New Millie

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: New Millie

Post by markoteal » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:35 am

Cheers Jim - yes the grapes have done well - this year - we grow the vine for leaf coverage on a fence rather than for the grapes - the challenge is that in France , they might grow 10 - 12 bunches off each vine - on ours because it runs over 100ft along the fence, we've got probably 200 bunches, but they never gather enough flesh to be really viable - come September they are nearly all seed!

As you'll see from a more recent photo they are growing and the CHLR does have a vendage season, where we use the railway to clear all the bunches - I'll try nd take some pics this year!
IMG_1636.JPG
IMG_1636.JPG (813.44 KiB) Viewed 5920 times
Where did I put that uncoupler?

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:24 pm

I have had a 'Millie' for about five years, and she is still my favourite locomotive just to let run. The first 10 hours of running time she was decidedly skittish with the regulator not taking that much adjustment between 'gentle plod' and 'warp speed.' However, she now has a very nice level of control especially on the relatively flat temporary basement line I am using at the moment. Mine has gained a full cab, cylinder covers, and a safety valve bonnet, and I am wondering what over "fluffy dice" items I can add.

My other favourite locomotive is one of the Roundhouse Annas from c.1990 which is also a docile beast.

Cheers,
Peter in Va.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:57 am

Yes I'm looking at a few more bling items - cylinder covers are on there, riveted buffer beam overlays are on the list already and I'm also planning some cab steps from Locoworks - look a nice detailed add on

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:09 am

Just a quick update - videos to follow

Spitfire has now had remote control fitted by Matt at Barley Pit Works and he's done a great job - there are some photos below - the receiver and battery are tucked underwear and the driver stands proudly on the servo , virtually hiding it! No need for a cab or tender fitting which best suited my twisting industrial style line.

Its changed driving her from being fun but manically stressful if she took off to now being a slow speed enjoyable drive - she's rostered for the stopping service this weekend where as she normally has to run the express as stopping accurately at intermediate stations has not been possible

Will try and get some video up this weekend
one.png
one.png (577.04 KiB) Viewed 5606 times
two.png
two.png (600.83 KiB) Viewed 5606 times
three.png
three.png (580.4 KiB) Viewed 5606 times
four.png
four.png (566.24 KiB) Viewed 5606 times

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:55 pm

You can always run an inertia wagon in your trains now Mark, with R/C it will be great.

I have one you can try.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:33 pm

I've got one already :thumbup:

Yes with that hooked up, I can get her to crawl along, up and down the bumps on the line

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:21 am

Thought I'd share a couple of photos of CHLR's Millie at speed at the recent Kent 16mm steam up
spitfire.png
spitfire.png (567.82 KiB) Viewed 6246 times
Compared to the tight and gradient heavy CHLR, Spitfire was able to open her cylinders fully and get up to NG 'Main Line' speed - at times the safety wasn't blowing - which if you know a Millie means she was working hard - the momo wagon (disguised as a coal wagon) helps tremendously

I'm now adding more 'bling' in the shape of buffer beam overlays, more coal in the boot, step inlays - with cylinder covers and other upgrades planned

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:01 pm

Get those wheels painted and the buffers chemically blackened or painted Mark :thumbup:

I was impressed with the control you now have of the loco since R/C was installed.

When you need to change direction does the loco require a fair bit of force to push/pull it? I was wondering if on your line at home if you had raised track at the end of each station you could let the loco roll back after stopping to then run around your run round loops?

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Yes, wheels, rods and buffers in the blackening list band thanks for the feedback about control - much more relaxing

To change direction, the loco needs to do one 'chuff' in the opposite direction (about one rotation of the wheels) - at the moment its need 'Maradona's hand' to change direction but having inclines is an interesting idea - I think for it to happen without any outside help would involve inclines more akin to a funicular!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:59 pm

I tried this with a single cylinder Archangel Brick. You do need a steep slope and it is very dependent on how far the regulator is open and how much pressure is in the boiler.

Probably a non starter.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:17 pm

IrishPeter wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:24 pm I have had a 'Millie' for about five years, and she is still my favourite locomotive just to let run. The first 10 hours of running time she was decidedly skittish with the regulator not taking that much adjustment between 'gentle plod' and 'warp speed.' However, she now has a very nice level of control especially on the relatively flat temporary basement line I am using at the moment. Mine has gained a full cab, cylinder covers, and a safety valve bonnet, and I am wondering what over "fluffy dice" items I can add.

My other favourite locomotive is one of the Roundhouse Annas from c.1990 which is also a docile beast.

Cheers,
Peter in Va.
Peter - I've acquired some cylinder covers - not immediately obvious how I fit them - please advise

Ta

Mark

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:36 am

Hi Mark,
They should just clip over the cylinders, no tools or anything required.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:12 am

The cylinder covers are the same ones they use on most of the Roundhouse locos so they should clip over the cylinders as mentioned.

You may need to bend the curved part of cover to fit snugly to the cylinder otherwise you get a gap which is my issue with these covers.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:33 pm

markoteal wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:17 pm I've acquired some cylinder covers - not immediately obvious how I fit them - please advise
Unlike a lot of the Roundhouse range, Millies have a footplate above the cylinders, so you will need to remove the bodywork to fit the clip on cylinder covers.

As Tom said, the cylinder covers don't fit all that well as supplied and it is worth doing a bit of fettling during fitting. Nothing drastic, just some reshaping with the fingers until you get a neat fit.

Graeme

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:38 pm

I did not have to do anything near so extreme. If I had, they would still be in the bit box awaiting the arrival of the next batch of heavy duty Roundtuits, which seem to be in very short supply/high demand right now.

My recollection is that I simply bent up the flange at the back of the flat top of the cylinder cover so it was at about a fifty degree angle and would fit through the gap between the footplate, and the top of the cylinder. I then gave it a good shove so that it flexed a bit and clipped over the cylinder snugly, and, as they say, Robert's one of your parent's sibling.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:15 pm

Cheers guys - Peter, I thought that may have to be the approach otherwise the bodywork would have to come off as GTB said - I shall have a play!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:36 pm

These engines are not spacecraft, take it apart Mark.

You must play about with your Land Rover after all!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:16 am

What he said ^^^^^

If you find you have a small gap around the covers, a small bit of silicone sealant can work wonders to hold things tight. But as others have said a little bit of manual manipulation should see you right.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:23 pm

I picked up a nicely detailed 2002 Millie 2nd hand late last year, although curiously the wheels have not been painted.

As you can see in this short video it is very capable of running manually at nice slow speeds (the point where it stops furthest away from the camera was indicating that the track had dipped there, which the owner then corrected with some packing).

Incidently the yellow Millie, 'Jeanie Deans', Roundhouse reckon is the first Millie with the cab option that they have painted in yellow.

Chris Cairns

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:58 pm

We all love a bit of Millie magic! You are right, you don't see many yellow ones!