR with 'N' scale ballast to fill between the frames.
The pictures show the front elevation with 16mm 3D printed figure for scale....
IMG_5158.JPG
IMG_5158.JPG (93.74 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
IMG_5162.JPG
IMG_5162.JPG (97.75 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
Rear of the front elevation showing support bracing for strength....
IMG_5161.JPG
IMG_5161.JPG (86.18 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
Rear elevation.....
IMG_5164.JPG
IMG_5164.JPG (92.18 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
Finally, the surface scored with a sharp blade to form a 'key' for the SBR to bond....
IMG_5166.JPG
IMG_5166.JPG (101.35 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
This evening I have filled the areas with screed mix and am currently waiting for them to set overnight. I should be able to show progress tomorrow.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:43 am

Ooh good! Peter's at it again! :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:22 am

It’s looking like another brilliant build, just wish I had the motivation to do something Peter...(not been good for a few weeks), in and out of hospital. Still I am still here and really looking forward to your build... :thumbright:

Can I ask a favour Peter, I know I may have asked this before, but can you please tell me what HIP, SBR and all the other shortened words mean please, then I will copy them to my notes on macbook for reference.

Thank You.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:28 am

Looking good (again!) Peter. Funny how inspiration comes and goes. Do you hear voices as well ? There's one in my head at the moment whispering 4mm micro China clay layout :silent: .....must resist and finish the large shed...

Where do you buy your plastic? The colours look useful.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:32 am

Looks like another inspirational build is underway.

I marvel at the speed with which you tackle these projects. My sawmill project has been chugging away for about a month now and is about as far on as you seem to have reached in a couple of days. Not only do you seem to be able to work quickly, you also maintain a high standard throughout. Must be something in the South Walean water!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:04 am

ge_rik wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:32 am Must be something in the South Walean water!
perhaps he adds a little something to the water Rik! ;)
Another building for the town planners to wrestle with, they're going to be busy this coming season.
Grant.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:52 am

Bazzer and Rod, (sorry to hear you haven't been well Rod, I hope things are settling down with the new medication).
The High Impact Polystyrene is from 'Homecrafts' on-line, if you find their website and click on HIP you will find colour and thickness available, although not all combinations are in stock.
If you scroll down on their page they have some images of my work.

SBR (no idea what it stands for) is again available on-line through eBay. Its uses seem endless in bonding ballast, sand etc. and waterproofing paints.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:20 pm

Great progress today, overnight the SBR/ballast mix has set and looks well on the walls......
IMG_5167.JPG
IMG_5167.JPG (110.46 KiB) Viewed 4115 times
IMG_5168.JPG
IMG_5168.JPG (101.31 KiB) Viewed 4115 times
IMG_5169.JPG
IMG_5169.JPG (143.42 KiB) Viewed 4115 times
I have now attached the ends with corner bracing to add strength and ensure squareness. These ends will not be detailed as there will be structures at either end making a terrace of assorted buildings forming a street. Also the roof is fitted with HIP sheet which will allow me to attach slates in strips as usual. The chimney is placed but not fixed as I need to coat that in the SBR/ballast while I can hold and turn it more easily....
IMG_5171.JPG
IMG_5171.JPG (92.19 KiB) Viewed 4115 times
IMG_5172.JPG
IMG_5172.JPG (84.87 KiB) Viewed 4115 times

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi Peter,

Nice to see the work has recommenced and what a lovely job it is too!

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:43 pm

Very nice progress, Peter.
Philip

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:54 pm

Great work - love that the 1st floor comes our further than the ground floor - very prototypical!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:23 pm

great looking building peter my parents live in a thatched timber frame cottage and there are lots of this type of building where I live it looks perfect

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:55 am

Your obviously very well practiced at getting the N gauge ballast where it's meant to go, and not anywhere else.
Wish our pubs were that small, Nayook could do with one. In Australia they tend to have quite a large footprint.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:22 am

Coming along nicely, Peter. That ballast looks perfect for the infill.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:17 am

Hi Peter, the tablets haven’t took affect just yet, but I am hopeful.

Thanks for the explanation on the HIP and also what SBR is used for, been online and found this,

Styrene-butadiene or styrene-butadiene rubber (SBR), it’s pretty much what my father used when he was mixing concrete, it made it go like granite...haha.

Loving you build Peter, it is looking brilliant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:40 am

Sorry Peter, what thickness of the HIP do you use mostly please.