Post by philipy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:00 pm

Looks better and better with every set of piccy's :thumbright:
Philip

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Re: Otto bash

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:45 pm

That's a really lovely looking loco Rik. It's absolutely dripping in character. I look froward to seeing her carrying full livery and out at work on your lovely line. :thumbleft:

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Killian Keane » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:48 pm

She looks a stunner Rik, quite a transformation from the original otto, well done :thumbleft:
Blokes with tea can build anything

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:44 am

Love this Rik, can you make me one lol. :D :D :D

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:47 am

Wow! what a difference some grey makes. As Andrew said, dripping with character, love the stays on the spectacle plate. Great job Rik. Would look good in a rather faded livery me thinks (hint, hint)
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:52 am

Thanks chaps. It's the usual case, now I've made one I know how I ought to have done the job. Not sure I'd want to make another, though - part of the fun is figuring out how to solve each problem as it arises.

When she's finished, I'd say my outlay; secondhand Otto, batteries, radio control, materials, paint, glue, solder etc.; will be around Β£120. A lot cheaper than buying an 'off the shelf' battery loco such as a Roundhouse Little John diesel (Β£582). And I also have the satisfaction of running something which won't be seen on any other garden railway.
FWLR wrote: ↑Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:44 am Love this Rik, can you make me one lol. :D :D :D
To answer your tongue in cheek question, Rod ;) , if I totted up the hours, and then even only charged Β£10/hour, it would make the cost of making one for someone else prohibitive - probably about the same as a new live steam loco. I'd be more than happy to guide someone through the build process though. :thumbup:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:07 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:52 am Thanks chaps. It's the usual case, now I've made one I know how I ought to have done the job. Not sure I'd want to make another, though - part of the fun is figuring out how to solve each problem as it arises.

When she's finished, I'd say my outlay; secondhand Otto, batteries, radio control, materials, paint, glue, solder etc.; will be around Β£120. A lot cheaper than buying an 'off the shelf' battery loco such as a Roundhouse Little John diesel (Β£582). And I also have the satisfaction of running something which won't be seen on any other garden railway.
FWLR wrote: ↑Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:44 am Love this Rik, can you make me one lol. :D :D :D
To answer your tongue in cheek question, Rod ;) , if I totted up the hours, and then even only charged Β£10/hour, it would make the cost of making one for someone else prohibitive - probably about the same as a new live steam loco. I'd be more than happy to guide someone through the build process though. :thumbup:

Rik
Wow Rik that is a great price and yes you are right, it probably would be the same has an R-T-R, but has you say it is unique and it certainly gets my vote for the best kit bashed model of the year. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks for the 'works grey' images Rik, I just knew it would show the model to its best advantage. Sorry not to have replied earlier but I have been separated from my laptop due to a visit to the Great Dorset Steam Fair for the first time...... pictures may follow in another thread.
With even more detailing to come this has to be a top class conversion.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Great pics Rik - love all the detail - the grey does bring it out
Where did I put that uncoupler?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:44 pm

Part 12 - Emerging from the paint shop
Her first outing from the paintshop.
IMG_6337.JPG
IMG_6337.JPG (101.27 KiB) Viewed 5557 times

I decided the spectacle plate was too low and so raised it by around 8mm. It was a bit of an effort but I feel happier now that she looks a little more like the original - slightly ungainly and, as someone said, slightly Emett-like.
IMG_6343.JPG
IMG_6343.JPG (121.48 KiB) Viewed 5557 times

There is, of course, still plenty to do. The driver doesn't have any knobs to turn, levers to pull or gauges to tap.
IMG_6338.JPG
IMG_6338.JPG (107.34 KiB) Viewed 5557 times

..... and then there's a a fine array of copper pipework which needs to be arrayed over the boiler and running plate.
IMG_6346-001.JPG
IMG_6346-001.JPG (90.5 KiB) Viewed 5557 times

So, a couple more days' tweaking and I think she'll be ready to join the roster.

Mind you, she does look a bit too pristine and shiny for a working loco.................

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:17 pm

I am not worthy to view your Plastikard skills Rik, great job all the same!

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:29 pm

"Every day, in every way, it's getting better and better"
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:33 am

Great modelling Rik, hope to achieve some modicum of skill such has your’s... :thumbup:

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:11 am

And so to Green - as others have said, very impressive!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks folks

I did a quick test run yesterday and I must admit, she does look good chuffing through the foliage.
I've been out all day for a walk in the Peak District (the Roaches) so no chance yet to make a start on the titivations. I'll keep you posted as to developments. I know from past experience that it's a bit like housebuilding - the finishing touches can take as long as the major engineering which preceded it.

Rik
------------------------

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:00 pm

She looks reet grand! I know what you mean about the titivating part of the process. It always takes me about four times as long to fit all the various bits and pieces to my carriages as it does to make the basic body. The motivation to make forwards progress declines significantly once I have something that runs.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:36 pm

IrishPeter wrote: ↑Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:00 pm The motivation to make forwards progress declines significantly once I have something that runs.
I think I have the same mentality!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:12 pm

Splendid looking job Rik. I have a very soft spot for English 3ft gauge stuff. The extent of some of the systems was considerable and sadly not very well remembered.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:15 pm

Big Jim wrote: ↑Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:12 pm I have a very soft spot for English 3ft gauge stuff. The extent of some of the systems was considerable and sadly not very well remembered.
I agree Jim. Three foot gauge systems seem to me to have been very workmanlike - though the Southwold and the the Rye & Camber (and to some extent the original Ravenglass & Eskdale) were a bit more whimsical - maybe it's because they were seaside railways.......

I have a soft spot for the Southwold and am delighted that the SR Trust has now, at long last, somewhere to run trains - albeit to a limited extent (for now....). They're talking now of making a replica Cleminson Moy open wagon.

Happy days

Rik
PS - See you on Saturday all being well.
------------------------

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:11 am

I'm very late to this thread Rik, and have been playing catch up on the forum this week, having spent a fortnight in the Midlands working on my daughter's house, so all I can do is echo what everyone else has said - a brilliant piece of kitbashing/remodelling. I used to make model boats, and was more drawn to the detailing side of things, and scrounging odd items for detail parts becomes a bit of a hobby! Sadly, the easy access to digital photography wasn't around then, so all my photo's tended to be generic shots of the completed models.
Your solution to the sound problem is ingenious - but as the firebox door is open, can you find room for a flicker effect red LED? :lol:
Brilliant job
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077