Taking models on an aeroplane, and the Peterborough show

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Ron Chatt
New User
New User

Post by Ron Chatt » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:26 am

could you not freight it across DHL do some good deals I use them when I order stuff from US or Canada to Aus

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:57 pm

I will have a locomotive with me, come and find me and you can run it on the modular if you want to run something.
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks, Laurence!

Bit of an interesting update: the company I work for, in an astonishing co-incidence, is sending one of our aeroplanes to England for a "C check" at BAe on April 1st. This is the first day of my holidays and the day I was planning to go to England anyway. I have asked for and received permission to be crewed on the ferry flight, so I will in fact be able to take myself and my steam engine to England with no airport security hassles. Now I won't be returning the same way, but if I go by BAe on the way home and drop off the engine, the returning crew will be able to bring it home for me. Maybe they will let me stay in England and bring the plane home, too.

Not a definite solution (still have to figure out how to get the engine home for sure) but a possibility at least.

Now does anyone know if I need a boiler certificate? There has been a lot of talk about this. I know nothing about the subject personally. Will I even be allowed to run my engine at the show? It's a Roundhouse kit built. I have the original certificate of course.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:29 pm

As long as you have the original Certificate and have done your annual steam test and have public liability insurance or an active 16mm membership (Cause they're the same) then I have no problem with it.

(btw that's me speaking as Show Director)

As for running on a layout, an email to one of the layout owners is recommended...

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:14 pm

Thanks, sounds fair enough. I keep forgetting it's a show and not an "open day"! I suppose it's cheeky to just show up with a train hoping to run it. I'm just excited about the show. You see there are NO railways, clubs, or even fellow enthusiasts where I live. My friends regard my interest in garden railways as an unusual affectation.

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:27 pm

You'll be among a lot of like minded people so I wouldn't worry about that.

How long are you in the Uk for?

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:06 pm

From the 2nd until around the 11th, I think. I am a little vague on timing because I try to waft about the world on jumpseat passes rather than paying for aeroplane tickets. Sometimes this involves a bit of waiting.