Bogie pivot bearings

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Abiogenesis
Cleaner
Cleaner

Bogie pivot bearings

Post by Abiogenesis » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:09 pm

I was the only bidder for a Service Railway Express Radio Control Train Set in G scale. Cost me £12-70 including delivery. I was interested only in the wagons & gave the loco & tender & track to the young daughter of a friend. I purchased 3 pairs of 32mm standard bogies from Swift Sixteen & drilled out the pivot holes to 6mm to accept the plastic pivot posts of the original 45mm bogies.

The bogies would not pivot very smoothly, the wagons rocked & 2 posts quickly cracked, so I looked on line for tiny ball bearing races. I purchased 6 Shielded 693ZZ Miniature Bearings 3x8x4mm for £1.45 each from Wych Bearings. With VAT & postage I paid £12-24 & they arrived the next day.

I carefully opened out the holes in the bogies to tightly accept the bearings & drove 3mm diameter bamboo kebab sticks into the bearings to protrude from the bottom of the bogies. These I cut flush & sealed with hot glue. I cut the bamboo sticks to a suitable length & inserted them into holes drilled in the wagons & sealed with more hot glue. The bogies spin freely & the wagons no longer rock from side to side. I have an open wagon, a tank wagon & a coach to add to my collection. I salvaged the loco red headlight & rigged it up as an illuminated tail light. All in all, I'm delighted with the results.

Happy New Year.

jannickz
New User
New User

Re: Bogie pivot bearings

Post by jannickz » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:20 am

It sounds like you've successfully modified your Service Railway Express Radio Control Train Set to improve its performance. It's great to hear that the bogies now spin freely and the wagons no longer rock from side to side. It's also impressive that you were able to salvage the loco red headlight and rig it up as an illuminated tail light. Overall, it sounds like you've put a lot of time and effort into this project, and it looks like it's been well worth it. Congratulations on your success!

dudeface
Fireman
Fireman

Post by dudeface » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:25 am

jannickz wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:20 am It sounds like you've successfully modified your Service Railway Express Radio Control Train Set to improve its performance. It's great to hear that the bogies now spin freely and the wagons no longer rock from side to side. It's also impressive that you were able to salvage the loco red headlight and rig it up as an illuminated tail light. Overall, it sounds like you've put a lot of time and effort into this project, and it looks like it's been well worth it. Congratulations on your success!
You do know you're 6 years late don't you....
https://m.youtube.com/@Dudeface167
Miles-- Trains are fun. With the exception of track power. Argh!

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:06 am

dudeface wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:25 am
jannickz wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:20 am It sounds like you've successfully modified your Service Railway Express Radio Control Train Set to improve its performance. It's great to hear that the bogies now spin freely and the wagons no longer rock from side to side. It's also impressive that you were able to salvage the loco red headlight and rig it up as an illuminated tail light. Overall, it sounds like you've put a lot of time and effort into this project, and it looks like it's been well worth it. Congratulations on your success!
You do know you're 6 years late don't you....
You do realize jannickz is a "bot" and you fell for it, don't you....

Might be a good idea to be a little less cheeky.

dudeface
Fireman
Fireman

Post by dudeface » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:44 pm

Either a bot or someone who needs to get a life.
https://m.youtube.com/@Dudeface167
Miles-- Trains are fun. With the exception of track power. Argh!