Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:45 am

LNR:122990 wrote:Definitely looking forward to the good weather in your part of the world.
Grant.
As we all are, but we don't get too excited as it is so variable. When it is nice the area is magnificent with outstanding scenery, both inland and coastal. We put up with the weather conditions because of that.
I will need some dry spells to do the base-work which will form foundations for the structures and roadways. As yet the village still has no plan so I need to decide on the major buildings before I can design the layout. Hardly Christopher Wren but still enjoyable.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:22 pm

perfect colour peter a lot of big farm houses/manor houses around my area are painted this colour I do like the pub too looks great

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:14 pm

Another masterpiece, Peter. Would be interested in seeing a picture of these more recent buildings in the positions you're intending to place them. You must be getting close to filling the space for the town??

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:30 pm

Thanks again guys, you do spoil me!!!
Apart from glazing the windows the 'big house' is finished. All paintwork is complete, front railings installed and chimney pots attached. I thought such a grand house would be able to have chimney pieces in all rooms so there are eight pots on the roof. Although this is HIP sheet only, I thought it felt quite heavy so took the trouble to weigh it, 3.3 kilos should be enough to hold it in place without additional ballast. It is also strong enough for me to grab it by either of the chimneys and carry it that way with no problem.
I am well pleased with the result and my wife is ready to move in....

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:05 pm

Peter - that is amaaaaaazing - it was looking good as you built it but the finished item and how you have finished it it, is brilliant. Carefully positioned in a real world background, it would be mistaken as 1:1

Mmmmmm - might have to rethink the level of detail one my bird seed hopper loader!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:13 pm

Love the finishing touches, especially the railings

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:16 pm

Wonderful conclusion to an attractive build. The final colours and detail really bring out it's stately presence.
Grant.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:59 pm

ge_rik:123053 wrote: Would be interested in seeing a picture of these more recent buildings in the positions you're intending to place them. You must be getting close to filling the space for the town??
Rik
That sounded like a good idea so I tried all of the village properties in various positions in the space. This is not the final plan but just gives an indication of what can be done there....

Looks OK so far but it has made it clear how much work there is to do to fill the space....

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Amazing, phenomnial, awe inspiring, running out of superlatives, Peter. Looks as though Beckonscot will soon have serious competition!
Philip

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:08 pm

Very nice indeed Peter. The texturing on the walls is absolutely perfect. You certainly appear to have your work cut out to fill that space! I'm looking forward to seeing it all grow.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Having gained some experience on building my structures I decided to re-visit one of my early attempts as I was never satisfied with the way it looked. The coal office was probably the first using the embossed stone effect and I struggled to work out how to fit the windows and door. It looked awkward with them being stuck on the outside so I decided to look again.
This is how it was.......

I was able to get the windows off without damage to the frames, however the glazing had to be sacrificed. Then the shape was cut out around the frames into the walls and a plasticard strip fitted to give depth before re-fitting them A little Milliput into the embossed stonework and a lick of paint and.....

Better!!!

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:15 pm

Very much better! :lol:
Philip

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:29 pm

all looking rather great peter top job

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:48 pm

The difference is remarkable Peter. It was worth the effort, it's given the building 'weight' and depth. I'm very impressed.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:51 pm

As Andrews says, it now looks real and has presence and weight
Where did I put that uncoupler?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:49 pm

The shops are still ongoing with some progress to report. I have now added a chimney stack which will house four pots, put brickwork around the double window shopfront on the left and a textured coating on the single frontage to the right......

I'm trying to follow my 'back-story' and build structures which have relevance to it, so...... the stone quarry was working by the early 1800's and mainly provided material for the local inhabitants, although some was transported by road as best they could at the time. Naturally these vehicles needed maintenance and the local forge was constantly busy during those years. The proprietor's house was built adjacent to the forge and gradually updated as finances and styles altered. When the railway arrived things began to change and the demise of the service was on the cards. However, the present owners attempt to keep the structure in good order and despite the dippy roof it is still structurally sound. In time it will probably be taken on by a craftsman making artistic metalwork for locals and tourists alike as the area develops.......

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:35 am

"A spreading chestnut tree" in the offing perhaps?
Like the roof, very typical for many buildings down here. Were the "Smithy's" doors open you could really go to town with detail.
Grant.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:26 am

The 'dippy' roof is a lovely touch. Very common to see in real life; very rare in models. Looks superb.
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:50 pm

looking very good peter .I do like the sloped roof iv seen this many time and had to repair a fair few in this state .what do you use for your render ??

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:18 pm

Jim, the render is applied to a scratched plastic surface so that a good bond is made. I use a waterproof exterior tile adhesive powder mixed with SBR so that a paste is made which I spread on with a painters palette knife in a very thin layer. It can be smoothed as much or as little as you want with a little water added to the blade. When dry (12 hours) it can be finished with wet/dry paper as you wish and painted as required.
All of the materials are waterproof in their own right so in combination they should combat all weather conditions (I hope!).