Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Deltang RX65b shuttle mode

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue May 09, 2017 10:45 am

Reading Rik's blog again about shuttle mode:

https://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2015 ... -with.html

I want to run my diesel/IoM coach as a push/pull service so I would like to use this function. I don't have any spare channels left though on the Tx24 using the diesel so can I just wire up a hidden switch or push button to pad 8 on the Rx65b to activate/deactive shuttle service?

I take it I then wire up a reed switch (not sure what pads to use) and then use magnets to stop then switch direction of the loco?

philipy

Re: Deltang RX65b shuttle mode

Post by philipy » Tue May 09, 2017 3:48 pm

Tom,
I haven't done it myself yet, but its on my to-do list to run my railcars on a shuttle service sometimes, and I was planning to do exactly what you've suggested.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 09, 2017 4:08 pm

Hi Tom / Philip

Yes, in effect what you need to do is be able to break the connection between Pad 8 (if that's the pad you intend using for the input) and the reed switch - or 0v and the reed switch. You can do this using an onboard switch.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue May 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Just thought, if I don't bother with the switch then the shuttle mode will be actviate all the time?

This would not be such a problem as the magnets could only be placed on the track when needed?

Many thanks your help Rik.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 09, 2017 4:19 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:45 am Can I just wire up a hidden switch or push button to pad 8 on the Rx65b to activate/deactive shuttle service?
I take it I then wire up a reed switch (not sure what pads to use) and then use magnets to stop then switch direction of the loco?
Hi Tom
To be more specific in answering your questions.

The switch need to be an on/off switch - a push-button wouldn't do the job.

I used P8 to trigger the shuttle mode (you could program any pad for this input). When the reed switch runs over a magnet, it connects P8 to 0v, which is the trigger for the shuttle mode. The loco then slows to a halt, waits for a predetermined length of time (depending on what you program it to wait) and then reverses, slowly building up speed. When it passes over another magnet the process is repeated.

Your isolation switch needs to go in between the reed switch and either the P8 or 0v lead. Then, if the switch is in the 'off' position, passing over the magnet will not connect P8 to 0v and so the shuttle procedure won't be triggered. When the switch is in the 'on' position, passing over the magnet will allow 0v to be connected to P8.

Hope that makes sense.

Rik
tom_tom_go wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 4:14 pm Just thought, if I don't bother with the switch then the shuttle mode will be actviate all the time?
This would not be such a problem as the magnets could only be placed on the track when needed?
PS - Your latest post has just arrived while I was typing the above. Yes. if you don't place any magnets on the track, that will have the same effect.
------------------------

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed May 10, 2017 10:01 pm

Probably a silly question.
If the TX is then activated with that automatically cancel the shuttle function?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 11, 2017 9:02 am

Big Jim wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 10:01 pm Probably a silly question.
If the TX is then activated with that automatically cancel the shuttle function?
Hi Jim
Yes, if you use the Tx, it will bring the loco back under its control. The Tx is needed to set up the initial speed and direction but once the loco is going you can turn it off (or switch to another Selecta channel if using Tx22 or Tx24). However, if you then run over a magnet, the Rx will then go into shuttle mode again so it doesn't cancel it, it overrides it.

The video sort of shows this towards the end ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drxH1UMhcmc

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu May 11, 2017 1:55 pm

ge_rik wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 4:19 pm When the reed switch runs over a magnet, it connects P8 to 0v, which is the trigger for the shuttle mode. The loco then slows to a halt, waits for a predetermined length of time (depending on what you program it to wait) and then reverses, slowly building up speed. When it passes over another magnet the process is repeated.

Rik, Not wishing to hijack Tom's thread but this is relevant.
Passing over the magnet triggers the shuttle, it stops and reverses back over the same magnet. Simple logic says that should trigger it again, so presumably there is some inbuilt programming which tells it to ignore the first magnet trigger after reversing?
A further question - are the shuttle and station stop modes a 'choose one or the other' option? My proposed shuttle route passes an intermediate Halt station and I was thinking about mounting two reed switches, on opposite sides of the vehicle, with shuttle on one side and station stop on the other?
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu May 11, 2017 3:48 pm

philipy wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 1:55 pm
ge_rik wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 4:19 pm When the reed switch runs over a magnet, it connects P8 to 0v, which is the trigger for the shuttle mode. The loco then slows to a halt, waits for a predetermined length of time (depending on what you program it to wait) and then reverses, slowly building up speed. When it passes over another magnet the process is repeated.
A further question - are the shuttle and station stop modes a 'choose one or the other' option? My proposed shuttle route passes an intermediate Halt station and I was thinking about mounting two reed switches, on opposite sides of the vehicle, with shuttle on one side and station stop on the other?
I think for this you would need to use either buffer-stop or auto-shuttle and then set the time it takes to get to the intermediate halt and program that in.

So it would be something like:

Menu - 3, Pad - 8, Station stop and continue - 10, Time to stop - 4, Fixed pause time - 6 (60s which is the max)

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu May 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Tom, the example on the Deltang site gives:
Example:
1. Enable Stop & Reverse (eg: 3,4,8,6,7 = Menu3, P4, Stop&Reverse, 6s deceleration, Random pause).
2. Connect reed switch between P4 and Negative.
3. Install magnet between tracks.

Thats fine for what we were both intending, running a shuttle service.

I can't see why using, say, P3 and substitute Stop & Continue for Stop and Reverse, as well with two physically separated reed switches and magnets, wouldn't allow both functions to work on the same train/Rx. However since the Deltang instructions are so unintuitive I may be completely wrong, which is why I asked.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 11, 2017 6:58 pm

Hi chaps. Yes, it would be nice if it could do both with different reed switch triggers for them but unfortunately it's either/or I'm afraid. Like you, I thought it would be great to have a shuttle with an intermediate stop, but when I enquired of David if it was feasible, the answer was negative.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri May 12, 2017 1:47 pm

Thanks Rik. Shame.
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun May 21, 2017 9:38 am

Rik, what reed switches do you use as I would need micro ones to fit?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi Tom
Got them on eBay. They are about 20mm when the wires are bent - these seem to be similar to the ones I bought - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262968016281

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun May 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Thanks Rik, found these from a UK supplier so should have them this week :thumbup: