Low cost couplers

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
sandy1000
Cleaner
Cleaner

Low cost couplers

Post by sandy1000 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:41 am

I think that the orginal concept was from David Pinniger and if they are in wide use then this topic is a waste but if there is any interest here they are. I use this design as a permanent coupler between my 2 Motor Mules. The ones in the pictures need cleaning up and rounded of not to mention painting.

JCSteam
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by JCSteam » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:50 pm

Neat home made coupler :D
Jon

Have fun steaming
Now put the kettle on....sit back and browse my webpage  http://fwpl.webs.com/

Enginehouse
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Low cost couplers

Post by Enginehouse » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:11 pm

sandy1000:122881 wrote:I think that the orginal concept was from David Pinniger and if they are in wide use then this topic is a waste but if there is any interest here they are. I use this design as a permanent coupler between my 2 Motor Mules. The ones in the pictures need cleaning up and rounded of not to mention painting.
]
For a permanent coupling this might be fine, but when uncoupled the floating end of the plate will drop slightly unless all of the drillings are very precise and not at all oversized. When this happens lifting the plate to slide cleanly into the other uncoupled half to locate the locking pin will be little better than using a three link chain or two hooks and a drop bar.
Cheers

Roy H