Peterborough

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Peterborough

Post by markoteal » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:23 pm

Well done chaps - great to see the forum members leading the way!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:31 am

I had a really good time at the show. I managed to meet a fair number of forum members as well as most of the suppliers I have talked to over the years on the telephone, including Harri from Roundhouse, and the proprietors of Locoworks, Brandbright, DJB, Swift Sixteen, IP engineering, as well as Brian, Doug, Zack,Tag Gorton, and especially Tony Bird, who let me hang around his club layout and drive a couple of engines. I met other people too but if I didn't mention your name you'll have to forgive me because I was in a bit of a daze. I stood by the Roundhouse display and talked with a nice fellow who I ought to remember-one of Doug's friends. I bought more detail parts for my Roundhouse "Billy", which will effectively double its weight, some little figures, and a semaphore signal from Roundhouse. I didn't even have a chance to see everything. One day is too short for an extravaganza like this. I will be trying to go next year.

I only have two regrets, one was to forget my entire book of raffle tickets at home, and the other, I really ought to have brought my "Billy" after all. It would have been really cool to have run it at the show and to get a picture of it beside "Vixen"...

Oh well, I will be back next year. I especially enjoyed meeting people whom I considered to be friends, even though I only knew them from the internet. What a surprise to discover that people and things on the internet actually exist in real life, and Tony really is the brilliant builder he appears to be, and Doug really is a very affable chap, and garden railways are really as much fun as they appear. May wonders never cease!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:36 am

Tony is a very decent chap, the old man and I spent a good few minutes talking about scratch built engines with him!
If you spent some time with him then you probably did see me a few times; the tall, young bloke in the wheelchair being pushed around by the much older man with much shorter hair!

I think next year, we should definitely plan an internet meet up!

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:00 pm

I was hard to miss in my blue high vis and very concerned / boarderline suicidal facial expression all weekend but then we obviously missed each other!
Next year will be easier hopefully...
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:37 pm

You weren't that bad Laurence, it was an improvement on last years mood
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:20 pm

Laurence - I definitely detected a smile as you were watching us all come in through the big doors at 10am - one of relief no doubt!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:03 am

Pretty sure 'Captain Bluebeard' enjoyed himself too...! ;) [was good to catch up down Milton Keynes way the following Monday Laurence. Cheers for the excuse for the drive out. The new alloys have transformed my car btw ;) ]

It was a pretty good show everyone. I had the pleasure of meeting up with Keith S after seven years of knowing each other through the Mamod Forums as well as exhibiting on Tony's layout along with catching up with a load of friends. Great show, in for next year. :)

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:18 pm

It's always a nice feeling opening the doors but then its all go until closing time and then its full throttle until everyone's gone home...
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:04 pm

Then a few days till one gets thier energy back after such a huge, fun but tiring event! I know when I run at public steam ups, I am out of a "train mood" for a few days till I recover and regenerate myself. But that could be due to my autism somewhat. As its the socializing aspect that I find super tiring. Maybe someday I can make the trip from the USA for this show, its at the top of my bucket list! Till then, keep the pics and videos coming. Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

dizzysteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by dizzysteamer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:52 pm

Hi All
Brilliant lovely show, I arrived a bit late really to put my efforts on the stand but the guys on the steammodelloco stand where very accommodating, it was lovely to talk to like minded people, throughout the whole building there was so much to see, I asked several people if they were forum members they said they are 16mm members but don't use the forum. We really should have organised a meeting spot for a meet up maybe next year :D

Hopefully next year I may actually meet a few members although I got to know a few of the steamodelloco group who were very friendly and a joy to chat too.
We bought lots of stock items for building and came back with a lovely Locomotive and a few buildings to help us on our way.

Steph
Amateur engineer,  frustrated would be locomotive driver😊