WeeBee safety valves

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

WeeBee safety valves

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:51 pm

Anyone have any experience using these with their locos?

I don't see the point of them for gas firing as if you are blowing off (get it, blowing off) constantly you just need to turn the gas down but for coal firing they would be useful.

philipy

Re: WeeBee safety valves

Post by philipy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:30 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:51 pm
I don't see the point of them for gas firing as if you are blowing off (get it, blowing off)
The only possible response to that question is a very loud Rasberry!
Philip

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:52 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:51 pm Anyone have any experience using these with their locos?

I looked at the WeeBee a while back for a specific project, as they are close to scale size and have a good reputation, but in the event, I ended up using a small conventional design from the ARMIG construction manual published by G1MRA.

I've no direct experience of using the WeeBee design, but I was talking to Brian Wilson about them at the GSSU. He had fitted one to his 7/8" Hunslet Jack model and was very happy with it. Can't remember if it was a gas fired loco, or was coal fired.

The WeeBee safety valve on Brian's loco was working very nicely while I was watching it. It opened and closed very fast, so it maintained pressure within close limits, wasn't picking up water and was quiet in operation. They are set for 60 psi and as far as I know, they aren't adjustable, which was the main reason I didn't get one to try out.

Regards,
Graeme

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback Graeme.