Royal Mail - Customs charge

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Royal Mail - Customs charge

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:33 pm

I have been hit with two different amounts of charges this week from buying garden railway items outside the EU leaving me just under £100 out of pocket.

These charges have never been applied to items I have bought before and I wonder due to Brexit this is just another example of the UK being punished.

Another reason why I voted out!

Rant over...

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Re: Royal Mail - Customs charge

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:03 pm

From the USA? Made an offer on a Regner on the se lounge and then scared myself with the likely duty and royal mail fees... Been caught in the past. Won't it be worse after Brexit with duties from European countries?

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:48 pm

Currently you have to pay duty, VAT and a fee on all imports from countries outside EU if the value is above £50. It's been like that for a long time. Imports from EU countries are duty free and you pay the VAT in the country you buy from. No fee from RM as the shipments don't have to be processed for duty and VAT.

When you leave EU, ALL shipments above a threshold value (It could change from the £50 it is today) will have duty, VAT and fees added. Effectively all non-domestic goods will end up costing you more after Brexit.
Last edited by Busted Bricks on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:03 pm

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app ... /a_id/143/

Any goods imported into the UK over the value of £15 are liable to import VAT.

This 'value added tax' is set by the EU.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:51 am

I dont think there will be an end to VAT, we set our own rates and it is too lucrative to disappear. Wasn't it purchase tax before?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:09 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:03 pm https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app ... /a_id/143/

Any goods imported into the UK over the value of £15 are liable to import VAT.

This 'value added tax' is set by the EU.
The actual rate of VAT is set by each by each member country. Cameron raised it from 17.5% to 20% in Osborne's 'emergency budget' of 2010. Seems as if his 'emergency' is not yet over.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:15 am

Guys I don't think you understand my point here.

This is an additional charge set by the EU and not VAT or anything else.

MikeD
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by MikeD » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:47 am

I don't think there's any extra charge set by the EU - in fact as people have said, imports from the the EU have no charges.

Anything over £15 imported from the outside the EU is liable to the normal UK tax (VAT at 20%, unless something like books, which don't have VAT added), plus import duty if the value is over £135 (I think) then the carrier will add another charge for collecting the duties - Royal Mail charge £8 for this.

After Brexit, I expect we will have to pay these duties for imports from the EU as well, so it will add considerably to the cost of buying stuff from Europe...

Mike D

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:55 am

Tom, did you get this on good authority from Boris Johnson? :D :D

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:24 am

More importantly - what did you buy..? not the Regner I was second in line :(

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:29 am

EU only stipulates VAT should be above 15% and each contry sets the actual rate. They are also allowed to make exemptions. For instance in UK you have a lower VAT rate on some goods. In Denmark it is 25% on all goods. Countries not in the EU also have VAT. VAT was not introduced by EU, they just try to ensure it does not differ too much from member state to member state. The is no separate EU VAT levied on anything you import. I'm sure VAT will still be around after Brexit. You might even see it raised.At the moment you pay no duty on imports from other EU countries. That may well change.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:28 am

I also voted out and i don’t mind saying so. But why should we have to pay more when we leave, just don’t but from any other country, make it here and create more jobs... :thumbup:

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:51 am

FWLR wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:28 am I also voted out and i don’t mind saying so. But why should we have to pay more when we leave, just don’t but from any other country, make it here and create more jobs... :thumbup:
You could have done that all along, no one is forced to buy imported goods.

With regards to fees on import clearance I do have an issue with that. I think they are out of proportion with the value of the goods imported. Here the fee is nearly £24 on all shipments above £36 in value (value = price of goods plus shipping cost). Since the posta service already has a monopoly of sorts, they can set the fee as they please. I know it takes time to process a shipment but taking into account the minimum wage, £24 seems excessive for what is only a few minutes work per package.

How much of a fee do RM slap on?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:44 pm

Recent orders in total for charges and handling were £15.66 and the other one was a whopping £49.98!

I don't have the paperwork to hand so I will check what Royal Mail actually charged me.

Items were sent from US and Australia.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Bad week then Tom, I won the raffle at Westbury show and I'm a hundred quid in pocket :D :D

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:08 pm

The pain in the behind with collecting customs dues is the amount of paperwork it generates for Royal Mail. Not only do they have to collect the fee, but process the blooming paperwork. In my day (late 1990s) RM charged a couple or three quid, which was basically 20 minutes of the PHG's time for pratting about with their paperwork, and back then there seemed to be no consideration given to how much time we lost delivering doing the Customs' dirty work for them. Bit of a pain all around not just for the customer but for the postie as well.

Peter in Va.
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:13 pm

This is certainly one to watch out for if ordering from abroad.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:42 am

bazzer42 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:28 pm Bad week then Tom, I won the raffle at Westbury show and I'm a hundred quid in pocket :D :D
Some people are born lucky... :lol: :lol:

The charges are ridiculously high i agree and it really does put people off buying, but if we want it, it has to be paid and there is not a lot we can do about it really... :( :(

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:25 am

Once you have been stung (my USA trains days) you become more wary. Ebay.de is a favourite haunt of mine for odd lgb and playmobil bits, no duty and sometimes the postage can be little more than UK postage.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:48 am

That’s true Derek, i like the bay for that reason, but i watch out for the unscrupulous traders and individuals on there though.