Has anybody else found the Railway seems to initiate garden

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
dizzysteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Has anybody else found the Railway seems to initiate garden

Post by dizzysteamer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:46 pm

Clear ups lol, Since we started to put together the Pasty and Serpentine Railway, I have found my mind seems to see the permanent way disappearing around corners not yet cleared away yet😯
This in turn as made me dig into the hidden corners of our garden, Weed, and clear out parts I have never seen in the 6years we have been here.
Am I alone in doing this or is this part of the hidden culture of Garden Railway passions. I am not a gardener in any real sense but i seem to be looking at small tree's and plants now from an entirely new angle. We have even started to find out how to propagate moss.
My conclusion after only four months is this hobby is way way bigger than I could possibly imagined and so complex in its variety it needs more than a life time to for fill all your idea's

We both love it so far and hope soon to reach our first milestone and run proper live steam.
New track plan extensions all ready in progress roll on good weather and Peterbourough show :D

Steph and Gloria
Amateur engineer,  frustrated would be locomotive driver😊

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:22 pm

Agreed Steph, until I began my railway I had no experience of garden plants as my wife is our gardener, and very good at it too! With the development of my line, together we have added new miniature plants and opened up a new world to me. I still don't know which are weeds but I enjoy the chance to learn new things.
The possibilities seem endless to make a garden railway come to life and should continue without ever being complete.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:34 am

I think you've hit the nail on the head, one of the mind broadening aspects of garden railways is the large variety of skills it covers. Gardening (as you have mentioned) civil engineering, metalwork, wood work, painting, electrical, and electronics, the list probably goes on. I could add patience, but I'm not sure about that, it certainly tries mine at times.
Grant.