Planet T5 Delay

Do you have a problem? Here is the place to appeal for help
williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Planet T5 Delay

Post by williamfj » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:01 pm

I've found that my 6 year old Planet T5 set has a delay between switching the transmitter & receiver on and the receiver recognising the transmitter, is there any way to eliminate that delay? I've rebound them a few times to no avail. On electric locos it isn't a problem but on live steam it is a problem as it automatically opens the regulator and puts the loco in gear which obviously isn't ideal!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:47 pm

Have you tried new batteries for both Rx and Tx?

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Tom, I've tried using a new batteries to no avail, I've tried the other receiver I've got and there's a delay on that recognising the transmitter too.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:26 pm

There is always a delay with Planet sets, and the receivers can do unexpected things if they cannot find their signal so the transmitter should be turned on first, then receiver, and receiver goes off first, then transmitter.

When you turn off the receiver make sure the regulator is shut and the loco is in mid-gear first. Then, when you come to use the loco again, turn the transmitter on before the receiver.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:24 am

My other 2.4ghz sets for my and my wife's RC cars are the same way, slight delay before they are both up and ready. SO its always transmitter on first, then reciever in whatever is being controled, be it a car, plane or a train. Wild things can result if you dont have the transmitter on first. I usualy power up the RC while steam is raised, so even if the engine drops into gear and the throttle opens, there isnt enough steam made yet to do anything. Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:08 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, this was brought about as I'm concerned about the Code transmitter that came with Beddgelert and I tried the Planet set to ensure I've got a short term backup just in case.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:17 pm

I'm intrigued to read that powering up a 2.4GHz receiver first can cause unexpected/wild things to happen.

This was certainly true of the previous 27Mhz/35Mhz/40Mhz/70Mhz systems which relied on crystals and were prone to interference from other sources to varying degrees.

With the 2.4GHz systems my understanding is that once correctly bound, the receiver will only react to the unique GUID (Global Unique Identifier) of the transmitter it was bound to. So on powering up a receiver first (assuming the power pack is producing well above the minimum voltage required) it should only react to any built in failsafe.

On the Planet receivers I understand that the Throttle channel is the only one that has a programmable failsafe, and that is set up each time you power up the transmitter using the position of the throttle control & throttle trim. There are differing views on what the other channels will do - according to J Perkins back in 2009 the other channels will go to their neutral position, although later posts on some R/C forums suggest the other channels will Hold their last position, which is what my Orange RX receivers do.

I use Orange RX DSM2/DSMX receivers with Spektrum & Blade transmitters, and I have 2 locos (one live steam, other battery diesel) which now take longer to bind initially (is this because they have more steel used in their construction compared to my other locos?).
williamfj wrote:as I'm concerned about the Code transmitter that came with Beddgelert
Are you having any particular problems with this Radio Control set up? I have one that came with my Roundhouse Alco, and apart from 8 x AA batteries (compared to 4 x AA batteries for the Spektrum & Blade), I have had no problems so far.

Chris Cairns

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:55 pm

The problem with my Code transmitter is that outer plastic layer on one of the wires on the battery holder has broken, it still works but I'm afraid that one day the wire will break completely.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:08 pm

Chris Cairns:123269 wrote:With the 2.4GHz systems my understanding is that once correctly bound, the receiver will only react to the unique GUID (Global Unique Identifier) of the transmitter it was bound to. So on powering up a receiver first (assuming the power pack is producing well above the minimum voltage required) it should only react to any built in failsafe.
I've not done any great investigation about defaults and failsafes but I'm pretty sure from the many Planet installations I have seen what you describe is what happens. The problems arise when the regulator servo defaults to mid-position when receiving no signal, and so opens the regulator.

As a matter of procedure, on my own locos the first thing I check is whether the r/c is working correctly (too many times I have steamed a loco only to find the r/c doesn't work while it blows its nuts off) and make sure it has regulator shut and mid-gear selected before switching it off and then lighting up.

Some Planet sets take an age to link. I have a 4-channel receiver on a loco that usually takes 10 to 15 seconds to link, but then works fine.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks