Returning

This is the place to talk about news, TV, music and other hobbies
Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Returning

Post by Dwayne » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:27 am

Hiya folks. Returning after a more or less abrupt departure which came about as the result of my wife and I separating after 12 years of marriage. Sort of took the steam (no pun intended) out of playing with trains.

I've had a chance to regroup since and though the wife and I haven't started with any divorce proceedings, I foresee it as inevitable and a matter of time. Her parent's are starting to suffer health issues back up in Canada and I'm lead to believe she'll be returning there soon. Nothing to keep her in Oklahoma now that we're no longer a viable couple.

I'll post a bit more regularly in the coming weeks as I'm considering redoing the now sorely neglected layout. Something new and fresh.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:56 am

Welcome back Mate, more hand laid track or can you salvage what you had? At the rate you build track, a new lot is probably quicker ;)
Grant.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:37 am

Sad news Dwayne, sorry to hear about your domestic issues, glad to see you back with us.
You will have plenty to occupy yourself and keep your mind active.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:35 am

welcome back

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:40 am

Looking forward to seeing new work from you, keep.smiling...

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:58 am

Nice to see you back.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks all. I'm doing very well in spite of the turn of events. I'll post up on the new layout as I develop my ideas. :)

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:56 pm

Sorry about your problems, but good to see you back again.
Philip

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:01 pm

How are the pipes? (You know, the Dwayne pipes............)

:sign5:
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Hello Dwayne,

I'd been wondering where you had got to. Your contributions have been missed so it's really good to see you back. It's sad to hear about your problem though.

I'm sure everyone who followed your fantastic progress previously is looking forward to hearing updates on whatever you do next.

All the best,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:36 pm

Thanks everyone. Such is life. This is my second and final rodeo. Getting too old for the drama and hassle of having a woman in  my life.

Okay, onward and outward...

(edit: started a thread on this layout in Railways & Layouts at the follow link... http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/sutr ... php#123433 )

I used my high tech ROW tool (the garden hose) to draw out the new layout track plan of the Nomaim Tramway. Since it was a bit short for my aerial photo, I filled in the gap between the two ends in Paint.

The track footage comes out to about 100 feet of mainline.

At the trunk of the pecan tree at top dead center of the photo will be two town locations. On the left is the town of Figment. To the right side will be Imagination.

The two towns are connected by a short section of "hidden" main which will be used for those times when I just want to run trains round and round continuously. Otherwise, the two towns are not connected and the layout will be operated as a point-to-point railway with hidden main not under a tunnel or vegetation canopy will function as short sidings.

This siding at Figment will be where the Figment Mine will be located. A second siding along the layout edge will enable switching the mine.

The counterpart siding at Imagination will be were Imagination Mill sits.  Two sidings will be located along the edge of the layout for switching and car storage.

Thus, figment ore is extracted at the Figment Mine and shipped around the layout to the mill at Imagination where it is processed into 'fiction', an essential ingredient necessary in the model railroad community.

The layout will be raised about 6 inches on the right (east) side and about 12 inches on the left (west) side. The track will be as kept as level as possible. The opening between the two loops on the left will be the mouth of a valley that will allow me to walk into the middle of the layout. Where the inner loop folds back the track will cross the valley (narrower at this end) on a trestle bridge. At this location there will be a short passing siding.

The topography within the interior of the layout will be comprised of low hills where the track will hug the hill sides similar to the High Line of the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad with the hillsides sloping down past the tracks to the existing original ground level.

At Figment and Imagination the plan is to use repurposed pressure treated timbers (from the small green house that I tore down... the faint square footprint of it's prior location can be seen in the center of the interior loop) cut to length and set on end to be used as retaining walls for the track and allow for me to get up close to throw the switches/points.

Overall, this is an extremely simple track plan. Point-to-point for when I want to actually perform switch ops and a loop when I want to just watch a train go in circles. Level track will make my single live steamer happy.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:45 am

LNR:123404 wrote:Welcome back Mate, more hand laid track or can you salvage what you had? At the rate you build track, a new lot is probably quicker  ;)
Grant.
I'll salvage the existing track and reuse where possible if the curvature works. Where it doesn't fit I'll strip off the ties, rebend the rail and respike to new ties. The previous layout had eight switches and one wye. The new layout will leave me with the wye and two left hand switches. I may use these in a wye configuration and have a spur line go off to my new shed where I store my motorcycles (another hobby of mine) for an indoor storage track to eliminate the need of picking up my equipment.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:50 am

MDLR:123419 wrote:How are the pipes? (You know, the Dwayne pipes............)

:sign5:
For the moment just fine even if not in use. Never know what the future holds. For all I know fate has my destiny set to do a head on collision with some unsuspecting gal. This I know, I'll gladly enjoy the company of a lovely lass but never go the route of matrimony a third time. I'll leave that family record to my second oldest brother. :D

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:53 am

Soar Valley Light:123420 wrote:Hello Dwayne,

I'd been wondering where you had got to. Your contributions have been missed so it's really good to see you back. It's sad to hear about your problem though.

I'm sure everyone who followed your fantastic progress previously is looking forward to hearing updates on whatever you do next.

All the best,

Andrew

Thank you Andrew. A new line is in the works. Definitely am impressed by the progress you've made on your railway. Great job. :thumbright:

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:09 pm

Dwayne:123432 wrote:Thus, figment ore is extracted at the Figment Mine and shipped around the layout to the mill at Imagination where it is processed into 'fiction', an essential ingredient necessary in the model railroad community.
........ and in politics, too!

I once had an idea for a bumf mine, which was a wholly government owned and operated facility!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:20 pm

MDLR:123469 wrote:
Dwayne:123432 wrote:Thus, figment ore is extracted at the Figment Mine and shipped around the layout to the mill at Imagination where it is processed into 'fiction', an essential ingredient necessary in the model railroad community.
........ and in politics, too!

I once had an idea for a bumf mine, which was a wholly government owned and operated facility!
You do have a valid point...

“Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.” ― Frédéric Bastiat